Etteilla Pattern Variations and offshoots--shall we explore?

Cerulean

There are at least three patterns and various reproductions. There are offshoots in Spain, France and Italy available via reproduction. There are questions whether there are any English-American variations (likely not?)

For example (and to be edited)

Questions
A Prototype Piquet to Tarot
a) Jeu des Dames (Editions Dussierre and Lo Scarabeo) - French--likely the first after the petit Etteilla?

b) Variation by Dal Negro of Spanish historical deck (sometimes distributed through U.S. Games in the U.S.) - Spanish --> Is this type I? They added Christian Kabbalah references

B
1) Etteilla Type I

2) Etteilla Type II

French - Lismon 1880-1890

3) Etteilla Type III

C. Offshoots

1. Papus - Is this part of Type III?

2. Modiano Trieste Caligstro - is this truly an Etteilla variation

3. Some of the Egyptian styles

Cerulean

A useful start: Mark Filipas essay

http://www.meta-religion.com/Esoterism/Tarot/a_history_of_egyptian_tarot_deck.htm

For now, PLEASE, if there are questions, only about the clear Etteilla variations to the Papus Tarot. There are other threads about 20th-century modern Egyptian tarots in general patterned after Paul Christian's essays--but I noted in C. there are offshoots and those are worthy of there own thread and further study.

At the moment, I'm trying to sort though Etteilla variations that I have come across since reading Mark Filipas essay.

This grew out of a small conversation about Etteilla Type II, which may not have had modern reproductions as of 2005.

Best regards,

Cerulean

Rusty Neon

(1) Etteilla I
"Grand Etteilla I was Etteilla's own pack and its immediate descendants." Decker et al, "Wicked Pack of Cards", p. 147

The photoreproduction deck for this pattern that is the most easily obtainable is the Grimaud edition of the Grand Etteilla. http://www.tarot.com/about-tarot/decks/browsedecks.php?newdeck=9 . Some of the keywords of that edition have been revised from those of earlier printed Etteilla decks. And the card title font is different - It is in mixed case (rather than all caps). The titles are English and French, rather than French only. However, all that said, it's the only Grand Etteilla in print.

There is also another photoreproduction deck for the Etteilla I pattern: the Dusserre edition - a photoreproduction of a circa 1840 specimen at the Bibliothèque nationale in Paris. I was lucky to pick the Dusserre when it was still in print. (However, this should not be confused with the Dusserre Etteilla III mentioned below.)

It should be noted that even the 1840 version (card images from which are reproduced in Kaplan's encyclopedia) has somewhat different keywords from even earlier versions of the Grand Etteilla. The Grand Etteilla deck first was printed circa 1789-89. If I recall correctly, Kaplan's encyclopedia also has images of a pre-1840 Grand Etteilla deck too.

Nonetheless, any differing keywords used in the Grimaud version of the Grand Etteilla are generally Etteilla School synonyms for the card keywords. Ironically, the Grimaud deck's revised keywords make it easier to use for divination.

(2) Etteilla II

To my knowledge, no commercial photoreproduction decks are available for this pattern.

This pattern is Simon Blocquel's re-working.
Images essentially similar to Etteilla I but changed in some respects. (In contrast, Etteilla III has totally different imagery from Etteilla I.)
Reference: "Wicked Pack of Cards".

(3) Etteilla III:

e.g.: Tarot Egyptien
Grand Jeu de Oracle des Dames

Éditions Dusserre
http://www.wicce.com/1890egyptien.html
Lo Scarabeo
http://www.tarotpassages.com/etteillathoth-lb.htm

(4) Jeu de la Princesse

The Jeu de la Princesse deck is also Etteilla-based. But it doesn't have a Hoffman/Kroppensedt numbering classification (Grand Etteilla I, II and III). There is no Etteilla IV but if there was, this would be it.

e.g.:

Lo Scarabeo "Ancient Esoteric Tarots"
http://www.learntarot.com/eadesc.htm

Dusserre has or had a photoreproduction of this one too. With original French titles, not Lo Scarabeo's multilingual titles.

Cerulean

Grimaud Grand Etteilla circa 1910 through 1989

1. I think this earlier Grimaud Grand Etteilla resembles the Edition Dussierres 1840:

http://www.gambler.ru/sukhty/decks03/d01612/d01612.htm

Still working through variations....I'll list this with the Editions Dussierre version.

2. I have the 1969 version--someone won it through Ebay and then traded it to me with booklet.

3. The third version in print, I don't have.

Thanks for your information!

Cerulean

TarotBoy

Ok, Im lost with the Etteilla... Can anyone explain to me...?

Cerulean

You are welcome to private mail your question...

or questions....if you feel lost.

The Etteilla pattern was a fashionable style of cards printed for fortune-telling purposes in the 1800s. Tarot fans who like history have read there are variations in the styles printed over time and have called the patterns I, II and III for their different variations...

I hope my explanation means something...I'd be glad to suggest links, if I can find them...you are welcome to post a few questions here. If the questions start going too far off topic, perhaps a private mail would be best.

If I cannot answer the questions, I'll let you know.

Best wishes,

Cerulean

jmd

Not sure what you're asking, TarotBoy.

Think of the Etteilla as a deck to the 19th century as what the Waite Colman Smith is to the 20th: major modifications, highly popular, with a number of variants.

The variants can be classed according to three broad specimens as mentioned above.

TarotBoy

oh heavens no, I'm asking how many types of deck are there.... like book of thoth & esortic ect...

jmd

Etteilla considered that Tarot was the 'book of Thoth', and so would have applied this name to all tarot decks, even if many would be considered as corrupted. Similarly, each would have been considered as having esoteric significance.

The different 'types' of Etteilla decks, then, are all, in some way or other, books of 'Thoth' and incorporating esoteric elements.

The classification into types refer to what can be differentiated in design.

...either that or I'm missing the central part of the question.