Herbal Tarot

Emily

I've just been browsing Amazon UK and noticed the Herbal Tarot - it seems like a really nice deck, RWS inspired but with the herbal influences, nicely drawn figures and colourful.

The artwork isn't straight RWS, the Devil has been changed to Pan, the Hanged Man is now Suspended Person - both of which made me smile (which is always a good sign) :) - The artwork is very attractive and I'm one click away from ordering the deck and book set but I thought I would ask first to see who uses this deck.

Does it read well? Are there any drawbacks to having a deck that seems to focus on herbal attributes as well as tarot symbolism?

SongDeva

I think it's great...like the RWS but fresher. I would get the book with it, definitely, which will teach you a bit about the herbs and how they apply. I hope you enjoy it!

WolfSpirit

I also love this deck, it reads easily for everyone familiar with RWS. You don't need to know about herbs to read with it, but it invites you to learn more about them :)
All the images of plants and herbs makes the deck come more alive for me and also has a soothing effect.

Emily

Hi SongDeva and WolfSpirit,

Yes I caved in and have ordered it :D - the deck and book set. I think the reason I've never bothered with the deck before was because I thought it was a straight Rider Waite re-drawing with plants, not really that interesting (or so I thought).

Yesterday though I had a really good look at it and noticed the re-drawn cards so not a copy of the RWS but a clone deck - left it overnight but I was still thinking about the deck this morning too so went looking for images and from the one's I've seen, its really appealing to me.

Its close enough to the RWS imagery for me to be able to get to grips with reading it but then it has the added value of learning how each herb ties into the card image.

The decks I've bought recently have been giving me a real challenge, the Gill and Vargo's Gothic - so much so that I'm leaving them be for a while. So with my birthday coming up soon I'm treating myself to a deck that I'll be able to read using what I already know and the added advantage of the herbs.

I wonder does any one know if Lavender is included in any of the cards?

Ilithiya

After looking through the deck and its lwb, I couldn't find lavender. That's odd. You'd think it'd be in there... sorry :(

Illy

lark

Sorry Emily no lavender.

sunflowr

I love the deck! (hey there, fellow Gill user, by the way! ;) I too am having a hard time with Gill and am putting it away for the time being in favor of World Spirit).

Ok, back to Herbal Tarot: I love the deck, but havent read with it as much. But yes, the herbal meanings add alot to the cards and make it easier to read. Also feels much more earthy, and even the negative cards are seen as opportunities to healing. I think you will love it.

No lavendar, but there is marijuana! ;D

Emily

Hi Ilithiya, lark and Sunflowr,

Just thought I would ask about the Lavender but its not a problem with it not being included - I've already seen some of my other favourite plants. :)

I'm off on holiday again today so I've had to try and work out when the deck will come - I think I have about 9 to 10 days - should have ordered it before then the Herbal would have come with me. :D

So you've put the Gill on the backburner too Sunflowr? - I don't think I've made a mistake ordering it but the Minors don't follow the symbolism I already know, I think a Thoth user would get alot out of the Gill, but I've just been so busy lately that its all I can do to find time to get the Morgan Greer and RWS out.

I think that is what is drawing me towards the Herbal, from the cards I've seen and from my limited knowledge of herbs and plants, I think this deck will be a learning experience and not a headache of a challenge lol

Sulis

I have this deck but haven't really used it much.

You're making me feel as if I should get it out and have a play with it.

The backs of the cards are lovely too.

Love

Sulis xx

Citrin

sunflowr said:
No lavendar, but there is marijuana! ;D
Haha no way? I must check this deck out.:D