An Introduction to Christian Hermeticism

Sophie-David

Last week Lynn and I stayed in residence for a week of half day sessions at the Vancouver School of Theology, within the University of British Columbia. This was our Tarot Holiday, the study of Meditations on the Tarot: A Journey into Christian Hermeticism by the Unknown Author. The course, "An Introduction to Christian to Hermeticism", was led by Cynthia Bourgeault, Anglican-Episcopal priest, hermit and author. The class was at close to capacity, with 41 attendees from various parts of western North America, and one from Hong Kong (in Vancouver for other reasons).

I thought that a review of this course might be of interest, for both its esoteric spiritual and Tarot specific content. If I understood correctly, Cynthia has taught this course five times previously, and she will undoubtedly do so again. This site provides a course description (this link will likely become invalid when the summer programs are over) and this site describes the work of the Contemplative Society. Note that I am recording my impressions from my own copious notes - but it is very likely that in a spiritually stimulating course of this depth my own perceptions have coloured my interpretations. So if in doubt, blame me, not Cynthia. :)

Like mystical leaders in most of the world religions, Cynthia sees spiritual progress as founded in centering prayer, and each morning there was an opportunity for participants to attend a half-hour silent session before class started. Lynn and I never did attend these sessions.

Cynthia characterized Meditations on the Tarot as the modern Bible of the Christian Hermetic Tradition, a system visioned in the fundamental transformational principles modeled in the Major Arcana of the Tarot, stimulating the archetypal imagination to see with the eye of the heart. Cynthia sees the Tarot as dealing with the cosmos at the level of synchronicity, and that a well centred consciousness will be able to perceive reality beyond the limits of conventional time and space, using the Tarot as a tool for meditation and illumination.

Our teacher advised us to approach the book not as an academic exercise, but slowly and after meditation. Although Meditations on the Tarot is close to 700 pages long, written discursively and densely, it is best approached through the powers of the visualizing and holistic right brain. Cynthia suggested that each chapter was arranged similarly to a string of prayer beads or a rosary, each main idea popping up as a large bead followed by several smaller ones in support. The flow through from one large bead to the next was not necessarily linear. I immediately found that this idea was of great use in approaching the book, and Lynn noticed that Cynthia appeared to be unconsciously fingering invisible beads as she was leading us through the material.

Cynthia also warned us that the work was not necessarily politically correct, and that the author occasionally ventures into dogmatism and overstatement. Nonetheless she advised us to approach the book with respect, seeking the foundation of the Wisdom tradition which lies at the roots of the Western world. At the author's request, the book was published anonymously and posthumously, first showing up in North America in about 1992. Although Cynthia did refer to the author by name and summarized his biography as an aid to deeper understanding, I am not going to do so here. There are further details on the book and its author at this site and JMD has contributed a helpful review here.

The core of Cynthia's teaching was that Jesus is the great Hermeticist, a master of transformation, not the ascetic who seems to emerge from the history of the church. He intended that his followers would join him on the path towards radical transformation, through the act of letting go of the ego self. To this end he taught in parables similar to the Buddhist koans, hoping to awaken in his disciples a deep and non-linear perception.

But as the church became institutionalized, his very individualistic and egalitarian doctrine was suppressed, and in particular the Gospels of Thomas and Mary Magdala were expunged and destroyed. Only in the last century were these treasures rediscovered, revealing a very different version of the Good News, in which Mary Magdala played a central role as one of the few who actually understood the teaching.

In the intervening centuries the core principles of undergoing spiritual progress through a radical change of consciousness went underground, the practice of esoteric Christianity descending to us through sacred alchemy and Hermeticism. But in Judaism the Wisdom traditions continued more consistently, and the Sufis represented the core movement of transformational Islam with great beauty and flair.

The central focus of these esoteric traditions is the acknowledgement that we live in a unified field, that energy, matter and spirit operate in a continuum of energy which interpenetrates each perceived form. Acts of spiritual grace can thus have measurable physical effects on the cosmos, described as sacred magic. The polarization which tears the world apart is founded on literalism - often in very good causes. But the practice of Wisdom is at the heart of the solution, stimulating the allegorical thinking which transcends what Cynthia terms "egoic consciousness", so that participants enter into unitive consciousness, the reality of non-dualism.

