Which deck would be a good start?

House

Hi everyone,

I want to buy a deck but there is sooo many. I like the Marseille one because it is the oldest and must be the better one since so many have done readings with it.

What I want is:

1- The oldest deck since a lot of ppl read with it
2- A deck that is reffering to the rôle that someone could have(I don't know if all deck's are like that)
3- Easy to start with
4- That has a lot of details to make a more detail reading...don't know if it's true...
5- Beautiful illustrations

Thanks you for your help !

peace,

House

Eco74

If you feel drawn to the Marseille, then you should get a Marseille.

If you want the benefit of a book to help you study the meanings though a Rider-Waite variety would be a good place to start. Also, the RWS-style decks are more elaborated in their illustrations which may or may not make it easier to read with.
Though there are many sources for studies with the Marseille aswell. Mainly simply using the deck..

There is this one; http://www.krishadar.com/A/Index1A.asp
And then there are the "how may it be read" threads on reading Marseille-cards here on the forum.

If you haven't already, do check out the decks-section (link on the top right of the page).
It's a virtual goldmine of decks of all kinds..

ViridianMoth

Yeah, listen to the Swedes! :)
My first deck ever was of the Marseilles variety and I can really recomend it for beginners! It's much clearer, I think, in its way of "communicating" than the RW-style decks. Also, it feels nicely archaic and ancient. There are so many beutiful reproductions of this deck, that there is really no reason not to get one if you like it. Go for it!

House

Thanks for the link eco74. The link is a must !

Annabelle

I agree with what the others have said so far . . . if you feel drawn to the Marseilles, then go for it! It is a great deck with a long and rich history, and there is a lot of information out there about it - although not many books in English. Although the minor arcana cards are not "scenic" they are illustrated, quite beautifully so, and there's no reason that a beginner couldn't use this deck.

Something to be aware of, though, is that there are many different versions/editions of the Marseilles. If you want something colorful, there's the Fournier. If you want something really eye-catching and snazzy, there's the Rhodes-Sanchez. If you want something elegant with clean lines, there's the Hadar, or perhaps the Jodo-Camoin. If you want a commonly accepted "modern classic" version, there's the Grimaud. And I'm only scratching the surface here; there are many more versions out there. Personally, I like my Marseilles with a little bit of "bling" and so I favor the Fournier and the Rhodes-Sanchez :).

Little Baron

I think the Marseille is a good choice, with your criteria in mind.

Some people think it is too complicated for a beginner, but I wonder if that is down to the fact that many studied another tradition first. I came to the Marseille later and was stumped because I had already worked with the RWS and Thoth tradition. But after a while it started to click.

I think that if you begin with a Marseille and check out the great resources suggested already, I don't think you would have any problems. I think it is a good place to start.

I use the Hadar regularly, but also like the Conver (it feels older) and have the Grimaud, which I like but do not use as much.

Good luck and let us know how you get on and which one you choose.

LB

Moonchild1721

I personally started with a RWS deck, and did well witht that, but I agree with everyone else here. Go with the deck that you connect with the best.
Samantha

House

Thanks for the respons.

I will have a Marseille deck since it is well documented and good to start with. I'll check the esoteric shop near for which Marseille one to take.

They sell a deck for 30$ CAN...is it expensive?

Asenath

check amazon.ca and chapters.ca and compair the prices for the specific decks...that may help...

Ace

House said:
1- The oldest deck since a lot of ppl read with it
2- A deck that is reffering to the rôle that someone could have(I don't know if all deck's are like that)
3- Easy to start with
4- That has a lot of details to make a more detail reading...don't know if it's true...
5- Beautiful illustrations

I wound NOT start with a Marsailles. For one thing, it isn't the deck everyone reads with--A LOT use it here, but elsewhere, I would say it isn't popular. Also, it has no pictures to give you somethiing to free associate with as you learn the cards.
If you really want a deck "a lot of ppl read with" get a Rider-Waite varient. I would recommend the Universal Waite, since the recoloring makes it (IMHO) more accessable.

But for beautifu illuistrations too, I would pick a Robin Wood. It is close to Rider-Waite in style, it is a deck "lots of ppl read with" and it has beautiful illustrations too.

Just my $0.02.
Ace