Decks for Harry Potter fans

lelandra

I know we've had threads here of what characters/scenes would people assign for what card. This is a different topic - which already existing decks fit the Harry Potter vibe. Why this thread? I just got back from doing a Sybill Trelawney impression (doing free entertainment readings) at the local Barnes & Noble Harry Potter book release party. So I'll start with the decks I brought. I'm American not British, so I could well be off-base with my assumptions, but anyhow...

I let the clients choose which deck they wanted their reading done with.

I brought 2 with a British connection that were appropriate for a mixed audience (as in no nudity close enough to perceive and offend)
* The Vision Tarot by Tim Thompson
* The Sacred Circle Tarot by Anna Franklin and Paul Mason

I left 2 at home that I wasn't sure would fly in that kind of corporate setting, but otherwise had the British connection and seemed compatible with the "vibe"
* The Mystic Meg Tarot
* The Forest Folklore Tarot

I would have brought the Prediction Tarot had I had it in my collection. Given my experience with the customers, though, I suspect it might not have been picked much. (But I like it.)

I also brought a couple that were purely about being inoffensive and good with the color scheme. They were the most chosen, as it turned out.
* Tarot of the Moon Garden (far and away the most popular among the clients, though not my personal favorite, ahem)
* New Palladini Tarot

I also had two decks for children, since I figured there would be plenty of children in line. As it turned out though, I had far more adults, and could have left them at home for all that anyone wanted them...
* The Children Tarot
* The Whimsical Tarot

So which decks would you have brought?

Lelandra (Joan Cole)

HearthCricket

Hmm...good question! Always fun to pick out decks for the masses!

For anyone:
Halloween Tarot

For adults:
Sacred Circle
Druidcraft
Hudes

Teens:
Dragon Tarot
Fantastical

Children:
Hanson-Roberts
Whimsical
Forest Folklore

Just reading this thread has made me realize we need more witch/wizardry cards with the atmosphere of a Hanson-Roberts deck.

WolfSpirit

Maybe you could have also gone for decks based on other British story telling, like the Arthurian decks - especially the Legend Arthurian because I see more story telling in the cards (and the Hallowquest as more an "atmospheric" deck). The Lord of the Rings tarot would also fit that category.

Another deck that would have the right atmosphere is the Medieval Cat Tarot. With a bit of fantasy, I can imagine finding a deck like that in a castle, and it is non-offensive suitable for all ages. I think the Celtic Dragon would also fit well.

Shade

This won't be a popular suggestion but I think the Witchy Tarot would be fun.

I think Hearthcricket is onto something with The Fantastical tarot, the semi-geometric artwork is very similar to Mary Grandpre's illustrations in the american editions.

Chronata

I too had done a divination bit for a Harry Potter event...just last Friday!

Although I did have several decks with me, including the Hanson Roberts, World Spirit, and Sakki Sakki...it turned out I had more kids than adults who were interested.

I used mostly my Hanson Roberts...as far as tarot...

But really...what turned out to be much better were my oracle decks...specifically the Astro and the the Madame Endora.

In fact, based on my experience...I would highly recommend the Madame Endora for any fantasy Lit...or Harry Potter related event in the future! It has absolutely the perfect symbols and beautiful illustrations...and just readily appeals to anyone interested in fantasy!

HearthCricket

Chronata said:
But really...what turned out to be much better were my oracle decks...specifically the Astro and the the Madame Endora.

In fact, based on my experience...I would highly recommend the Madame Endora for any fantasy Lit...or Harry Potter related event in the future! It has absolutely the perfect symbols and beautiful illustrations...and just readily appeals to anyone interested in fantasy!

This is great to hear, since I have it on order and am presently awaiting its arrival! It seems like it will go well with my collection-take a peek and tell me what you think? I like the way Mercenary uses it as a clarifier, and plan to talk to him more on using it that way. I wish I could find an oracle with Russian icons on it-to go with my Russian and Golden tarot decks!

Shade

I just noticed that in the new book there is a chapter called The Lightning Struck Tower - wahoo, a tarot reference.

Cerulean

Animals...so yes, Forest Folklore...

...Whimsical for the young...would the deck of Magical Menagerie (Llewellyn) might have worked? The Druid Animals Oracles from either Miranda Gray or Will Worthington

I was thinking of the Animals Divine (Llewellyn), Flower Fairies (Lo Scarabeo) and perhaps Ted Andrews' Animal Wise Tarot...would about the nostalgic Halloween Tarot?

Sounds very fun!

Cerulean

lelandra

Animals...

I forgot to mention that when I did the readings, I was actually doing a combination reading. I would start with the Magical Menagerie deck and have them pull a card, sort of as a significator. I would interpret that (relating whichever story popped to mind) and then move into a five card tarot reading. The Magical Menagerie deck worked great in that context. I like that it has the cryptozoological animals, like Pegasus, Gryphon, Wyvern, etc. in addition to the more typical Bear, Wren, Otter, etc.

I'm going to be doing a review soon comparing Magical Menagerie to Druid Animal Oracle and Beasts of Albion. In a nutshell, Magical Menagerie is worthwhile getting if you want the additional mythological animals. Both DAO and BoA have images incorporating more related symbolic content (especially DAO), and better accompanying books in terms of relating representative stories. The Magical Menagerie book is fairly sparse.

Lelandra (Joan Cole)

Tabris

Do you know that there already are at least three Harry Potter Tarot Decks in the making? I scanned the net a couple of months ago and found three different HP-decks. Of course, they have to wait until all seven books are out before they can finish them, and they need J.K. Rowling's permition if they're gonna release it. But still, it's interesting to see.