Although I have already wrote more than I intended, I obviously cannot approach the depth that Cynthia achieved over a week's period, and this article is inevitably going to come across as simplistic. Clearly the Hermetic approach to Christianity shares much in common with most other world religions, and Cynthia often introduced her concepts by noting that these connections were there, although often expressed in different language. This integrative approach to spirituality was perhaps the course's greatest gift to me.

Since my own transformational experience of a year ago, perceived as the union with the Inner Beloved, I have felt more and more an alien within the Christian context. In particular my need to relate to the divine in both feminine and masculine terms seems to be constantly at odds with the practice of exoteric Christianity. There is some of what I feel to be a superficial acknowledgement of the feminine aspect of God, but it never seems to go very deep - and many of the Canonical scriptures as they have been accepted and translated certainly do not help in this. Just as frustratingly there is a trend within the church to depersonalize the divine in the effort to be gender and hierarchically neutral.

In my alienation, I soon relabeled my religious identity as Christo-Pagan or esoteric Christian. But I now have the feeling that if the Christian church were reorganized based on the Hermetic traditions which Cynthia was revealing to us, not only I but many others would find a much more meaningful home there. In fact Christianity itself would have the potential of becoming not a separate faith but merely a denomination within a unitive world religion.

The interesting fact today, the day after the course, is that I woke up with a very strong feeling of outpouring love for the world - and it is still here, just hovering on the edge of tears. What really makes this intriguing is that the course was in no sense deliberately ecstatic. In fact it was intentionally designed to not stir the emotions but to be contemplative. Except for a meditative Taizé chant at the optional evening session which we attended there was not even the slightest opportunity for community prayer or worship within the program itself. So the affect of the course has been within the mind and soul at a subtle yet deep level - an alchemical level.

Blessings - David

prudence

Thanks so much for sharing this with us David. I feel I have learned something in reading it. It also gives me a strong sense of hope for the world.

Rosanne

Sophie-David said:
In particular my need to relate to the divine in both feminine and masculine terms seems to be constantly at odds with the practice of exoteric Christianity. There is some of what I feel to be a superficial acknowledgement of the feminine aspect of God, but it never seems to go very deep - and many of the Canonical scriptures as they have .....
..... now have the feeling that if the Christian church were reorganized based on the Hermetic traditions which Cynthia was revealing to us, not only I but many others would find a much more meaningful home there. In fact Christianity itself would have the potential of becoming not a separate faith but merely a denomination within a unitive world religion.

Thank you very much for your impressions of this 'Tarot Holiday' and I am thrilled that you have felt the Magic of the course. I have read the Meditations (albeit slowly) and the concept of reading it in the manner of a Rosary is very apt- and for me the only way. The reasons I quoted from your post are those that in part drove me away from Catholism and the Paulian theology that has coursed through Christianity for nigh on 2000 years. Thank you very much Sophie-DAvid for your insights~Rosanne

Sophie-David

The Hanged Man

Rosanne, I may just start calling Christianity a denomination from now on! :) Astrid and JMD, thank you also for the encouragement. Again note that I have taken my notes from the course and tried to condense them into a flow of the highlights, supplementing them with my own language and interpretations where I feel it is appropriate. This is only a taste of the material since The Hanged Man discussion took place over the course of three days, with an optional bonus session thrown in for good measure.

Cynthia selected the Hanged Man as the first card to discuss since she felt it gave a more general introduction to the Meditations on the Tarot than the Magician. In doing so she acknowledged that there was a disadvantage to this in that the book is cumulative. However, the goal of the course was to give us basic insights into Hermeticism and an effective method with which we could then explore the book on our own or in small groups.

In approaching each card, Cynthia suggested that we first record our initial impressions of the overall imagery and each element. What did we see in the imagery - literally, metaphorically and emotionally? From these impressions begin to approach the text itself. She stressed that in each card, and in transformational work in general, the questions are more important that the answers. Each question should be held open as long as possible, for as long as the question remains open there is room to learn. In holding the question open, the feminine deep self becomes the container into which holy Wisdom may be distilled.

