Tarot of Prague's Bluntness

FireRaven

Hey Tarot friends,

I've been working with the Tarot of Prague for a few days (got the deck in a trade here and the companion book in the mail from Baba Studio on Monday), and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed that it's an extremely blunt deck -- sometimes laughably so.

Don't misunderstand, I've started to connect with it, but am sometimes surprised with it's "No sentimentality" approach to its advice. Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks for the feedback...
- FireRaven

Flidais

I had not noticed "bluntness" per se (although that may be because I am, by nature, blunt! LOL) I have noticed that I do get very clear, direct answers with a dash of refreshing humor here and there.

Maybe you can give an example of what you consider "laughably" blunt? :D

mercenary30

I have found this deck to behave that way regularly. That is one of the reasons why this deck is such a joy to work with!!

FireRaven

"Laughably Blunt"

OK...here's an example. My new sister (in law) just found out she is pregant. Given her new marriage to my brother, David, along with his serious neurological condition which we still don't have answers for, she asked me to do a reading on why they were having a baby so soon. I should also note that she has been on strong birth control, and they fully expected to wait 3 or 4 years before consciously trying to have a child.

Now, I know that the cards answer the question closest to your heart at any given time, which may not be the question you verbalize, so when I did a spread, for them, the first position was, "What do I most need to know now?"

The High Priestess showed up, and I had a very clear sense that she was saying, "Why is the wrong question -- this child is meant to be born -- its story already written in My book. You need to look inside yourselves as to how you will manage, and bring your deepest interior strengths up to the surface."

Later, in a position that explored what the consequences would be if they stayed their present course (at least for a while) as a relatively carefree, newly married couple, Justice came up. In this instance, I felt that the card was saying, "Whether for good or bad, you made your bed, so lie in it." This is what caused me to really laugh because we had talked about taking responsibility for being parents when they just visited this past weekend.

This was my first "full" reading with this deck, with cards and positions being related to one another. I had been doing the "one a day meditation" and such, but hadn't "put it all together" until now.

Anyway, I am getting clear readings without sentimentality, and I like that. I just wasn't prepared for some of the "tongue in cheek" teasing and well, bluntness that the cards seemed to enjoy showing me.

-FireRaven

Flidais

FireRaven said:
"Why is the wrong question -- this child is meant to be born -- its story already written in My book. You need to look inside yourselves as to how you will manage, and bring your deepest interior strengths up to the surface."

"Whether for good or bad, you made your bed, so lie in it."
LOL -- it's sort of the way I imagine my cats would talk if they used "human-speak."

FireRaven

Lol

Flidais said:
LOL -- it's sort of the way I imagine my cats would talk if they used "human-speak."
Actually, this is the way my cat talks, "human speak" or not!!!

Zephyros

I don't have the Tarot of Prague, but yes, I do know what you mean. There are decks that give it to you in your face, no tact, no sentiments. The Thoth, for example; I have found it to quite a bitchy deck. I'f I need comfort, then that will certainly not be the deck that I'll use. ;)

FireRaven

Glad I'm not the only one...

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this with the ToP, or other decks for that matter. I've certainly got decks with a certain "feel" to them, but this was my first meeting with "no holds barred" (yet strangely refreshing) deck.

Thanks for your feedback. I thought I was being a wimp. ;)
-FireRaven

la-luna

you're certainly not the only one !!!

it is blunt ,never diplomatic but right to the point with a little hint of irony in it's voice but sometimes that's just what is needed in certain occasions and then the ToP really does its job perfectly and i appreciate it then for it's directness ! but certainly not one to use with that very sensitive person !

Bean Feasa

I wouldn't describe it as 'blunt' exactly but I've often described it as 'teacherly' which I suppose is a word that could cover saying things like 'you've made your bed so lie in it'. Yeah, I'd say there's a kind of 'pull-yourself-together' feel about the Tarot of Prague. I use it when I feel I need a good talking-to. ;) It also recently came up with a great ending for a short story I was stuck on. Wonderful deck!