The Crystal Tarot: Inspired, or just Random Designs?

Kittaine

I was looking at the Cup cards of the Crystal Tarot, trying to compare one card with another; and the impression I got was that no real thought was put behind the designs. I don't know. It's just my initial impression. What do you guys think? I'll add more here as I go through the deck. :)

mythos

My understanding, from reading the LWB, is that the deck was inspired by the artwork of Gustav Klimt. I love the deck, though I can't imagine reading with it ... and I'm hanging out for the actual Klimt deck which uses his art ... but that's because I love his work. I don't care if I ever read with that one.

Might be worthwhile googling 'Klimt' and taking a look at his artwork. Mind you, inspired by Klimt, the Crystal Tarot may be, but not impressively. I still love the deck for 'looking at' purposes just the same!

mythos:)

weaver

This deck is so exquisite. I even love the design of the deck backs! Still, I agree with mythos. I can't imagine reading with the Crystal Tarot. (Actually, that isn't quite right. I DID think I was going to read with it but found upon purchase that I couldn't.)

It's too bad. I think this deck could have been so much better (usable) if simply some basic thought had been given to the colors that were used on the individual cards. As it is, we play the Tree of Life version of Chutes and Ladders with it.

weaver
(who is still looking for "the" deck)

Cerulean

Scroll down to the 20th post of the linked thread--the listings of Eudes Picard

done in the early 1900s are the closest match to the minors historically. Others have commented where Eudes Picard minor meanings and the Crystal Tarots differ. The majors were sold separately at first in a large format.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=36250&highlight=crystal+tarots

And just my opinion below, after trying to crack the delicate codes with my hard-headed noggin and hopeful heart...

Actually I was tracking the history of this set and finally located an out-of-print Italian book on the majors and minors. While I believe a lot of thought went into the designs, it wasn't an easy system. It's elegance isn't easily perceptible nor intuitive to my filters, nor is the Italian references easy to translate. Others probably can do much much better than myself!

And it's a beautiful deck, gliding with colors and poetic ribbons in design...

The little white book that comes with the edition available now does it's best to summarize Eudes Picard minors in terms of the Crystal Tarots design. The printing on the 'after 2001 edition' in terms of colors and clarity and bigger images was much improved from the early 1998-2000 editions, if I recall--I cut up my small version after the 2001 edition came out.

It's not really close to Klimt as we know his designs. Elisabetta Trevisan likely created originals which in the 1990s was the closest and most beautifully evocative suggestive of art interaction with tarot that was Klimt-like then. I tend to think of it as a tribute to the Beetoven Frieze artistry and mileaux of Austrian world of art that Klimt might have lived in.

I am, like others, waiting for the Golden Klimt, to see if the gilded deck is most like the common Klimt images we know today.

Best regards,

Hopefully code-cracking' Cerulean

Eco74

I really like this deck, and have read with it a few times.

Looking through the minors now, I do see that there are a lot of differences between the cards in each suit, but it seems to fit the deck somehow so it doesn't bother me at all.
Also, with the variations in the minors, the difference in meaning for them comes out clearer. There are faces and shapes woven in, some classic marseille-patterns and some bits that make me think of the Thoth (though I've only ever seen scans of it).

Similarities in a suit are more common, but this 'twist' appeals to me since it does not just follow a pattern, it goes on to portraying each card, each minor in its own way, while still keeping the images simplistic and basic on the surface (with the suit-symbol in focus).

blackroseivy

Odd how we differ! I can & do read with the Crystal; I get oddly "crystal"-clear readings from it, for a deck with pips! I find that there is something evocative in the way that the suit symbols are laid out, which is as much a springboard for me as decorated minors. Just my thoughts.

Sulis

I recently traded this deck away as I'm much better with more pictoral minors.

I do know people who read with this deck though and they love it.

There is a study group although it hasn't been active for a while. I've just made an index thread for it - here's a link: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=589309#post589309

Love

Sulis xx

Kittaine

Sulis said:
I recently traded this deck away as I'm much better with more pictoral minors.

I do know people who read with this deck though and they love it.

There is a study group although it hasn't been active for a while. I've just made an index thread for it - here's a link: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=589309#post589309

Love

Sulis xx

Thanks, Sulis! I'd need this!

Emily

I traded my deck away too - my first ever trade on here :)

I really liked the deck from the scans but once I'd got it I knew that I would never read with it - it is a beautiful deck but it didn't do anything for me at all.

But I agree with Sulis there are quite a few on here who love the Crystal Tarot.

The 78th Fool

I also traded this deck!...........and regretted it afterwards!!

This was a major disappointment for me when I bought it. This wasn't because I was disappointed with the artwork - quite the reverse. I still think it's one of the most exquisitely rendered decks I've ever come across. I just found it hard to work with the elemental attributions. I find it really difficult to see swords as water and cups as air - It just doesn't work for me. Nevertheless, I'm still going to buy another copy when I can afford to. I really miss just looking at these incredibly beautiful cards.

Chris. xx