Buckland Romani-The Hermit

EminemsAngelBaby

A lone gypsy man stands in the midst of a field holding a lantern before him . It is late into the night and the sky twinkles with stars. The man has a gruff look on his face as he holds out the light. He could be looking for someone who is approaching or checking the field to follow up on a noise. Whatever it is his mood seems solemn.
The fire from his latern lights up the man and gives him a astral like glow. He is heavily dressed, perhaps for the cold, for it seems to be winter. The trees are bare. Behind in the field lies a small tent where he will stay for the night. A small ridge rises out of the field obscuring our view of what lay beyond, but offering protection and privacy.
When I look at the card I hear the stillness of night and he seems to be gazing out into the darkness to see what is there. He is ready to meet whatever he finds and doesn't seem to want any intrusion from strangers. Anyone coming close must have a reason for coming. The light from his latern lights up the field and could be seen from quite a distance. He has not been to bed yet as he is still fully dressed, wearing his coat, a hat on his head. He may be here a while.

Emeraldgirl

He looks wary and on guard to me. He knows some one is coming for him and he is ready.

sharpchick

He looks like he has caught a glimpse of someone or something that is about to disrupt his solitude, and is trying to decide, "friend" or "foe?"

EminemsAngelBaby

One of my friends made the most interesting comment on this card the other day. Although he's holding the lantern up to see what's out there, he's really illuminating himself. I thought that was a really insightful view of the Hermit.

sharpchick

EminemsAngelBaby said:
Although he's holding the lantern up to see what's out there, he's really illuminating himself. I thought that was a really insightful view of the Hermit.

And one I had never considered. . . I'm journalling that one. Thanks for sharing.

silmarillion

perhaps only being able to see as far as the lantern lets him is illustrative of his knowledge of the world being subjective, therefor he cannot see too far outside his own realm. that is mans understanding of himself and the world is limited by what he knows and has learned. perhaps the latern is not fully illuminating his exterior so that others can only see one small part of him and have no idea what is going on on the inside.
perhaps its also saying that self knowledge can get you through the darkness and insecurity of the "night" that is situations where the bigger picture has not yet been full revealed.

Disa

The feeling I get from this card is that he may very well have been sleeping in that tent. "Something" caused him to get up, get dressed, and wait. I feel as with most Hermit cards, that he is not necessarily lighting his own path, but lighting a path for others to follow. Showing them the way if they are in need to seek out his counsel. Though he does look as though he is on alert, one never knows what one may encounter when those stirrings occur in the middle of the night. He knows he is needed and he is ready to assist in whatever capacity is necessary.

The crowned one

SO the first things I noticed: He has a tent set out so either he plans to stay the night or longer, the area around the tent is spotless so he has not been there long.

Looking at his face and knowing lanterns as I do, he is lighting up his area not looking to see someone but rather wanting to be seen. His eyes would be focused somewhere around the bush was he trying to see something, but they are looking into the black. He is frowning slightly a mix of deep thought and disapproval perhaps.

My first thought as to the bag on his hip was holstered gun, if it was this would reinforce the fact that he has no fear as his "draw hand" is holding a Lateran and the holster is shut. After a second look I dismissed the idea as no holster would be slung over the shoulder like that...but first impressions are important. He feels safe.

It is interesting to me that all the trees and bushes are leafless yet the season based on his dress, tent and the beautiful Field of grass would indicate something else.

This fellow has only just become the hermit in my mind.

sharpchick

The crowned one said:
It is interesting to me that all the trees and bushes are leafless yet the season based on his dress, tent and the beautiful Field of grass would indicate something else.

How interesting. . . I saw the field as dried grass covered with frost.

I always felt the season was late winter. . . the time for contemplation and inner soul searching, with no action advised.