The Cafe Reader Diary :)

Elven

Hi all! :)

I started this thread as a follow on from the news of getting a job; reading Tarot in a Cafe.
I thought I'd post weekly - for a while anyway - just to let others know what it might be like and to let you know whats happeneing :)

It started on this thread but a shortened quote of the story is below :)
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=45718

How it started:
I was in my local book shop picking up my Spirit Guide Oracle set, and talking to the lady there. She said to me that the lady across the mall would like to see me as she'd like me to read Tarot in her cafe one day a week!!! Yay!

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about pulling out your Tarot cards while your in a public space. I replied to the thread because I always open my new decks at this particular cafe. That day, the waitress asked me - 'Are they Tarot cards?'. I chatted to her for a while about them.
Apparently the owner of the cafe saw me and knew I visited the bookshop to buy my decks. She asked the lady in the bookshop for my number - to ask me if I could read in the cafe!!!

Now - funny thing - the cafe has a great feel to it. Partly indoor - partly outdoor - in a very quiet corner of the world. I once sat outside and told a friend about 3 months ago - 'one day Im going to read here!'. She agreed. She has no trouble with my psychic babble. So I sat there are filled the little corner I was sitting in with light. I visualized myself sitting there with my Tarot and Oracle decks reading away - happy people - beautiful atmosphere. I cant remeber what I said to put my energy there - but I really felt comfortable and very intent!
Voila!!! Job!!!

So today was my first day and I'll explain a bit more in the posts below.

Many Blessings
Elven x

Elven

Hi All,

So today was my first day and I had nerves!! but thanks to all those who sent light!! It really helped :)

I had sorted out a list of the things I was going to take earlier in the week, and during the morning I packed my basket and checked over everything.

I took with me:
Tarot: RWS, Gilded: Ciro Marchetti, Oswald Worth TdM: Oswald Wirth, Native American Tarot: Magda Weck & J. A. Gonzalez, Egyptian Tarot: Comte Saint-Germain, Thoth: Aleister Crowley

Oracle:
The Oracle of Magdalene: Toni Carmine-Salerno, Ask your Guides: Sonia Choquette, Healing with the Angels: Doreen Virtue, Dreamcards: Strephon Kaplan-Williams, Sabian Symbols - Lynda Hill.

Other: Pendulum and Numerology Forms.

Also along for the journey:
Rosie the pink Quartz crystal, My purple silk reading cloth, Tablecloth clips, Business Cards, Blank Tarot Cards - for querant questions, Diary, Phone,Note pads / pens, Info Brochures (prices, resource and referal), Coupons and Change

These all fit in my basket.

I arrived a bit early and set up. I had the choice of which table i wanted to read from and weather I wanted to sit inside or outside. I chose outside, its a little more private and I can be seen easily. The setting is a courtyard with a covered roof where I sit, but with an opening so as the sun comes through. There are tree in planter boxes and little gardens.

The table isnt very large, but the chairs are very comfortable.

I unpacked my basket and laid out my reading cloth. Put my Tarot Box and Crystal on the table, put up my coloured sign on the wall next to me, I pulled out my pens and paper, pulled up another chair. I tidied the table so it looked nice and inviting, and I ordered a coffee, sat down and waited. Then I white lighted the courtyard and my space - my surroundings.

The gig isnt for a very long time about 4-5 hours in the afternoon - but long enough to start with. I havent worked for a little while with people face to face and I havent read publicly for a long time.

While I was waiting I started writing down questions I thought people might ask - and then I wrote my answers. Things like 'what is Tarot', 'What does it do?' LOL!! This kept me busy for over an hour. During this time I was aware of the people who were strolling through the courtyard often looking up and smiling then going back to my writing.
I also practised my numerology calculating skills and I brought out 2 decks shuffled and them and drew some cards for how it would go.

Card 1: Death. LOL!! - OK its not going to be busy - business is a bit dead, but its a new start and the first day, and thats OK too :)

Then I remebered something else -
Story: The owner has told me (just prior) that the last reader had passed away :( (Yes I was a bit shocked) Hmm OK, what was I thinking before I pulled this spread beside the question -I was thinking of the Lady who used to read there.

So I pulled another card: High Priestess!! - Silently - she is still around! Im in good hands and Ive got help on another level :)

So I wrote her a letter, as things were still quiet. I thanked her for the path she had made - (not the concrete one - the Tarot one :D) and asked for her help during the time I would work there. I finished up the letter and sat for a while just looking at the scenery, occassionally shuffling a deck and sipping my coffee.

The waitress asked if I was staying for long, I said I'd give it another hour! Within 5 minutes she had borrowed some money from the owner - asked for half an hour off - and was sitting opposite me. She handed me some money and asked - Would you do a reading for me?

Well the reading was wonderful - it just flowed. I started to shake a bit - I do that sometimes - my jaw freezes up - but I know its going to be a good reading. I just took a breath and relaxed - I read for 45 minutes and she didnt want a coffee, but she did have a couple of cigarettes - she was nervous, but she was leaning over the cards eagerly as I explained them to her during the reading.

