Celtic Wisdom Study Group -- The Decider/Scots Pine/2 Dialogue of Art

FireRaven

The Decider
In this card, I see the Magician from traditional decks "gathering in and setting forth," as shown by the young man's right hand clutching needles and cones from the Scots Pine/Fir tree to his chest, and then letting them go with his left. He seems to model the flow of magical energy through his body, with his body as the actual conduit or channel as he sets Divine energy (as show by the All-Father above him) into action in accordance with his individual will.

I think this the fundamental nature of "choice," as we join our own will with that of the Divine to set things moving in our lives, whether on mundane or mystical levels. Our lives are full of choices and decisions -- What to keep...what to release...how to look at the various gifts and talents at our disposal and put them into action.

The Scots Pine or "Fir" tree seems to be associated with the traditional Yule tree, and perhaps by extension, the World Tree/Tree of Life. Thinking about Yule/Winter Solstice, we witness the birth of the Sun once more -- the light of action and vitality growing stronger and setting the fertility & growth of the Earth (and our own lives) into action after a necessary period of rest.

The idea of the World Tree/Tree of Life is a model of balanced energies for me; a template of "what can be" when we're centered in ourselves, confident of our personal power, and ready to act in ways that are both ethical and decisive.

The Soul-Wisdom CM associates with this card is quite lovely -- that of The Decider of Will setting the soul on it's journey, and singing it along when it begins to stray from its Path. Her question asks, "What is manifesting in your life right now?" I would preface that with, "What is the song of your Soul?"
=========

2 Dialogue of Art

The dialogues are all about the duality inherent in giving/taking, listening/speaking, conflict/resolution as the energy first manifested in the Auguries begins to develop. The dialogue cards balance and affirm the Auguries while revealing their energies in the form of relationships and communication.

The Dialogue of Art is a "snapshot" of Myrddin (Merlin) and his sister Gwenddydd as they sit together, comforted and strengthened by the deep love and affection they have for one another. In the mythos of the card, Myrddin has been a "mad and wild" hermit in the forest. He's "lost it," and is unable to function as his prophecies take on a life of their own and torture him psychically.

His sister knows something is wrong, and she seeks him out, helping him understand the prophecies that are driving him deeper and deeper into the realm of madness. Interestingly, she then takes over his role as prophet -- but only after building him an Otherworldly Tor/Observatory where he can go to rest and watch over the land of Britain as a whole. Her love and care for him is evident, and their partnership is everlasting.

I have a relationship like this with my youngest brother -- one so close that I swear we were together in many lifetimes. The abiding love and trust is something that I treasure, and that allows me to have an immediate understanding of this card.

The Soul Wisdom here..."What is the basis of trust in your current situation?" To that I would add, "Who or what is your "rock?" "Your touchstone?" "When you're most centered and supported, who is there for you, allowing you to trust, risk, and be vulnerable?"

==========
Looking forward to reading your thoughts on these cards....

-FireRaven

Leo62

The Decider

FireRaven said:
The Decider
In this card, I see the Magician from traditional decks "gathering in and setting forth," as shown by the young man's right hand clutching needles and cones from the Scots Pine/Fir tree to his chest, and then letting them go with his left.
I like that - I must admit I hadn't seen it like that, but now you point it out it makes perfect sense. And so much gentler than the usual John Travolta Magician pose!
This card makes me think again about the idea of exercising Will - usually something we associate with a very male, assertive pose. I love the fact that this "magician" Dagda, the "father of the druids" gives us a very open, heart-centred image of the Will.
Another thing I noticed about this card; The Decider's pose seems to mirror that of The Guardian in the next card.
The other thing about the Scots Pine - it's an evergreen. At samhain, early November, the season with which this card is associated, it would be one of the few growing things to remain green, preserving the appearance of life. Here, at the darkest season, the seed of manifestation is sewn.

Leo62

2 Dialogue of Art

What a wonderful story! So much better than the later Merlin/Nimue tale of seduction and imprisonment. I love the idea that Gwenddydd helps Myrddin out of his madness through dialogue and prophecy. I remember reading somewhere else in the book that it was the weight of knowing too much about the future of the world that drove Myrddin mad. It's wonderful to me that prophecy is his "cure" - being able to unburden himself with the help of a dialogue with his sister. This reminds me of the therapist/client relationship where the therapist (ideally!) bears witness to the client's unravelling of their inner burdens and pains.
FireRaven said:
I have a relationship like this with my youngest brother -- one so close that I swear we were together in many lifetimes. The abiding love and trust is something that I treasure, and that allows me to have an immediate understanding of this card.
FireRaven - how lucky you are to have a relationship like that! I do feel that these kind of relationships are rare. I think it's different from the relationships we have with partners/lovers - and it's interesting that a brother/sister relationship has been chosen for this card. In a "conventional" tarot, this would be the 2 of Cups, which traditionally depicts lovers. This is something quite different; true friendship at a soul level. I've been lucky enough to have two friendships in my life that have something of the feeling of this card and I feel truly blessed to have them.

FireRaven said:
The Soul Wisdom here..."What is the basis of trust in your current situation?" To that I would add, "Who or what is your "rock?" "Your touchstone?" "When you're most centered and supported, who is there for you, allowing you to trust, risk, and be vulnerable?"
A very wise question FireRaven. :)