PIP deck study - Journal notes for 3 de Coupes / 3 Cups

Little Baron

I don't know how useful these threads are for anyone other than me. I don't think they are particularly specific to the Marseille, even though that is the deck I am using to get my ideas - I am thinking about the numbers and suits, which of course, aply to all tarot decks.

Anyhow ..
Here is my notes for -

3 de Coupes

- the growth of a partnership
- taking a relationship or friendship to a higher level
- the birth of something new from a transaction - maybe a creative endeavour coming to life from two sources or a baby being born from two lovers
- parents nurturing a child

- stunted growth, a point where things no longer grow, a relationship that is not moving forward but seems to be taking steps backwards
- a love triangle with more than two people involved
- over protectiveness and excessive pampering, mollycoddling

Examples:
- a child flying from the nest, leaving home for the first time
- preparing or nurturing a child or loved one for the future
- pregnancy, making plans to have a child
- first recognition of an emotional project being well-received
- smothering another and not letting them grow
- relationship counselling, seeking emotional advice from a third party

I found this one a little more difficult than the others. Occasionally, I would hit on similar ideas to the other cards but have tried to refine my sentences so that each card is as specific in meaning as I can make it.

Am I grasping at all the wrong straws?
Does anyone see these cards as I do?

One thing that did make me smile was when I thought about decks with scenic illustrations. I was wondering if this was an exercise that others, who have designed such decks, did. Is this how the couple on the 'RWS' Two of Cups came into existance - just looking over the two single cups of an earlier deck and making a pictorial representation, rather than brief sentences, as I have. I suppose all sentences could become a pictorial illustration, even though just the one, as I write, to me, could be a little limiting. Thinking of this card, as an example, for an illustrated deck, it would not be a surprise to see either a child being waved off on it's first day at school or two proud parents holding their new born child.

LB

Little Baron

Since there has been a lot of talk about non-scenic decks, I am bumping this up for further discussion.

LB

Inana

3 de coupes

Embracing a common project. Sharing dreams and emotions to create something new. The expression of love and expansion of feelings.
Family. Reproduction. Pregnancy.
Accepting someone new in a group. Consolidating a relationship.

The leaves on the floral decoration have the shape of two hearts, growing towards the third cup. I also can see clearly a female reproductive apparatus (the flower buds are the ovaries).

The three is a triangle. The third element has closed the first geometrical form.
This means the moment when we are building our own “world” and making a division between what’s inside and outside.
The one (point) and the two (line) are internal moments. In the one we are still open to multiple options, in the two a direction is taken and now the options are closed and the results projected to the exterior. We enter the third dimension, and are beginning to create something in the material/real plane.

The triangle always has been a powerful symbol, integration between mind, body and spirit. Related to cups, the emotions are in perfect harmony and working together.

I’m also having difficulties to see the negative meanings for this card. Haven't found none...:confused:

WolfSpirit

LittleBuddha said:
I don't know how useful these threads are for anyone other than me. I don't think they are particularly specific to the Marseille, even though that is the deck I am using to get my ideas - I am thinking about the numbers and suits, which of course, aply to all tarot decks.

Just popped in to say I think your threads may be very useful :thumbsup:
I don't spend so much time at Aeclectic at the moment and I rarely go to the historic forums so it is a little miracle I bumped into those. I have only scratched the surface of Marseille decks and mainly use the Druidcraft but I indeed agree the threads are not specific for Marseille decks but are useful for everyone who wants to get a deeper and broader meaning of the cards, no matter what deck is used.