spiral tarot study group - what do you like?

wizzle

Here are some light-hearted questions about this deck to start off our group.

1. What made you buy the deck?
2. Any favorite cards?
3. Any cards that make you giggle?

I bought the deck years ago, just because it looked good, I guess. I've only recently gotten around to taking a real squint at it. I find it a pretty warm and fuzzy deck, overall so I'm glad I bought it.

My favorite card, hands down is the Princess of Wands. The artwork is delightful and the princess and the little dragon pretty much say it all about what the card means. Best imagery for the page/princess of wands around, IMO. I like all of the courts in this deck. They are such personalities and make the courts more accessible to me.

My "giggle" cards are the 8 of wands and the 5 of wands. I somehow find the bully boys in the 5 comical rather than intimidating. Especially the guy who is almost falling backwards trying to stab with his wand. They remind me of the keystone cops. I chuckle at the 8 of wands because I can't quite decide whether Mr. Cloud is puffing or coughing out the wands. At any rate, it's a "poof" moment.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

WhiteRaven

2. Any favorite cards?

The name pulled me to look at the images...after that....well...I use it now don't I ;)

As per which cards I prefer...there are a few that pull me in....The Ace of Swords and it's "eye on YOU"...the Star...and the one that makes me laugh at times is the Devil and his smart-*ss look he has just standing there.

I don't see this deck as "fuzzy" tho....When I think "fuzzy" I think of Hanson Roberts....I've had some profound soul readings with this deck. Some readings are so clear they bite me to wake me up as well. There is a lot more to this deck than just the regular meanings.....if one is into Astrology or Kabbalah then this deck can take you to several levels in a reading. Not to mention adding Numerology as well.

Lot's to study ahead of us I believe.

WR
:)

GoldenWolf

What I Like

1. I probably bought this deck for no definite reason. I know that I let it sit on the shelf for a long time. Then I decided to take it with me to a psychic fair along with my then regular working deck. I felt strongly impressed to use it for one client. As it turned out, the Spiral images were very specific and strongly related to her particular issues. I have seen this happen over and over again with this deck. I could have kicked myself for not working with it sooner! Now that I am trying to expand my knowledge of Qabalah, I appreciate that symbolism on the cards even more.

2. I like a number of Major Arcana but especially the Fool with the angel/Higher Self standing behind him.

3. I don't regard this as a warm and fuzzy deck either though some of the images such as the Princess of Wands are lighthearted. I've seen this deck criticisized because the minors aren't as detailed and tied into mythology the ways the majors are. Given the basic difference between the majors and the minors, this really doesn't bother me that much.

Looking forward to discussing individual cards in depth.

GW

Startarot

What I like

I bought the Spiral tarot many years ago after receiving a reading. I was so captivated by the cards the reader was using that I had to ask her the name of the cards. I love the art work and the deep rich colors. For a long time this was the only deck I used for readings. ( I have since expanded to feed a growing "need" for more decks)
The card I love the most is The Star, the least.. hmmm.. well, I dont think that I have one.. although, I dont much care for the 10 of swords..and the eight of swords does make me chuckle.
I look forward to this study group!
Blessing,
Carole

wizzle

I forgot to mention that I really like the size of these cards. They are on the small side but the art comes across well in spite of that. The Spiral is the easiest deck to shuffle that I have. I have rather short fingers.

I know some folks dislike the contrast between the rich majors and courts and the simpler minors. I've come to appreciate it because some of my other decks are so rich overall, it is almost difficult to key in on the majors. I tend to get entranced by rich cards.

GoldenWolf

Deck Size

I don't have particularly small hands, but I like the size of the Spiral because you can do a fairly good sized layout in a tight space. I use to read at a metaphysical store and the owner had one of those round wooden table with the three legs that screw into it. Someone had done a great job of painting this mandala on the top with all the chakra colors so I understand why he wanted to use it. However, there wasn't much space in which to actually do a spread. I didn't fully appreciate this feature of the Spiral until someone asked me to read with my RWS deck because they were more familiar with the imagery. I had to overlap some cards just so they all fit onto the table top.

bleuivy

Hi everyone! I'm still very new to this deck (I still haven't done a reading with it), but I thought I'd zoom into the group anyway. Mostly, this could be because I like answering questions. :)

wizzle said:
2. Any favorite cards?

