Own more than one deck?

SunriseDesire

I have noticed some of you say you own more than one deck. This confuses me. I had always thought you are to have a special "relationship" with your cards. How is this possible when you have more than one? And how do you decide which to use? Please help clear this up! Thanks

HudsonGray

It's like having more than one can of soup in the cupboard, or more than one book on the table, or more than one movie video/DVD on the shelf. There's your favorite, then your fancy one, then the deck that looks really pretty that you use for 'special', and the three you got that didn't click all that well with you but you didn't sell them or pass them on to someone else yet.

You're not limited to just one. I've got over 20, but only use 3 regularly. The rest are there if I need them, and are fun to look through. You learn a lot by comparing the same card across all the decks, too.

Nobody says you have to have just one, and I don't think most people buy just one and keep that as their one and only sole deck for the next 5 years. Feel free to buy the ones that interest you or that call to you with their artwork.

tmgrl2

I love the pretty pictures...so I have about 40 decks.

I started with the Rider-Waite Smith deck...and used that for reading, but then got interested in the Tarot de Marseille...I enjoy reading with one of those as well...also read with International Icon Tarot, Alchemical, Radiant Rider Waite....and I LOVE the Morgan Greer.

I also have some decks that I haven't used yet for reading...the Old English Tarot is one I'm itching to give a go.

Some I bought thinking I would love using for reading and then after a few times, found I just couldn't connect with them.

So...find a deck you can use for reading...and stick with it...journal, study, whatever....

Umbrae often reminds us here that he used the same RWS deck for 30 years.....but he reads with other decks.

Some decks seem to be suitied better to some sitters. Sometimes for a live reading, I put out 1-2 decks, never more than three and while we chat before the reading about Tarot and while I find out from my sitter what they know about Tarot or what their experience with it has been, the browse through the decks and often will connect with one quite strongly.

That's the one we use. Always though, all three or both are decks I could read with that day.

Explore...find what works for you. You may get one deck, connect with it and use nothing else...if that works, go with it....There is no right or wrong.

Welcome to you SunriseDesire....stick around AT and the whole world of Tarot will open up for you. It's a great place to learn and make friends.

terri

SunriseDesire

thanks!

thanks for the welcome tmgrl!

thanks for your answers hudson and tmgrl. it was something that confused me because i had thought you are to have a sort of "closeness" to your deck, which i had interpreted to mean it's your one and only. it makes sense to have more than one. i only have the fairy tarot right now and it doesn't seem suitable sometimes. seems too.....lighthearted. i have my eye on some others though! thanks once again

Phantom Goddess

You can have a closeness with different decks. My favorite is the Gothic Tarot but I also feel a connection with the Gilded Tarot.

MercyMe

I have about a dozen or so decks. Some are more special than others. Some seem to "speak" in just the right way for the right question/querant. I kind of "feel" which deck will be right for which situation. When I am rather scattered, I grab a deck such as the Gilded or the RWS which I find speak very clearly. When I'm in the mood for very intuitive-style readings I'll use the Bruegel which has very interesting scenes on the cards which often somewhat deviate from the traditional card meanings. But my heart belongs to my Hudes deck. She speaks in soothing tones and I feel her voice more than hear it.

I've been wanting a more whimsical deck to play with. I have The Housewives Deck which is fun, but sheesh, she can tell it like it is. :D I was liking the Ferret Tarot...

~Mercy

wizzle

Different uses

I don't have too many decks. Among my small collection, I find I use the decks in different ways:

1. Reading - usually I rotate reading between 3 decks, depending on what feels appropriate for both me and the question at hand. There are times when I want to do a light-hearted reading and I chose a deck that is more playful.
2. Reference - to me the Thoth and RWS decks are wonderful for reference as well as reading. It is like having a good dictionary. So many other decks use their ideas and symbolism, albeit in different ways.
3. Study - looking at the same card in various decks brings forth new ideas for the card as a whole. I might lay out a spread that I did in one deck in a second one to see what other meanings I can find.
4. Play - it's fun to just look at the cards in some decks or use the cards to make up stories. I find the Thoth rather serious and not suited to story telling while the Gilded is perfect.

So for me the decks aren't just about reading the day's cards.

lunakasha

Hello SunriseDesire....nice to have you joining us. :)

I agree with everything that has been posted....I think it is nice to have a variety of decks to choose from. Some are better for reading with, others are great for meditation....and, like others have mentioned, some of us have decks that are great for study or just to admire the artwork. I tend to go in "cycles" where I spend more time with 3-4 decks....and then I shift to something else. I love having several decks to choose from, depending on my mood or the person I am reading for. And truthfully, I would get bored very quickly with only one or two decks, but that's me. ;)

I did want to comment on the Fairy Tarot (your only deck at the moment). Is this the LoScarabeo Fairy Tarot??? If so, I am not sure this would be the ideal deck to learn with....having recently acquired it myself in a trade, I can tell you that, as much as I LOVE the artwork, it might be tricky to work with. I remember reading similar comments on this forum, and I agree....the pips especially don't seem to "jive" with my understanding of the cards' meanings, and they also replaced the traditional suits with other symbols. It is somewhat confusing, for me anyway.

Glad you found us here, and good luck with finding some decks that make you happy...you've come to the right place. }) hehehe

:) Luna

Aura Wolf

I agree with all that's been said (and I was once one who thought I'd keep only one deck--didn't take me long to change that)...

MercyMe said:
My heart belongs to my Hudes deck. She speaks in soothing tones and I feel her voice more than hear it.
Guess which one it was? :D And I agree.

I like to use my Tarot of Transformation for relationship readings, or spiritual readings or just when I want a very clear and intuitive answer. The Fey Tarot is very lighthearted but gets straight to the point. Many decks are non-traditional and bring something new, while others have a lot of symbolism for more intuitive readings. Some decks are great for study, like the Thoth for instance or a Marseilles-style, or even a standard Rider-Waite (which I actually don't have yet). Some speak softly and others more bluntly. And some I just keep mainly for the artwork :) It's also nice to experiment with different decks and layer cards in readings, or just compare the differences between decks. And then there are people who collect dozens or hundreds of decks, just because :D

Logiatrix

Moods

Greetings and Welcome, SunriseDesire!

Once upon a time, I had about 180 decks, but then I decided
to stop collecting and just focus on studying and reading better.
When I gave up the collection, I thought I would only need one
deck to use for everything. No way did that work!

As it is now, the decks I use number at about six tarots and
two oracles--give or take a new one I might be checking out.
For me, I think it's a mood thing. Each of my decks expresses a
different mood. Each mood helps to achieve whatever type of inquiry
that is being made. I could no sooner settle with just one deck than
I could maintain just one mood all the time.

My Inner Child Cards are a good example of a distinct mood in
a deck. This is a very joyous deck for me, and I like it for readings
that could potentially trigger difficult emotions. It's safe and comfy,
which is also good for very young querents, or adults who might shy
away from standard tarot images.
It's also just good for a boost out of a bad mood. :)

Many of the reasons already mentioned, such as purpose,
voice and variety, also figure into the equation somewhere,
but I think it's mostly my moods that demand a variety of decks.
:)