Whetted Swords: RWS Imagery

Fulgour

Looking at the Sword "Pips" there are SIX featuring Water:
2 - 3 - 5 - 6 - 8 - 10 all have Water featured in their imagery.

Comparing this ratio to other suits, including Cups, gives
the impression of there being great 'intention' by the artist
to stress a relationship between Swords and things-watery.

Pamela Colman Smith was an Aquarius, where we see the
Water Bearer pouring Water into a Stream (viz: aeration),
but since Swords relate to Mental Activity, well~ I wonder.

Nina*

You're right.... but I've always just thought that that was because it is extremely difficult to seperate feelings from the mind (it is possible to feel without thinking but not easy to think without feeling)... :confused:

xxx
Nina

ArcanoMáximo

Oh, yes, i've noted these connections too, as in the Knight of Cups & Swords cards, they seem to be the same, but going in opposed directions, and with little differences in their armor, but the horse is clearly the same in both. And now you say this about the water. I guess also that migth be something about feelings and thoughts. And fixing them (wind & waves) in the knight level that may become a real storm!!!

Attachments

• KnighCups.jpeg
    KnighCups.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 180
  • KnightSwords.jpeg
    KnightSwords.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 201

ArcanoMáximo

I was remembering that in the Arthurian Legends the Excalibur sword is provided by the Lady of the Lake to defend the Kingdom and the Avalon magic.
And if we see to the card all the swords seem to be guarding the pass to the lake behind, and the lanscape is similar to Glastonbury, where someones say Arthur is buried or where the ancient "isle of apples" really was.
Properly, the 6 swords seems to show the return of Arthur to Avalon, his final earthly destination, where he was conveyed upon receiving his mortal wound from Mordred.
Coincidence?
Thoughts must guard and lead the magic of feeling?
Ideas arise from emotions?

Attachments

• 2Swords.jpeg
    2Swords.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 6Swords.jpeg
    6Swords.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Excalibur1.bmp
    270 KB · Views: 179
  • Excalibur.bmp
    136.2 KB · Views: 179

Ukkonen

The Sword cards are definitely the most turbulent of the Suit cards...and to me the problems of the Swords (mentality) seem to rise from the fact that the water (emotions) are cut off in most case...3 of Swords would be a "positive" exception -more or less- of combining air & water...6 of Swords is also very close to water but there's still a very "limited vision" to that element. Swords No. 2, 5, 8 and 10 are all blocking water/emotions - although in the 8 of Swords the tide seems to be rising (time to confront emotions) -?

One thing to consider is that the Swords actually are present in the Cups -- look at the sky (element of Air/Swords) - it doesn't look the same in each and every Cups -card...