1) I still have no idea why I bought this deck. What I mean is that I never really liked the images I'd seen of it online, and had heard somewhere that the minors were disapointing. I have a list of decks I deffinately don't want, and this deck was on it.

And then, one night while I was on holiday, just about a week and a half ago, I dreamed this deck. This happened after I hadn't seen the images online for about 6 months. I rushed out and bought the deck the very next day, as the dream had just felt so uplifting and yet calming.

And I am absolutely in love with it! I love the minors, almost more than I love the majors, and I don't think I can find a single card I don't like.

(Incidentally, this is the third deck I've bought off of my decks-I-deffinately-don't-want list, so perhaps I should rethink what I really don't like about the decks. The other two decks from that list are the Fey and the Tarot of the Old Path. I originally hated both, but now love them. Go figure.)

2) My favorite card? There are many that I love. I think my favorite, though, is the 6 of Wands, though this may be because my family has been in the horse racing business forever. When I was first looking through the deck, when I saw that card, I knew I had found a deck I could work with

3) My giggle card is also the 5 of wands. The first time I saw that card, I laughed out loud, which was somewhat embarrassing as I was sitting in the US Botanical Gardens, and there were tourists all around me. Oh well. :)

Robin

Hi,

Well I was given this great deck by a friend who knew I was interested in getting into the tarot. She said these cards really spoke to her and thought they would help me with my journey. well she was right. i loved my first deck, but after i started to use these cards I felt like she did me such a service in buying this deck for me. Thanks D.

I love the 6 of swords card. It just makes me feel at peace and know that the I am being cared for.

My giggle card might be the knight of swords. his face does it for me.

Robin

Gilgamesh

This is the second deck i purchased, after the RW.

As a novice, i found that the cards were easier to understand for me, and made it eaier to interpret their meaning.

hard to pick a favorite, but one time while doing a reading for a female friend of mine that just broke up with her husband, the 8 of cups came up in the spread, and looking at that card, in a way i see her. the expression on the womans face in that card says it all, she turns her back on the emotional investment its her choice, she walks out into the unknown in the distance is the hope and potential in a cup she has not discovered yet. the way she has her hand to her chest, its as if i can feel her emotional grief.

Another is the Devil card, there is so much in it. i like the addition of the mirror, sort of an additional clue that sometimes we are our worst demon, and also how we see are selves is what we reflect to others and what we attract into our lives.

no giggly cards for me in this deck.

TheLovers2

Once again S-h-i-f-t happens! Or Spiral happens. . .

There must have been a shift in perspective or something, because I absolutely did not like this deck until very recently. Very recently, being about 5 days ago. I picked it up last night, so it obviously has not been in my possession long enough for me to spend any real time with the cards.

2. Any favorite cards?

1) I perused the cards online the other day and fell in love with the Minors. I realize that the Minors have received some heavy criticism (there were people on Amazon, especially, who did not like the Minors) but, the Minors in this deck called to me. The Majors are very interesting, also, and they are beginning to grow on me, the more I look at them. The deck is beautiful, IMO and I like the versatility in the card images; one observer on Amazon said that the deck suffered from an "identity crisis," (I think he was referring to the differences between the Majors and Minors) but, I don't find that to be so at all. It totally works for me and I'm extremely pleased with the turn the Minors took.

2) I don't have any absolute favorite card, but, I can say that certain cards seem to touch me already and they are: 8 of Cups, 4 of Swords, 4 of Cups and oh yes, there is something about the King of Cups that draws me. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of the cards more.

3) Well, now that you mention it, I agree with the person who said the facial expression of the Knight of Swords is funny. If I were to pick a "giggle" card in this deck that would be it. I would also have to say if I find anything else to chuckle about it would have to be the "wild hair." It's truly all over the place. :D Otherwise, I find it a serious, evocative and contemplative deck.

Thanks everyone for doing this study group, as reading the posts has already been beneficial to me and much needed with this wonderful deck. I will have to investigate to learn more about the myriad symbols used in the deck.

I can't believe I didn't like it for so long. It had to be over a year ago, possibly more that I first saw it. :)

TL2 :TLOVE