The Guilded Tarot / Beginner?

Samadhi

I'm just now becoming interested in Tarot and was wondering if The Guilded Tarot would be an OK deck to start with ... from what I can tell - it has a lot of the traditional symbology in it. I'm just not that crazy about the Rider-Waite cards and am drawn to this one.

Thanks,
Brooke

TarotGirlJess

Hubby got this deck. he's a beginer. he saw it and KNEW it was the one for him. It is very accurate for him and he loves it. he is a beginer and as i said he has no problems reading it at all.
TGJ

ben bailey

a little advise from someone new too

if you fell conected to the cards then buy them they are perfect for you..i recently bought a deck by going to the book store for some reading matterial i felt really drawn to the cards and it has proven to be the best deck for me and i am very new to the world of tarot....i bought The Celtic Tarot

blessings to all

ben

Genna

If you feel drawn too it...go ahead.If you want more symbology later,you can always get the Hanson-Roberts´.

earth mama

I'm new as well. I have the Gilded Deck and I love it. I actually find it easier to read with than the Rider-Waite probably because it's more visually appealling to me.

leftovercrizack

The first deck that I ever used was the Enchanted Deck and it is still my favorite today. Choosing the right deck depends on the person Youll know it when you find the right deck for you.

Emily

I too like the Gilded and think it would make an ideal beginners deck. It follows basic RWS symbolism but you also have the Gilded book.

If its a deck that is drawing you in, then you should be fine with it. You can also check out all the cards from this deck from Ciro's website :)

Little Baron

If it is one that you like then it is a good choice. You need to feel comfortable with it and you don't want learning to be a chore - you want it to be exciting and have a tool that you can relate to and extablish a connection. I have never been drawn to The Guilded (even though I respect the artist and his illustrative work immensely) but there are many, many people that have worked well with this deck and shared their experiences here. I'd say 'go for it'! There is plenty of time to try out other decks and traditions later on. Its good to have one you are fond of and that 'works' well as you begin your journey - you will be less likely to throw in the towel when study becomes difficult.

Best of luck,
LB

Samadhi

Thanks!

Thank you everyone who replied! What a great community ... I made that post last night and got to this morning to all of those wonderful replies ... thank you! Last week I purchased the Intuitive Tarot ( http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/intuitive-conway/ ) I really like the imagery on it, but I keep reading that learning on the traditional R-W style decks are a better way to go when first learning to read, and the Intuitive Tarot really doesn't look anything like the R-W style. I also was given the Tarot of Transformation deck [ http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tarot-of-transformation/ ] in which the artwork is just so wonderful - but again - have read this is not really a deck for beginners.

Namaste to you all,
Brooke

Little Baron

Firstly, I have seen the Intuitive Tarot in shops before, but until you posted that link, I never realised just how beautiful the images are. They are quite stunning.

Now ... I am going to go against the grain a little.

The RWS is a good deck for the beginner. But so are many others. Besides, tarot decks of many kinds existed many hundreds of years before the RWS, which is very modern, even if it is nearly a hundred years old. If you want to learn the RWS traidtion, then 'yes, that's a good place to start', but it is not the only tradition and to learn the tarot, I would recommend a deck that you feel comfortable with - and importantly, that you find attractive. Otherwise, you will tire of the deck and learning will become a chore. There is nothing to stop you getting a RWS or one of it's clones in years to come but for now, pick one you 'like' and stick with it while you get your head around the basics - chopping and changing decks hinders learning, I feel. If you want to combine your intuitive responses with traditional learnt meanings, then the 'Intuitive Tarot' may be just right for you. The colours looks lovely for meditation and readings. I never started with RWS, even tough I own some variations now, and I don't think it did me any harm.

The 'Tarot of Transformation' looks interesting but I notice that some cards have changes within the titles, that may be a little confusing as you begin your journey.

So in short, try out one you feel drawn to and don't worry about the 'what's right' and 'what's wrong' questions that may be going through your mind. There are no rules with tarot - just some good tips and different methods of working. It's what makes sense to you. We are all different and achieve satisfaction and results via different decks, paths and backgrounds. There are many people here to help if something is not making sense, which ever deck you decide on.

LB