Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Books Free Tarot Readings Forum Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your Tarot cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot lovers, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post your thoughts, share readings, search, save threads, view extra boards and more.

post a reply

NightWing 
Citizen

Question New Star Tarot deck

I recently came across a reference to a tarot deck called "New Star" and wondered what it looked like. The only link I found, apparently to the artist's site, is dead. So I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about this tarot deck, or has it and could describe it, or could provide a link to images and/or information. Thanks.

Old 04-09-2005 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #1
Cerulean 
Citizen

There's a link here somewhere to the journal and tarot

Tarot by Erika McGinnis:

http://www.windstormcreative.com/windstorm/23138.htm

The link above now works to buy it--the tarot is being sold through Windstorm and if you buy it with the journal, it's less expensive. The journal are meditative words about the paintings.

Here's one picture that you can click larger, to see a human figure in the middle of the constellation, flying toward the Star.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...sim/aeclectic/

The journal is just black and white scans, a paragraph or two with blank spaces for writing. The cardboard is stiff, silvery speckled on black and not cut for real cards that you can shuffle.

The deck are large squares of handpainted images, perhaps color-copied with kind of silver metallic stock.

I'm not certain, but Gerbear might have bought a set? My recommendation back some months ago to him was as a collector, he really hunts for the unusual and different..

It's hard to describe...say a naive Daughters of the Moon style painting with sometimes silvery or dark backgrounds. Or perhaps otherworldly? While there's Thothy connection descriptions in the journal, Thoth fans might probably find Via or Tarot of the Spirit better as a reading deck...

I can only suggest...in memory, one of the courts is a Egyptian pharoah head and headress on a serpent body. I've seen something similar in a Lisa Hunt deck, but as an opinion, Ms. Hunt's image was more in the theme of her Shapeshifter deck. I think one of the cards I thought I would like was in the New Star was woman lounging with a cheetah in a tree...but now I prefer to have it in storage. I found the Eden Tarot's fanciful woman and the Tiger in large size worked better for me.

I've amended my comments. As an art deck with limited production, silk-screened in color on irridescent gray cardstock, it's not like any that I've seen. I'll try to post one or two scans--a major and a court in a bit.

I'm certain someone who has bought the deck or the artist's work will somehow emerge somewhere...it looks like Amazon is just starting to carry her work. A fan who knows of her may give you a much better and glowing review!

I work with it as an art/meditative deck and it's a good alternative. But for knocking about, I will be using the Roots of Asia, as it's a sturdy meditative deck that I get quickly. The New Star Tarot takes time to absorb and it's art presentation makes it more of a collector/quiet time deck.

Best regards,

Cerulean

Hector A. Stuart
South Sea Dreamer, 1886

Last edited by Cerulean; 14-11-2005 at 12:05.
Cerulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #2
Cerulean 
Citizen

Reviving this thread--the publisher site is offering it again

although they changed the name of the small press they are distributing it under
right now. Erika McGinnis art should be available in 2005 and I plan to get her book.

For $16.00 a deck, this is a rather nice price for a good presentation. The cards are big, matte stock, and do justice to paintings. Unfortunately for me, my telephone scans aren't so great...will try to enlarge next time.

I like the tarot and will post a few scans soon. It's independent and worth a look. I just wish they had more scans of her art up!

Regards,

Cerulean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NuStar10fire (2).jpg (4.8 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg NuStarAcdisks (2).jpg (8.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg NuStarHP (2).jpg (6.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg NuStarPrFire (2).jpg (6.4 KB, 76 views)

Hector A. Stuart
South Sea Dreamer, 1886

Last edited by Cerulean; 14-11-2005 at 12:53.
Cerulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2005 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #3
hannahma 
Citizen

disappointing New Star Tarot

I ordered this from the authors after waiting six months for Amazon to find me one. Finally Amazon told me it was unavailable. The authors sent it within a week.
I thought it would be dreamily beautiful, from the art on the website, but alas, it's what the Aeclectic reviewers would tactfully call "very average". My disappointment will probably make it not a usable deck for me. I might sell it on Ebay...

I'll try to post scans of the entire deck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newstar1.JPG (112.7 KB, 103 views)
hannahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #4
hannahma 
Citizen

more scans

ain't that a neat Death?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newstar004.jpg (58.4 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg newstar005.jpg (58.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg newstar006.jpg (55.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg newstar007.jpg (52.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg newstar008.jpg (59.1 KB, 61 views)
Old 20-03-2006 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #5
hannahma 
Citizen

the enticingWorld pic

the pic that induced me to buy the deck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newstar009.jpg (57.2 KB, 91 views)
Old 20-03-2006 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #6
hannahma 
Citizen

more scans

the wands, some swords. Get a load of those snake-people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newstar010.jpg (51.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg newstar011.jpg (50.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg newstar012.jpg (52.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg newstar013.jpg (51.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg newstar014.jpg (50.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 20-03-2006 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #7
hannahma 
Citizen

more scans

swords and discs, a mite out of order.
A very cool ace of discs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newstar015.jpg (55.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg newstar016.jpg (52.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg newstar017.jpg (57.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg newstar018.jpg (50.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg newstar019.jpg (49.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 20-03-2006 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #8
hannahma 
Citizen

two more scans

hmm.... don't seem to have any cups! Must have left them at the office.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newstar021.jpg (50.4 KB, 43 views)
Old 20-03-2006 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #9
Sulis 
believer in magic

Moderator note

Hannahma,

I think we'd rather you didn't post scans of the whole deck - you may be in breach of copyright.... At the very least to post the whole deck, I think it would be good ettiquette to ask permission of the deck author to publish the images.

Sulis - co-moderator - Tarot Decks

'I'll leave my mind beneath the mat so you can let yourself in, if you can stand the mess then stay but I'm not entertaining' Peace Repackaged - Lionrock

'Be excellent to each other'
Sulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006 Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #10
  post a reply

Latest Threads in Tarot Decks

Latest Threads in Talking Tarot

Latest Threads in Using Tarot Cards

Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade your account to subscriber today