Arcus Arcanum deck

weaver

I have just recently tripped over a few on-line images taken from the Arcus Arcanum deck which have piqued my curiosity. I'd be most interested in hearing thoughts from those of you who may have seen or worked with this deck. Do you like it? Why or why not? Thanks in advance for insights that may be offered here!

weaver

TheOld

i found it a lot like a "lovers tarot" theres lot of man and girl on every card.
the pictures are verry beautifull and the people take lot of space on the cards(like the morgan greer).
i found this tarot a verry good one to address loves issue
Oméada

Citrin

I saw some of the cards online a few months ago, and loved them! I had the opportunity to look at all the cards in a store, and I didn't feel so amazed anymore. It is decent, but it feels a little rushed to me and not so well thought out.

Most of all I was very turned off by the comic book art (especially the people in the cards). Just not my thing, but if you like that kind of art you will probably love the Arcus Arcanum.

weaver

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this one, Citrin and Omeada. I have recently been been finding myself disappointed by decks I've ordered because of intriguing images I have found on-line. It seems as though viewing decks on the internet should prevent such disappointments but that certainly hasn't always been the case for me. The insights of others are my best way to get a feel for what a deck is like. Thanks!

weaver

Fulgour

It's on my "maybe" wish list, but so far it looks like
Prince Valiant meets Knapp-Hall in the Tarot Realm.

Little Baron

Citrin said:
I saw some of the cards online a few months ago, and loved them! I had the opportunity to look at all the cards in a store, and I didn't feel so amazed anymore. It is decent, but it feels a little rushed to me and not so well thought out.

Most of all I was very turned off by the comic book art (especially the people in the cards). Just not my thing, but if you like that kind of art you will probably love the Arcus Arcanum.

I have to agree with Citrin. For a while, I was very interested in this deck - I think it was The Lovers card that swung it, and also, the one where they are looking in a mirror. I thought 'that's a nice take'.

But delving deeper, I became less impressed. The comic art didn't feel right for me and what really bothered me was that so many of the characters looked the same - not just on each card, but within each card - many women looking like clones of each other, and the same with some of the men. I do occasionally look at the samples and think 'that is nice' but I don't think it is one I could work very deeply with. Of course, what I do or don't see is different to someone else. Have you looked at all of the cards in the dec online? I think there is a link in one of the sticky's on the Tarot Deck board.

LB

Citrin

weaver said:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this one, Citrin and Omeada. I have recently been been finding myself disappointed by decks I've ordered because of intriguing images I have found on-line. It seems as though viewing decks on the internet should prevent such disappointments but that certainly hasn't always been the case for me. The insights of others are my best way to get a feel for what a deck is like. Thanks!

weaver
The best thing is to find sites that show ALL the cards in a deck! I would've never bought my Old English if I hadn't found that. As soon as I saw all the cards I knew it would be great for me, and it was.:) And I've changed my mind on so many decks when I've seen all the cards... Saved me tons of money! There's a good sticky thread in this forum that has a list of see-all-the-cards-links. www.tarot.com also has a great gallery with like 40 decks.

Citrin

LittleBuddha:
Yeah, I still sometimes feel like I want the deck, but naaah... All the cards have got to click for me!

Annabelle

LittleBuddha said:
But delving deeper, I became less impressed. The comic art didn't feel right for me and what really bothered me was that so many of the characters looked the same - not just on each card, but within each card - many women looking like clones of each other, and the same with some of the men.
Yes, I agree! The comic art style doesn't bother me, but there is a lot of repetitiveness to the characters and the scenes (which is what you'd expect to see in a comic book, I suppose, but it is bothersome to me in a tarot deck). I also agree with what Fulgour said - it does have a very "Prince Valiant" look to it. I like the Arcus Arcanum deck overall, but so far have not found it to be good for actually doing readings. A few of the cards really strike me as wonderful, but then there are others I simply don't care for.

Little Baron

There was a card I looked at - don't know which, but it had two blonde women in the foreground and a couple in the back. The blonde women looked exactly the same and for me, the reason, it didn't click was if I have an illustrated deck, I want there to be some personality in the people within it. As much as I think some of the cards are nice (mainly majors), the remainder feel a bit 'flat'.

The biggest disappointment for me with a deck like this is not 'how it is', it is 'how it could have been'.
LB