To start:
She had not had a reading before - so I talked her through what we were going to do together. I explained the different types of Tarot and Oracle cards and she chose the deck she wanted - (she asked for me to use 'my favourite') - and when I got them out she said 'thats them! I like those'! (RWS) We explored what type of question and how to fame it. The question was written on a card with some other words, and then it was placed under the reading cloth. After some explaination - from the deck she then chose a signifier.
I used a Celtic Cross spread. During the reading, she asked many questions as the first card out explained what was happening all at once. I overlayed all these cards with another layer (just what I do) and then read and explained the next layer and intergrated them into the first layers reading.
We were running out of time - as I thought might happen - but I finished the reading asking her would she like anything clarified. She was very happy she said no - so I just said 'OK Ill summerize'
As put the cards back into the deck a pair at a time, and in the order of her story (no necessarily the order of the card layout), I gave each one a defination using a statement. This summarized the reading points. I removed her 'question' card from under the cloth - I shuffled my deck as she was saying she had to get back to work and off she skipped!! I shuffled again to clear the cards and my reading - cut the deck and folded them (ritualistically) into their cloth and put them back in their box. Reading complete.

I wont always explain each reading evey post - maybe makes points aabout things I discover on this journey, but I know there were those who wanted to know how it went today so I must say the first reading was a pleasure! :) The ice is broken! :)

Some things to bring for next weeks list:
Warmer shoes/socks - my feet were very cold being outside.
Tissues - for me and for the client. Didint need them but I forgot I didnt have any. Dont want to splutter all over their reading or have a runny nose. Forgot that some people may get upset. (I will leave them in my basket though)
Little Receipt book: Record takings easily - not all people will want one but better to have the book there and write them out. (keep in basket)

Oh, and I recieved a sms from my sorta bf who said the most wonderful things and wished me luck.

So my day was very pleasant in the end. I packed up my basket - which only took a minute to do, close up my reading space with white light, put the salt & pepper shakers, menu and ashtray back on the table I was using, paid for my coffee, said goodbye to the owner and the waitress and then skipped off myself!! :)

Looking forward to next week!! :)

Many Blessings
Elven x

Sulis

Thankyou Elven for that wonderful post.

I'm so glad your day went well - hopefully that'll be me one day (not yet though :)).

I really liked the idea of writing the querant's question down on a card and putting it under the reading cloth - I don't do that but it's something I'm going to try out.
I also like the idea of filling the space with light before you begin :)

I'm off to a music festival this weekend with my husband (he runs a sound system) and I'm planning on doing some readings -it'll be my first time reading for strangers face to face so this post has been just what I need right now.

Thanks again

Sulis xx

Elven

Oh thats so Cool Sulis!!! :) Good on you for taking the plunge. Im glad the post helped. I think I was fortunate for having such a great day. I hope yours is a wonderful experience for you too! The energy should be great - happy people & music - just hope its not distracting. (well at least you can ask the sound engineer to 'turn it down' for you ;))

So I send my congratulations to you, and the very best for the day!! I hope you get wonderful clients!! and as many as you need! :)

(((((((Happy Sulis :))))))))

Blessings
Elven x

Phoenix Rising

Hi Elven

that was a neat summary of your days events, i could feel the atmosphere of your cafe working environment by your written expression...neat. And you must have a big basket, crikey everything except the kitchen sink:joke:

But goodluck and have fun. Look forward to your next entry.

blessings
Lucille

stonepsycho

It sounds like this is going to be an amazing experience for you! Good luck for the future working there :D

huredriel

Elven that sounded absolutely wonderful, and as I read through it felt so serene and light. What a wonderful way to start :)

Many blessings as you continue, and looking forward to hearing more.

x Huredriel

Elven

Phoenix Rising said:
And you must have a big basket, crikey everything except the kitchen sink

Good point: Carrying options coming up! :)

LOL!!!! I know it sounds like it but the basket is not all that big - Its about 13 and a half inches wide by 10 and a half inches wide. It is 8 inches deep and the lid has about an inche of space inside. (The opening is a little bit bigger than the size of an A4 piece of paper and about the depth of an A5.)

It has 2 arching handles which fold down to the baskets side and the lid in hinged.
Its like a picnic basket and is made of cane. The good thing about it is that is has a washable padded cotton cover inside and out. The cover is tied into place with little bows. Its red with white poka-dots :D - very bright!
The double padded covers stop anything getting scratched, caught or falling through the cane weave. It keeps my cards secure, and everything I mentioned in the list fits in there with room to spare. (OK I didnt mention the sandwich board but then again I am taking that next week and no, it wont fit in the basket ;))
Anyway,
It cant been seen through - safety/security - and the contents are protected from the weather. Its strong and sturdy enough that nothing in the basket can bend, because Tarot cards - a few of them - can actually weigh quite a bit, add the other stuff and its close on heavy.

And it looks good :)

When I carry it I look like Im delivering muffins! :)

IMHO - A good 'container' which everything fits into and leaves you a bit of space, makes a difference. No stress - easy to unpack, easy to pack, easy to see and grab things quickly from, easy to carry, easy to store bits, not easy to loose! :) Good shape to put things on if your limited for space.

Oh and I forgot to add for next week: A small Water Proof Rubbish bag!!
I actually accumulated rubbish and didnt want to leave the table to find a bin.
There was cellophane paper, the sugar sachet papers, a dud lighter, the plastic cover to my new diary, and a pen wrapper!

stonepsycho and huredriel - thankyou so much!!
Blessings
Elven x

cormac

can't wait to read the next 'episode' :) -- sounds like a great experience

MareSaturni

Looks like you had a wonderful day! You know, i too one day hope to do the same...i just hope i have a nice little basket such as yours ;)
I wished i lived close to 'your' coffee shop!

Good luck!

:TPW Yuko