what? mini decks?

MareSaturni

Hi!

Well, i was browsing through Amazon.com and i noticed there are many decks called 'mini' decks. They are smaller versions of the 'normal' decks. And they are cheaper.

I didn't know this 'mini' thing even existed until some days ago (thanks to Betty aka smokey :p), because i don't believe we have something like that here in Brazil. If we do, i've never seen it. But i got curious...i have small hands, so although i *can* shuffle big decks the mini idea doesn't sounds bad at ALL. And cheaper...some are 10 USD cheaper!

But how are the images or the card? I mean...can you see anything? Or they are so small they almost make no difference?
I imagine the bigger version have prettiest images, but talking about 'buyable' decks (since the big version is more expensive)...what do you think about the mini ones? Worth getting? Pretty pictures too? I've read some are 3 1/2 x 2 inches (and i'm not good with inches, but i can get the idea)...

Just some opinion ;)

:TPW Yuko

HearthCricket

I don't own any, yet, but hope to get one or two. The ones I have seen are very small-about 1/4th or 1/5th the size of the regular deck. To be honest with you, though some may use them for readings, I was just going to get one for the "cute" factor and maybe take a picture of one of my stuffed animals reading cards! (I collect little things, like little tea sets, little mice, etc.) But I have heard people say they actually use them!

lunakasha

HearthCricket said:
To be honest with you, though some may use them for readings, I was just going to get one for the "cute" factor and maybe take a picture of one of my stuffed animals reading cards! (I collect little things, like little tea sets, little mice, etc.)

Hee hee....please make sure to post those pics for us, OK??? ;)

Back on-topic: I only have one "mini" and I find it a little tricky to shuffle, believe it or not, but the cards are pretty/cute and they are nice to take "on the road" if you've got limited space in your purse or pocket.

:) Luna

Phantom Goddess

I never understood the attraction to the mini decks... I also loved the big/ regular sized deck.

PlatinumDove

I have a mini Hanson Roberts and a mini RWS, only because I don't have enough room in my purse to carry the regular sized decks. HOWEVER....I had to get a regualr sized Hanson Roberts, because the card quality in the mini was too flimsy to do regular shuffling with, and the cards bend too easily.

MareSaturni

HearthCricket said:
...I was just going to get one for the "cute" factor and maybe take a picture of one of my stuffed animals reading cards! (I collect little things, like little tea sets, little mice, etc.) But I have heard people say they actually use them!

Ah! I collect little stuff too...i have a 'mini' bedroom that i love...a mini vintage-looking washing machine and other things! Even mini *real* books. It's an addiction ;)

Phantom Goddess said:
I never understood the attraction to the mini decks... I also loved the big/ regular sized deck.

The cuteness factor? Or the size factor? I must say in my bag, that i carry everyone and it's a big one, you can carry one regular deck. I, however, don't do this because i'm dead afraid to 'mess' my decks...they are kinda expensive here, so i like to keep them safe.
The only one i like to carry around is the Mythic Tarot, that's more easily found here. And it has some resistent cards.

PlatinumDove said:
I have a mini Hanson Roberts and a mini RWS, only because I don't have enough room in my purse to carry the regular sized decks. HOWEVER....I had to get a regualr sized Hanson Roberts, because the card quality in the mini was too flimsy to do regular shuffling with, and the cards bend too easily.

Oh, the bending factor...that's always an important thing. So mini cards tend to be more 'fragile', besides being just smaller? Interesting...

WolfyJames

Personaly, I use the Tarot Nova. It is a small deck and apparently comes in three different sizes, all small:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/nova/

The only mini I suggest not getting is the Zerner-Farber Tarot, which is the mini version of the Enchanted Tarot (Amy Zerner). The Enchanted Tarot is a large deck and they stretched it to fit the small size of the Zerner-Farber and the streching shows; plus, by putting the title at the bottom of the cards you can't see the bottoms of the images anymore, so you miss important elements of the cards.

http://trionfi.com/01/j/i/gambler_ru/d02449.htm

http://www.tarotkorea.co.kr/gallery/gallery1_show.php?card=Zernerfarber

Shade

I bought Tarot Nova because it would be something I could always have on hand... a glove compartment/backpack deck if you will. Strictly speaking it's not a mini deck it's the regular version... the mini versionof it is too small for me to read with.

Emeraldgirl

I have the mini Visconti deck and i have never used it to read with. It's too hard to shuffle with and you can;t see that details of the cards as well. It's cute but I went and brough the larger sized deck soon afterwards due to not being impressed with the size.

Eco74

I've got one mini, the Fairy Tarot, and am getting two more, the Universal and the New Vision.
The reason is simply portability in my case since I have a smallish bag and prefer it that way, and still want to carry a deck or more with me just in case I get some time to spare and want to look through it or even do a reading.

The smaller decks do tend to have somewhat flimsier cardstock, but as they are smaller they also need to be a little thinner to match the reduced size.
I've had no problem with the quality of the cards but a little trouble shuffling since I'm used to larger decks. I also do love my larger decks both for the feel and the clarity of the artwork, but with a reduced price and the advantage of portability and to some part the cute-factor, I still feel the minis are worth it. Though I'd only get decks I feel I would use in minisize.
My collection is mainly for the art, and miniatures do come across as a little less detailed.