The One Card You Check...

Imagemaker

I remember spindles quite well (didn't remember the name), and I even remember seeing this avatar and when Lawguy used to post more often :)

Glad you're back!

Back to thread topic: I don't pick any particular card as a make or break image, but I have avoided multiple decks because I didn't care for the image on the box, then found out later I liked every card but that one!

Deck makers really need to show their cards in the stores. When I bought my first non-RWS deck in London, at Mysteries, they had a notebook of plastic pages with several cards from all their decks. It made all the difference in pulling me in to more decks (got the Osho Zen there).

I now, of course, always check on the web, but when you hit a store and see something new (and in a place you might not be able to return to), a few cards out would help sales.

gregory

Imagemaker said:
Deck makers really need to show their cards in the stores. When I bought my first non-RWS deck in London, at Mysteries, they had a notebook of plastic pages with several cards from all their decks. It made all the difference in pulling me in to more decks (got the Osho Zen there).
Isn't Mysteries GREAT ???? I spend hours there every time I'm in London. There's a store in Toronto that does that, too - it used to anyway... The Occult Shop. And if you are EVER in France, Somerville always has an open deck to look through.

LadyMedusa

The Moon, Devil, Strength, Judgement and Star all have to pass. Then I go to the Q of S. If she looks like she has a case of "poor pitiful me"... I probabally won't use the deck much. She needs to have a backbone.

LadyMedusa

I am one of the people who recognized "the thingy" and knew what it was used for :)

O_O

Sulis said:
I usually look at The Empress (which is my soul card)

The Empress is my soul card too, although I don't know why, I feel no connection to that card at all . *shrugs*

I've always been drawn to The High Priestess. I just started buying decks, and I alway check that card first.

Then,the Moon, if neither of these look 'right', I pass.

Little Baron

gregory said:
Isn't Mysteries GREAT ????

Yes! I bought my very first tarot's there - very helpful staff and lots to keep you busy for a long browsing session.

LB

TarotGirlJess

Swords

I always check the suit of Swords. In my first deck ever i just couldn't connect with the swords. there was nothing positive about them (to me). I used to read the posts here where people would talk about how sad the queen was, and I just couldn't 'see' it. To me the queen of swords was a nasty troublmaking, diecietful smart lady. Then i Found the fey tarot and low and behold i connected with the queen. in fact i connected to the whole deck. So for me i check the suit of swords.
TGJ

noby

I find the Tower through World/Universe sequence very important, and especially focus on the Star.

WooMonkey

I like to check the 5 of pentacles & cups, and the 9 & 10 of swords, to make sure that they're not too "soft". Then I move on to see if I like the Queens and Kings. Clean shaven kings are a big plus--too many decks seem to have strong stunning queens, and rather geriatric kings!

:) Woo!

P.S. The spindle adaptors from MY youth, were much simpler things--a round disc of plastic with the small hole in the middle. Of course, advanced technology always took a long time to get to Hawaii...
:)

Little Baron

WooMonkey said:
Clean shaven kings are a big plus--too many decks seem to have strong stunning queens, and rather geriatric kings!

I had to laugh when I read this. I understand what you mean. I know it sounds really silly, but I am always disappointed if my 'Knight of Cups' is not blonde. I hadn't thought about this until recently. I looked at the card in the Sacred Circle and because he was dark and bearded, it didn't feel right for me. I think that that would be enough for me to resist a deck. I have a mental picture of how I expect him and can work with him and the beared guy just doesn't fit.

LB

Scion

Fascinating thread...

I've never thought about it consciously until now! Hmmm.

I go immediately to the Knight of Wands (cause he turns up for me in so many spreads, so I guess I'm checking out where I stand in the world of the deck)...
Then the Magician to gauge his mojo and to the Moon to make sure it's beautiful and dangerous and uncanny enough...
Often the Two of Cups and Ten of Swords to see if they give me a juicy. non-cliched vibe...

And if ever I'm on the fence with a deck the Aces decide it for me; they're so pure it lets me know exactly what the creator's imaginative palette is going to be.

(n.b. for Thoth-based decks I think the Princess of Disks is supercritical, for various Thelemic reasons.)