Tarot in Literature

tarotbear

MondalaMon started a thread on tarot-themed books. Does anyone have suggestions to add to the list? Tarot can be a major or minor plot device.

"Lammas Night" by Katherine Kurtz. Covens band together to stop Hitler's invasion of Britain.

truthsayer

ninalee braden's moonstruck site in the tarot section has a very comprehensive tarot as lit site. i've been having a little trouble getting these links to work so try both of these. http://www.geocities.com/~ninalee/
http://www.geocities.com/~ninalee/tarot/tarlit/

nexyjo

roger zelazny's amber cronicles come to mind, a story in which "trump" cards were used that represented actual living people, through which one could commincate with that person across various dimensions. they even made a deck based on the charactors in the book - all trumps of course.
luv and light,
nexy

Thirteen

tarotbear (06 Oct, 2001 02:41):
MondalaMon started a thread on tarot-themed books. Does anyone have suggestions to add to the list? Tarot can be a major or minor plot device.

The very BEST use of Tarot as a plot devise in a book that I've ever, ever seen was in BONE DANCE by Emma Bull. A spread is laid out and each card becomes a chapter. But it also relates to the book as a whole, it's feel and theme. Wonderful.

Major Tom

Tim Power's books Last Call and Earthquake Weather both use tarot imagery.

In Last Call gamblers play tarot poker and a particularly evil character is using the game to steal bodies...until the hero figures out how to stack the deck. }>

Great reads both of them.

Genna

Hi! I would like to recommend the book Little,Big by John Crowley.It is a tale about a family who live in contact with the realm of faery,and where a sort of Tarot deck has a major role.
It is published as no 5 in the series Fantasy Masterworks,2000,in Great Britain by Millennium,An inprint of Victor Gollancz(paperback).

Kiama

Well, although its not a major part of the book, the Tarot is mentioned in the Philosophy book, 'Sophie's World' although it isn't given a very good press at all. I was quite annoyed, as the main character totally demeaned Tarot, whilst giving no backup to his ideas.

Kiama

Genna

That norweigean author;Jostein Gaarder has written another novel;Maya, where a deck of playing cards comes to life,including the mysterious Joker,who plays an important part in the story.
Love and Light,Genna.

moon

The Hanged Man by Francesca Lia Block has a bit of a tarot theme. Each chapter is associated with a card. She's categorized as um...'young adult' fiction but I feel that it is an injustice to her. She's a wonderful writer.

Glass Owl

I just ordered three books by Victoria Laurie and I can't wait to finish the book I'm reading so I can start to read these. They are from her Psychic Eye Mystery series. The second one in the series is titled "Better Read Than Dead." The front cover shows a woman holding up the Tower card and below the title is says, "Abby's new client is one she can't refuse."

From what the backs says, the main character is Abby Cooper who is a psychic intuitive who agrees to read tarot cards at a wedding as a favor for a friend and ends up doing a reading for a mob boss.

Edit: I absolutely loved these books! I would highly recommend them.