Is there an original b&w RWS deck?

coredil

Hello,

As I got no answer to this question on the black & white decks list thread, I try to ask here.
Does someone knows if there is a black and white version of the RWS with the original drawings of Pamela Coleman Smith?
I am aware of the dutch version with red titles, of the BOTA and The glow in the Dark.
But after having seen on Holly's Rider_waite Site the picture of a black and white card with the Fool:
http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/ShipofFools.html
(scroll to the 10th picture row from the top) with the US Gamescopyright on it, I wondered if a b&w US-Games version of the RWS has existed.

And does someone knows what is the meaning of the text Holly wrote under the picture?
Audio Renaissance Tapes - from An Audio Exploration of the Tarot by Mary Greer - 1988
©US Games Systems Inc.
57x89 mm

Best regards

Fulgour

Scissors & Glue

If you feel up to it you can get a second hand copy
of The Pictorial Key to the Tarot by Alfred E. Waite
and simply cut out the pages that have the pictures.
There's nothing printed on the backs of them either,
which gives an indication of how deep a book it was.

coredil

Hello Fulgour,

Why not ;-) though I believe the paper would probably not be thick enough.
I rather think about printing the pictures on a thick fotopaper, there are 1200 dpi scans of the major arcana around which are pretty good.

But this is another point ;-)
I would simply like to know if there was such a deck or from what deck does the card on Holly's site come from.

Teheuti

coredil said:
Does someone know if there is a black and white version of the RWS with the original drawings of Pamela Coleman Smith? . . .
And does someone knows what is the meaning of the text Holly wrote under the picture?
Audio Renaissance Tapes - from An Audio Exploration of the Tarot by Mary Greer - 1988
©US Games Systems Inc.
57x89 mm

This describes the deck that Holly used on her site. It was a small B&W version of the RWS done by U.S. Games specifically for an audiotape and deck set that I once did (I believe it was a division of St. Martin's). The timing was not right and the product was never sold to the right market. It came out at the same time as a whole bunch of other tapes on I-Ching and Runes, etc. in an attempt to get them into places like Borders and Waldens. The whole line didn't sell well and quickly went out of print.

This is a rare deck/tape set. I only have two left of my own.

Mary

coredil

Mary,

I am very honored and thankfull that you took the time to personally answer to this thread.
I find it is really a pitty that this deck went so quick out of print and that it did not get the success it should have had.

I cant really explain it, but I like very much the b&w pictures from Pamela Smith Coleman, probably more than all the colored version.
Maybe it is something like Music.
As a composer I spend much time arranging and orchestrating my music but I always keep an intime and tender relation to the first rough version of a piece I wrote (say just the melodie with a guitar accompaniment).

Well, maybe one day someone will sell one of this rare deck on E-Bay for a few dollars and nobody but I will have notice of it ;-)

If you agree, I could add this deck on the Black & White deck List thread with a link to Holly's pictures.

Best regards
coredil

Jeannette

There was also a B&W edition of the Rider Waite published in a fairly large size (not huge, like the current USG "giant" edition, but larger than the current USG "standard" edition) published in the Netherlands at one time. The card titles were printed in red, but everything else appears to have been reproduced as per the illustrations in from the Waite book. I'm not sure when it was published (truelighth might, if you want to PM her), but I think it was from sometime in the 80s.

http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/dbsearchengine.php?view_title=dutch

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

coredil

Thanks for your answer Jeannette ;-)
Truelight already told me about this deck that was printed in Netherland in the 1980's and she was also so kind to send me her b&w list.
I guess I will have to write you on Tarotgarden to set me on a waiting list for this dutch deck ;-)

BTW I notice it is quite difficult today to reach your site, I tried several times today without success :-(

Best regards

Teheuti

coredil said:
If you agree, I could add this deck on the Black & White deck List thread with a link to Holly's pictures.

Sure - go ahead.

Mary

Jeannette

coredil said:
BTW I notice it is quite difficult today to reach your site, I tried several times today without success
Keep trying. Our new server is working fine, but now our Internet Service Provider (ISP) is having difficulties. I am having trouble connecting to the Internet from my personal computer, which is on the same line as the server. It will probably take me several tries to send this post. But I have discovered that if I keep trying, eventually the connection is made.

Our ISP has informed us that they are working to fix the problems. Thank you for your patience during this frustrating time (and just when we fixed things to run faster here... *sigh*...)

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

Asher

Teheuti said:
This describes the deck that Holly used on her site. It was a small B&W version of the RWS done by U.S. Games specifically for an audiotape and deck set that I once did... This is a rare deck/tape set. I only have two left of my own.

Mary

I have this tape/deck set and just love it! It was a rare find at a local used bookstore. I often take out the deck and look at the b&w images...very compelling.

And, I still use some of the information Mary presents on the tape in my own Tarot classes. Thanks Mary!

Asher