Douglas-Sheridan complete scans?

coredil

Hello Gregory,

thanks for being willing to scan!
I also go in Holyday in two days and I believe I have learned to wait ;-)

(sorry; bought for next to nothing when it first came out; there is joy in old age !!!!)
Yes, yes.
I am 8 years younger than you are, and I was in London in the summer 1971.
I even remember an old man called "Gypsy Lee Petelengro", he was well known at this time on Porto Bello Road, he had a long white beard and a funny little truck (I still have a postcard with his photo). He could read in hands and was astrologist, dont remember if he read Tarot but probably. So I theoretically could have get a Sheridan deck too, but at this time I did not care too much about tarot and was more interested in "I Ching".

One can really get dizzy looking at your deck collection!
Acording to your list, I found one deck I have you dont have ;-))
The nice little black and white "Linde Famira" deck.
As it is a german deck it was easier to find it here in Germany.
Maybe I should try to persuade you to trade your Sheridan for the Linde Famira ;-)

Best regards
coredil

gregory

coredil said:
I am 8 years younger than you are, and I was in London in the summer 1971.
I even remember an old man called "Gypsy Lee Petelengro", he was well known at this time on Porto Bello Road, he had a long white beard and a funny little truck (I still have a postcard with his photo). He could read in hands and was astrologist, dont remember if he read Tarot but probably. So I theoretically could have get a Sheridan deck too, but at this time I did not care too much about tarot and was more interested in "I Ching".
Oh I remember him well - had quite forgotten till you mentioned him !

coredil said:
Acording to your list, I found one deck I have you dont have ;-))
The nice little black and white "Linde Famira" deck.
As it is a german deck it was easier to find it here in Germany.
Maybe I should try to persuade you to trade your Sheridan for the Linde Famira ;-)
Oh Coredil, you break my heart - I have just bought a Linde Famira from another forum member - it will be with me any day now ! But I never get rid of decks. That would be like giving up a limb ! If I ever see a Sheridan I will let you know - I have a source here who sometimes gets such things ! he buys up old collections.

coredil

gregory said:
Oh I remember him well - had quite forgotten till you mentioned him !
Nostalgy! I never thought I would one day exchange this memory on a forum.

gregory said:
But I never get rid of decks. That would be like giving up a limb !

I really understand this.
That is for the same kind of reason I still have this old postcard from Gypsy Lee Petelengro in a old shoe cardboard!

gregory said:
If I ever see a Sheridan I will let you know - I have a source here who sometimes gets such things ! he buys up old collections.
What can I say? It sounds really great. There are now two nice people who wants to help (Lillie also proposed me to help to find a Sheridan). So this little dream will certainly be ;-)

gregory said:
I have just bought a Linde Famira from another forum member - it will be with me any day now !
I am glad for you and hope you will like it as I do.
This is at this time the deck I prefer and the one I read with.
I find the artwork has some similitude to Thea's deck but the symbol of the pictures softer than Thea's.
The cards are really small and have a thin cardstock but I find it fine to deal with.

Best regards
coredil

gregory

I do like the Famira !

I've started scanning the S/D for you - it will take a few days, as I do have to go to work from time to time. I'm putting the cards in a pdf file (well likely more than one actually as I am doing them full size) - what version of Acrobat reader do you have ? I'm using 7, and if I make them only compatible with version 7, the files compress a bit smaller, but if not I don't mind - I pay a flat fee for dial up - I don't know what kind of connection you have ! I shall have to e-mail them when the time comes..... they will take some downloading unless you are on broadband !

coredil

Oh, what a good new Gregory.
I hope you had a good time during your vacation.
It is really very nice from you to do the scans, I am very glad about it.
In the meantime, since I have heard from Jeannette to what prices a Sheridan can climb, I have quite give up to believe I will find a deck one day, this is definitively out of my possibilities.
So the scans will be a very nice thing for me.
I even have already scanned the black and white pencil drawings of Sheridan pictures that one can find in Alfred Douglas book.
And I just experiment to print them in b&w.
It gives quite nice result as I accidentally found a nice thick paper with a kind of ivory color to print them.
I would really like to find the kind of paper Meneghello uses.
I will also try to print the colored scan maybe on fotopaper, it can also produce beautiful cards too.

I use the creative suite from Adobe but it is not the very last version.
So I use "Acrobat" rather than "Acrobat Reader", and I have version 6.
I have a DSL internet connection, so downloading is not a problem, but I guess I cannot receive unlimited big files, but I must confess I dont know what exactly is the limit. So it will probably be better not to send all the cards at one time.
There is also theoretically enough place on my website, but I never was able to set some space on it in order that other can upload.

I send you my e-mail adress per pm

Best regards

gregory

Got your pm and will start sending later. I would say, BTW, that if you want to READ, the cards as bought are a nightmare - VERY thick, hard to shuffle and easily bent - you may actually be better off making your own ! (What did Jeannette say they can climb to by the way ?)

AS to paper, if you go to a top class stationery/printing store they can usually show you a huge range of paper and card samples; I will look and see what I have in the office next week; they keep sending them to me as I have a lot of printing done at work !

gregory

I've e-mailed it to you - it is a 5 1/2 Mb pdf file. I will e-mail it to anyone else who wants it..... I don't think Solandia would appreciate it here !!!!

coredil

Wonderful scans!

Hi Gregory,

thanks a lot, tausend Dank, you made beautiful scans.
I already answered your e-mail.
I said before that the b&w line drawing are beautiful, it is true, but the colored pictures give the drawings much more life and they really have this sixties / seventies feel.

Encore une fois merci :)