In the Hanged Man's voluntary self-restraint he is released to embrace freedom on a higher level - whoever would find life in abundance must lose the smaller life of perceived shortage and limitation. The nature of our culture's freedom is toxic to the freedom of the soul. The Hanged Man has reversed his orientation, no longer defined by the gravity from below, his feet are aligned with the gravity from above, now closest to the heavenly path. He appears to rest in active indifference between the two poles, but in fact his enlightenment is not in a steady state but oscillates and spirals, his consciousness moving from the universal to the particular and back as the moment requires. He learns that his personality is no longer defined by a list of characteristics as he moves into non-dualistic perception.

The horizontal dimension of the card expresses the perceived reality of linearity, defined in appearance, causality, sensation, empiricism, time, birth and death. The vertical dimension uses the will - or heart - as an organ of perception. Within this axis, faith experiences grace through the phenomenon of synchronicity. In offering ourselves up, surrendering our egoic consciousness, we find we are actually lifted up from above. We tend to privatize these experiences of celestial gravity instead of being collective scientists who share their knowledge.

The gravitation of the world is not the problem, it is when it becomes the only gravity that we experience - "remember that God so loved the world". Perfection is not achieved by ignoring the opposites but by celebrating the incarnation as a vehicle for pouring out the universal love with unifies those opposites. The root of transformation is in the use of daily contemplative meditation, this discipline is powerful and subversive since it changes how you think. As the heart opens the Jesus event is brought into current time and space and we connect with the source. This is the non-subjective experience of eternal life, the reality which exists outside the fields of time and duality.

Cynthia sees Jesus not as one who rescues us from sins - one who dispenses grace for the benefit of passive consumers - but a master of transformation, a model of and catalyst into unitive consciousness. Salvation is not so much a question of changing our ways as of changing our perceptions, freeing us from our mistaken identities as small binary husks of egoic and deadly consciousness. Jesus taught a method of Tantra, not a path of renunciation but a path of letting go, of giving up the self freely, warmly and erotically.

The West fears that unitive consciousness implies the loss of personality, and theologians fear that this loss of personality makes even Jesus irrelevant. But our culture equates the egoic self with personality, which is a very small self indeed. One's true personality is much greater, more real and vital than this. Hermeticism is the way of syzygy - the state of "not one/not two" - a oneness that respects the twoness, a third who transcends both unity and duality.

Lastly, Cynthia warned us not to get trapped in our own stories, for they hold us in egoic consciousness. To be a victim is to take your identity from the past. To be free is to take you identity from the unfolding of the future, from what is coming into form. The ego is a useful tool, but it is not the "I am". Play the egoically generated self as a violin, but do not mistakenly think that you are that violin. Like the Hanged Man, learn to contain the ego so that the self shall go free.

In all of what Cynthia discussed, I felt I could verify her points in my personal experiences over the last year - including the experience of the eternal consciousness which lies beyond duality - the fields of time and space - although this consciousness has been occasional rather than continuous.

I drew my own graph of the Hanged Man in his horizontal and vertical aspects, partly inspired by Connolly's Tarot: A New Handbook for the Apprentice. On the horizontal axis I placed Water-Cups-Soul-Beginning at the left, Air-Swords-Cross-Ending at the right. This is the axis of incarnation within duality. On the vertical axis I put Earth-Pentacles-Host-Goddess at the bottom, Fire-Wands-Spirit-God at the top. This is the axis of spiritual energy. The well balanced soul dances across the dimensions as the cosmos unfolds its symphony. Do you see the Hanged Man dancing?

Sat Sri Akaal - Truth is Eternal
David

Imagemaker

What a insightful and valuable stating of principles! Thank you from all of us who would love to have been there.

I'm seeing so many statements here that I've found in yoga teachings, Eckhart Tolle's books, and even Marianne Williamson's taped lectures (which come out of A Course in Miracles).

Especially this paragraph, as the point of all meditation practice, hidden inside and thus mostly obscured by any specific religion's dogmatic, institution-building aims. Eckhart Tolle says this in almost the same words:
Cynthia warned us not to get trapped in our own stories, for they hold us in egoic consciousness. To be a victim is to take your identity from the past. To be free is to take you identity from the unfolding of the future, from what is coming into form. The ego is a useful tool, but it is not the "I am". Play the egoically generated self as a violin, but do not mistakenly think that you are that violin. Like the Hanged Man, learn to contain the ego so that the self shall go free.

