Spiral Tarot Fours

tarobones

Spiral Fours

Four of Swords
The woman wrapped in poppies certainly speaks about deep sleep. Our book speaks of it being symbolic of the unconscious too. Withdrawal can lead to healing and regaining strength. The RWS image of the resting Knight seems more deathlike to me. This one speaks about “deep rest” but I am uneasy about poppies. In our addicted culture, perhaps another symbol would have conveyed the same thing. Anyway, I found myself thinking a lot about the wonderful feeling of wrapping myself in a warm blanket and just resting. That’s the basic image, I think, of the card.

Four of Wands
Our married couple leaving family and home to forge a new future. A stable future together. I like this card in both RWS and Spiral versions. It’s forward looking and happy and free.

Four of Cups
Pretty much the traditional RWS image again, although this time it’s a woman. Both RWS and Spiral have a sad feeling to it, almost certainly bored or apathetic. When I see this card I react negatively. I want to move off my own complacency and not be stuck like that woman in the picture. So in a weird way, it prompts me to take control, take the 4th cup that is offered, and do something.

Four of Pentacles
This guy certainly seems solidly enthroned there, but looks like he’s in jail. And pretty immobile. Look at his fist! Money on his mind, money covering his heart, money ruling every step he takes. Yikes! He seems to be unhappy, at least that fist shows frustration, but he hasn’t taken any action. Very stuck. Very graphic image, which I find disturbing.

BB,
Michael

wizzle

4 of Swords

I too like this version of the 4 of swords better than RWS, although I now appreciate that the RWS symbolism conveys the ritual nature of the withdrawl as it was pinted out that knights used to pray prior to investiture as shown in that card http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=11180&highlight=swords

But I vastly prefer the voluntary withdrawl of this card. Perhaps the poppies are there to convey the thought that the withdrawl or rest can come in various ways or are a reminder of the god Morpheus. Morpehus was god of dreams, son of Hypnos, god of sleep. I agree that there is a very warm, healing feeling to this image.

4 of Wands

The married couple under the bower made by the 4 wands better conveys the idea of stablity imo. However, I have some concern that this image will be read too literaly. There is, after all, more to stabalizing action (fire) than getting married. But the ceremonial nature of stabalizing fire is interesting to think about and brought out well in this image.

4 of cups

The 4 of cups tends to elude me in readings. Certainly the quiet and solitary nature of the 4 of cups is well isllustrated and I like that the offered cup is much larger than the others. If gives me the idea that the cup in the air is more important to the querant than those which are real. I'm struck too by the blue dress the woman is wearing. Is she having a fit of the blues? It feels that way to me.

4 of pentacles

I was struck first, in looking at this card, by the black and white floor which is like the floor in the Emperor card. This gent also sees things in black and white, but things of the material world. I somehow don't think he's the sort of guy who is into tarot. The figure is very stiff and tense when compared to the Emperor. He is in command of material resources but it's taking a toll or is based on a good deal of effort. I do find this card less miserly in feel than the RWS image. This version seems more about control and what it does to the querant. One very positive idea I get from this card is that of honesty in material or monetary affairs. This comes both from the gentleman himself and from the black and white floor. Shades of grey are probably not what is wanted when dealing with money or other resources.

TheLovers2

Fours

Four of Cups:

This is one of my favorite cards in this deck. There were certain cards that drew me to the deck and this was one of them. I find it to convey very dissimilar feelings than the RWS. I get a type of dissatisfaction, true, but, more of a daydreaming (about that Cup!) that's being offered and preferring it over what's in front of her. In the RWS, I find that the boy isn't aware of his other choice (the Cup being offered) - not so, in the Spiral version. She longs for what that Cups represents. It feels like she is thinking of her "beloved," the One she really wants vs. the other 3 (cups) suitors. They don't inspire her, get her going, float her boat, blow her blue skirt up or blow the blues away, like the other one. ;)

I also see her refusing food and drink (3 cups) as she has no appetite. She's in love!

Daydreaming for something or someone better - visualizing it. Perhaps, he will visit her in this garden, today. I hear a deep sigh. Maybe she will lie down a bit and close her eyes to further enhance her dreaming, shut everything out but that One Cup! Truly romantic. I suppose she could be daydreaming about her "dream job" but, that's not what I get from her surroundings. :)

Four of Swords:

Another card that was a deciding factor in me getting this beautiful deck.

Totally different feel from the RWS. I much prefer this one. True rest, much needed rest or rest "just because." :) She looks so cozy lying there wrapped in her blanket next to the window. I wonder if it's fall or early spring. It must be at least late evening or night and somewhat cool because she has the throw over her and is wearing long sleeves. Still, is there a breeze coming through an open window? Although, there is no book in sight, I wonder if perhaps, she has just put aside a favorite novel, blown out her candle and decided to nap. If not reading, I wonder what she was doing before she decided to lie down.

I get the most restful, peaceful feeling when I look at this card. The sleep she sleeps, however, long or short is a good one. :)

Four of Pentacles:

I feel sorry for him. Not that I don't realize the value of money, but, money alone will not bring happiness, joy, true satisfaction, peace. It is necessary, however, and the more you have the more conveniences and luxuries you may afford yourself and others. I don't get that he wouldn't share his wealth or what he has with his family (if he has one) but, I do get that, and it seems obvious, he has money on his mind, in his soul, spirit (what spirit?) therefore, money is where his heart is, and the treasures he's laying up for himself are those that money can buy. He's missing out on so much more; probably sees his children and wife through peripheral vision. Money "orders his steps," unfortunately. Even though he may be a husband and father, I wouldn't want to be married to him. He would undoubtedly be a workaholic, always putting business before his family.

He doesn't share his feelings freely and is all "bottled-up inside." He is also a perfectionist, notice the very stiff way he sits and that razor-sharp crease in his pants. The clenched fist is what you'll get if you try to come between him and his money! :D Yes, he does see in black and white - focus on money will do that to you vs. the array of colors to be seen and had through love. He is in a kind of prison - yes - of his own making. A bit of light is coming in through that tiny window and there are flowers blooming there and somewhere in his life, someone is trying to get through to him, to "stop and smell the roses" and "let some of the light of life" enter before he finds himself truly alone.

If he is single and without family, he has a choice to come out of his tunnel-vision and isolated existence. He could hardly be comfortable sitting on a "brick throne." ;)

Four of Wands:

This card to me is more nebulous and is the type of card that for me will probably be led more by the question asked at the time. However, I get a feeling of "at last love has come along," for the the man and the woman pictured. She is looking at him and he is looking ahead. He will lead and she will gladly follow. Of course, due to the style of clothing and the period suggested, it fits. But, regardless of that, her focus is on him. He represents a kind of security, perhaps, in love and also monetarily; but, then again, she may be the one with the money who is providing a kind of foundation of sorts for their future together. If so, then she feels it is worth it because it would not mean much without sharing it with the man she loves. Ya' never know. I hope they will be very happy together and I think that they will. They fit well together and know the value of what they have and the value of compromise. :)

TL2 :TLOVE