magnifying crystal?

Cascade

I have a polished 'rock' about the size of my first thumb. It's clear crystal in the shape of a black-eyed-pea. But if I hold it right in the light, everything is magnified through it. Do I have a nice piece of polished magnifying glass, or is there a crystal that can do this? just curious, thanks.

Ffortiwn

Slightly off-topic, but I have to ask. Is it even theoretically possible to fashion spectacles from a material like this? I imagine it's all about the grinding process and how clear the material is; would crystal shatter more easily or something? As a wearer of glasses, I can imagine how cool it would feel to walk around with crystal specs.

Anyway, please proceed. :)

Cascade

Need one of those

Hi Emeraldgirl

Thanks for answering. The optical crystal isn't what this is, but I want one. I'll be looking.

I think this is just pretty polished glass I shall use for my own purposes. It is crystal clear to look through but portrays everything in a convex or concave way because of it's shape. Hold it up to the wall to look through and I can see everything on the bed, not upside down but from left to right. I sat it on my RWS and when the light hit it right I could see the blue lines enlarged like a spirograph. I don't even know how I got it.

Thanks for the link, too.