Many roads lead to the wisdom within, if only the shouting sellers (well-intentioned as they think they are) along the way would let us meditate, connect with the Ultimate as we hear it, and walk the path!

Thanks for great posts!

Obscure

Thanks so much for the posts. I for one would be happy to hear any more about the workshop that you would be willing to share.

Esme

Thank you for sharing. It has been most interesting. :)

tmgrl2

What beautiful and insightful sharing on your experience, David...

I started reading MotT and then stopped after Chapter 3....I must revisit and continue...an active and engaging experience such as the one you had, is so transforming.

Thank you for sharing so clearly some of what you have gained.

Much of what I remember even from the early chapters reminded me in some ways of what I learned from an even greater exploration I made into
A Course in Miracles some 15 years ago or so.

terri

Sophie-David

The Pope

Thank you Imagemaker, Obscure, Esme, and Tmgrl2 - I am happy to be able to share at least some of the liberating insights from this course. If you find this even a little helpful, that's great! :)

Cynthia Bourgeault has written four books which are readily available from Amazon and should be obtainable from the more esoteric bookstores. Between Lynn and I we now have three of them, but unfortunately we haven't had time to read any of them yet. In particular, The Wisdom Way of Knowing: Reclaiming an Ancient Tradition to Awaken the Heart was recommended as an aid to the course, and it appears that many of the ideas I have shared here are developed in further detail within that book.

We spent one and an half sessions on the Pope. Cynthia suggested that this chapter contains the core teaching of Meditations on the Tarot. In the Pope card, the Unknown Author visualizes the spiritual respiration of the world. There are two pillars behind the Pontiff (meaning "bridge"), one is the pillar of severity, truth and suffering upon which prayerful activity ascends, the other is the pillar of mercy by which benediction descends. This vertical respiration is modeled in the kabbalah's tree of life, which Cynthia introduced to us. There is also a horizontal respiration which expresses the love of one's neighbour, of the angelic, and of nature.

The Pope is the heart in the middle of these respirations, an authority who guards the precepts of moral logic and balances the vertical and horizontal respirations - the ideal and the actual, the eternal and the provisional. Cynthia noted that each archetype has its proper objective sphere which exists in the cosmos. Many in the class felt that the de facto pope of the world is the Dalai Lama.

Each human being is a microcosm of the universe - and the Pope exists as the heart within you. Each Arcanum and its associated archetype is an enzyme or catalyst, so in addition, the Pope can be considered an enzyme within you, and you are an enzyme within it.

The strength of the Pope archetype is his transformed will or heart. His transformation comes through the three vows of chastity, obedience and poverty. Not only for moral purification, these vows are methods of perceptual purification, wounds by which the heart and will become organs of perception. Willingly embraced, these wounds are windows by which enlightenment may enter.

Obedience comes in listening deeply, through centering prayer, and in accepting, respecting and honouring our current condition. Obedience puts us into coherent respect for the whole, a respect which radiates in all directions. Through obedience we enable servant leadership to happen, but coercion must never be allowed to form a part of the spiritual realm.

Poverty is the practice of emptiness, the cultivation of the beginner's mind, and the yearning for truth which impels us to learn. Centering prayer also aids in developing an attitude of poverty. Be prepared to put on the mind of your greatest critic, to draw your truth out of the present rather than the past, and to keep all your conclusions provisional.

Chastity, in the view of both Cynthia and the Unknown Author of the Meditations, is not about sexual abstinence but the purification and nurture of the heart. Thus a married person may be chaste and a virgin unchaste. The heart becomes one's centre of gravity, beauty becomes a mode of perception, and one's heart beats in accord with the divine. Codependency and fanaticism are primary sins against the heart, for no other human being can give you what you yourself and the divine can.

We are not punished for our sins, but by our sins. The three vows release us from the old program which condemns us to blind and hopeless suffering. Through the vows, the human journey becomes a cyclic progression to a regained innocence tempered by conscious suffering, acceptance and love. This is Paradise Regained.

Cynthia made this very inspiring statement: "The end of time is when we get off linear time... when you reach the end of time all things can be accomplished, all the roads not taken are taken, and you find that nothing has been lost."

Blessings - David