Spiral Study - The Fool

wizzle

Here's your opportunity to discuss card 0 - the Fool.

Our LWB describes the card this way:

"The Fool is represented by a young man. He kneels in awe at the sight of the Grail. An angel guides him on his way. A black cat instinctively senses danger, in contrast to the Fool, who is frealess."

I recognize the astrological symbol for Uranus but am unfamiliar with the other symbols on the card. I'm particularly curious about the triangle. Can anyone enlighten?

Jeanette

The book starts with the Fool, so that's as good a place as any as far as I'm concerned.

And while I'm looking at the book, how about if I put some of the description here for everyone!

Myth: In the card of the Fool we meet young Perceval. He wears the simple homespun garment his mother has made for him. Around his waist he wears a belt of laurel leaves, reminding us of the victories won in life; attached to the belt is a small bag containing courage, optimism, loyalty, and fearlessness. This bag also contains the memory of many lifetimes and many journeys that lie just below the surface of consciousness. The object of his quest is to begin the Spiral Journey once more with renewed confidence and faith.

There's much more if anybody else wants to join in.

And for the divinatory meaning: The card of the Fool signifies a time to follow our own intuitive, instinctive natures. With this card, we should step into life fearlessly and without prejudice; we should never waver from the quest. The Fool succeeds through his unfaltering journey. He is true to himself, trusting his judgment and having faith in what lies beyond the abyss.

Jeanette

The triangles are present on all the majors and symbolize the relationship with their corresponding element: air, water, earth and fire.

GoldenWolf

The Fool

Sorry I have taken so long to post. Between the 4th of July holiday and the shortened work week, time is really tight.

I know what the Spiral Tarot book states, but I see the black cat as peering into the abyss with curiosity. I know in many versions of the Fool that an animal (cat, dog, crocodile, etc.) seems to be warning the Fool. Maybe that was the designer's intent, but the cat doesn't really seem focused on the figure of the Fool. Just a thought.

I like the way she relates each of the Major Arcana to a particular myth and the choice of Perceval as the Fool is perfect. Because of the way his mother raised him, he was innocent, pure, and took a plunge into a totally different world when he embarked upon becoming a knight. Here again, although the book states it's an angel, I see the guiding figure as his Higher self or his spiritual self. That guidance is available to all of us if we choose to listen.

At present I am studying Robert Wang's The Qabalistic Tarot and was actually reading about the 32nd Path which The World/Universe is attributed to last night. He remarked on the cycles of life force or spirals which struck a chord with me about the Spiral Journey that the Fool is beginning in this deck. Spirals keep coming up in my studies. Maybe that is why the deck resonates for me so much at this point in time.

wizzle

Rich in meaning

I find this rendition of the Fool particularly rich in symbols and meaning. The angel/guide is a wonderful addition to the card. I see her as blessing the Fool's journey and providing a continual source of higher wisdom as he persues his journey. It is the angel which will allow him to find inspiration in the cards to come. I see the cat not only in it's guise as animal companion, but, because it is black as a symbol of the lower or body spirit. For me that is the spirit that guards and regulates our automatic functions like breathing, cell reproduction, etc. and it has a wisdom of its own, often overlooked or not valued.

There is just a touch of color in the background signifying a rising sun, a symbol of beginnings as is the young Percival himself with his white flower of purity. The addition of the birds taking off is unique, at least in the decks I have. I associate them with the freedom of the Fool and Uranus.

I did a quick read out of Bullfinche's Mythology on the young Percival. At the time of the myth, the Fool was an important part of a noble household. He was an entertainer and commentator. But he also had the status of an oracle, which I think adds another layer to this card.

Gilgamesh

I have always seen Percival as pure and innocent, In the movie "Excalibur" Percival became a knight defending the queens honor (romours she had the hots for Lancelot) he didnt think about the consequences of his actions he just did them, having no experience Jousting he probably would have been killed.

It was only Percival from all the Knights of the quest that was able to grasp the holy grail.

