NEW.. Labyrinth tarot. Anyone seen it?

shadowdancer

I have just seen a couple of images on the Alida store website. It ihas only just been released by the looks of things.

I have tried to search for further images but really struggled. The artwork looks a lot nicer and user friendly than on the Black tarot.

If anyone does see this deck in its entirity could they post a few comments? In the meantime will keep searching. (Not that I will be buying anything now for a few months but will be curious as to how it looks)

Davina

annik

I have ordered it. I haven't received the deck but I already have the book. By the look of the pictures in the book, there is less ugly guys than in the black tarot. On the other hand, it look like more soft.

FaerieStorm

Does anyone know if the pips are illustrated, or are they generic like the Black Tarot pips?

annik

From what I had read from the book, the pips will be as in the black tarot (I know, it ain't no fun!) I think he decided to follow the Marseille tradition.

Asher

Beautiful book!

I found this book at my local comic book shop.

As mentioned, the artwork is much softer than the Black Tarot. The Majors are illustrated in sepia tone, one to a page (6 x 8.5), with an additional page of text. The text describes the illustration, gives its Hebrew letter, numerical value, astrological attribution (not the Golden Dawn's), some mythological information, and mentions some variations from the Tarot de Marseilles, which Royo used as his inspiration. Royo says "the main reference being the 1736 Marseilles Tarot, which,...is the sharpest and most extensive version." (p.11).

The Minors are pips, shown 3 to a page, with astrological attributions, and breif divinatory meanings. Pentacles are reddish-brown, Cups are reddish-orange, Swords are blue and Wands are green.

Like the Majors, each Court card has a full page illustration, with a brief description & meaning on the opposite page, along with a preliminary sketch by the artist (similar to those in the Fey Tarot companion book).

I look forward to getting the deck as son as it is available here in the states.

TallTarotGuy

This might be of interest...

I just went to the Alida website....and low & behold, they have the Labyrinth Tarot available for sale! They only have 3 card scans, but hey, at least it's something. I pre-ordered mine from Tarot Garden, so hopefully the decks will make their way to the states soon.

TTG :)

janstar17

Alida scans..

I saw the scans on Alida, too, and hope I am not disappointed in this deck. :( There seems to be a lot of border work on this one. I like a fill-up-the-space kind of image on my cards and those seem hard to come by these days.

I've had the Labrynith book for some time now and the images are much softer than those Royo used for The Black Tarot...and a bit more on the 'mystical' side. I like 'em. :D

BlueLotus

I have received this deck today, and although I have not devoted enough time for it yet, I will offer my opinion and observations so far.

The LWB has more detailed information than the LS ones. Justice is VIII and Strength is XI. Suits are Pentacles, Cups, Spades and Wands. Tarot Courts are Jack, Knight, Queen and King.

The cards are smaller than regular tarot cards, more the size of regular playing cards , which would be just fine for those with small(er) hands.

This deck has been created by the same artist of the Black Tarot, and the images on the cards are also miniaturistic, with about an inch of golden borders on upper and lower borders of the cards, similar in size to those on the Tarot of the Ages and figures are as small as those on the 1001 nights, but the colors of the Labyrinth images are much fainter and the pips are unillustrated.

All the majors have the same khaki and whitish tones. Wands are green, Spades are blue, Pentacles are brownish, and Cups are red.
No apparent nudity is there, although a few majors' images contain some form of nudity.

Since pictures speak louder than words, I have scanned the following three cards, the size of which I could not upload to be any larger. You may wish to enlarge them yourselves.

Attachments

• labyrinth~.BMP
    136.5 KB · Views: 364

annik

I had received it today. (finally! *Happy dance*) But after a really quick (very quick) glance, I am left unimpress. I feel less impact than with the black tarot. I do hope it will grow on me.

The king of swords seems a bit tense (holding a swords and a short one). I feel this one is a bit less mysterious and a bit less dangerous than the one in the black tarot. And we see him with a profile. It was not the case with the king of swords of the black tarot. But it is a nice looking card card anyway.

Now, the Queen of swords creep me. She almost make me think she is mutilating herself (or thinking of doing it). I think it could be the most perturbing card I saw in the whole deck. Even if it can be taken more lightly...

BlueLotus

Annik, I find the LT to be more user friendly than the BT as the images adhere to the tarot conventional meanings, and may speak for themselves without the reader having to resort to the LWB , and then to no avail anyway, or trying to decipher the images themselves to relate to the card's meaning .

In fact this new deck has already started growing on me, and I did a few readings with it yesterday and find them quite inspiring.

Here are three more court cards from this deck for those interested in it which you may wish to enlarge as I was unable to upload them larger than this.

Attachments

• LabyrinthCourts.BMP
    144.6 KB · Views: 315