Percival is perfect for "The Fool".

tarobones

Fools

Has anyone ever heard of the Ship of Fools Tarot? I thought of it here because one of the themes is "all Fools..........all the time" because we are always on this journey..........and the Fool follows us each step of the way........the Fool is each one of us. His innocent energy appeals to the best in me, and I find great comfort in the presence of the Angel. He gazes on the Grail, is captivated by it, and longing and searching will be dominant in his life. A powerful image for the Fool, this young Perceval. BB, Michael

Dreaming_One

I know what the Spiral Tarot book states, but I see the black cat as peering into the abyss with curiosity. I know in many versions of the Fool that an animal (cat, dog, crocodile, etc.) seems to be warning the Fool. Maybe that was the designer's intent, but the cat doesn't really seem focused on the figure of the Fool. Just a thought.

I noticed this too, and it actually confused me. Cats are known for their curiosity more than their ability to play guardian, aren't they? I look at that little black cat, and it seems as if she's so focussed on the birds, she's almost as unaware of the danger as the Fool himself.

I see the cat not only in it's guise as animal companion, but, because it is black as a symbol of the lower or body spirit. For me that is the spirit that guards and regulates our automatic functions like breathing, cell reproduction, etc. and it has a wisdom of its own, often overlooked or not valued.

I can relate to that interpretation. I was just noticing the contrast between the angel and the black cat, actually, and it sort of ties in. The angel is symbolic of a higher power and guidance, and the little black cat so close to the ground shows the presence of that 'lower or body spirit' you speak of. I could also see the cat as symbolic of the Fool's own basic instincts. It is odd though that the cat and the Fool seem almost independent of each other. :S

Indigo Rose

From the Book....

Hi Group,
I have the *Spiral Tarot book by Kay Steventon*:bugeyed: and I thought I would post some of things she writes regarding her symbolism in the deck.

First, the Fool is Perceval...as others here have noted. He is on a quest to find the Holy Grail. The glittering cup appearing in the air is it.

*Here is from the book*:bugeyed:
In the card, Perceval looks in wonderment and awe at the grail image, the symbol of his quest in life. An angel is there to protect and watch over him. Perceval is also accompanied by a black cat, a feminine image close to nature. The masculine needs a feminine guide if the Grail is to be found; the cat instinctively senses danger, whereas the Fool is fearless. Eagles, symbols of kingly spirit soar over an abyss which is very deep and dark.

Astrology Symbolism
*again quoting from the book*:bugeyed:
The card of the Fool is associated with the planet Uranus, symbol of freedom and the quest for humankind's highest ideals. It is also an abstract airy planet; pure in spirit is the converse of earth and nature. Uranus symbolizes abstract thought. At this stage, the Fool is an abstraction. He needs to make the journey to become real and grounded. The moment he commences the journey, he enters the realm of consciousness.

Kabbalistic Symbolism
*from the book*:bugeyed:
On the Kabbalistic Tree of Life, the Fool walks the eleventh path between Kether, limitless light and Chokmah, celestial father.....the eleventh path is the path of complete simplicity; here total inexperience moves with the wisdom of the Divine informing it. Just so, the Fool is like the breath of life, a vibratn emptiness waiting to be filled. The corresponding Hebrew letter is Aleph, which means Ox. Aleph is a channel by which the infinite spiritual is brought to the inifinite physical. The Aleph is said to contain the essence of all other letters.

:love:

TheLovers2

Indigo Rose, Welcome to the SSG!

Indigo Rose said:
Hi Group,
I have the *Spiral Tarot book by Kay Steventon*:bugeyed: and I thought I would post some of things she writes regarding her symbolism in the deck.
:love:

Thanks for posting from the book. For those of us who don't have it, this information is very helpful. Let me invite you to feel free to post anything else from the book re: any of the other cards, as you are inclined to or have the time. I must decide at some point whether or not I feel the book would be worth obtaining. I have gleaned that it is particularly helpful in gaining some insight into Kay's take on the Majors, although, for me the Minors are my favorite Arcana in this deck.

Thanks!

Blessings,

TL2 :TLOVE