Purifying a used deck?

Gracey

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking of purchasing a used tarot deck. Is that a bad idea? I think that they can be purified or bathed in the moonlight or something.

What do you think?

Thank you.

Blessings,
Gracey :)

Sophie

You can do what you like with it, although I'd think twice about the moonlight unless you put it in plastic - heavy dew at this time of year.

I hardly think you need to do anything you wouldn't do with a new deck, unless you enjoy the ritual for its own sake. See what state the cards are in when they arrive: you might need to clean them (if they are sticky).

Sulis

I find that shuffling works the best.

Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle.

And if you get a used deck that smells a bit wiffy, waft some incense over it.

If you were going to leave it in the moonlight, I think you should leave it on a window ledge on the inside - that's what I do with crystals when charging them.
I wouldn't want to leave a deck outside.

Love

Sulis xx

Ilithiya

I don't usually do anything special, but if the deck feels a little "off" then I'll put it in order, tap it sharply on the table a few times, and sit it on top of my selenite slab for a little while.

Illy

Gracey

Hello,

Thank you!! Those are great ideas!! I can do that.

Well, the moonlight idea came from the way Crystals and stones are cleansed. I would have kept them on the window sill inside the house, if I tried that method.

I just wondered because used decks can be cheaper and that way I can try some other cool decks.

Have a great day,
Gracey

Statickitten

I always put mine out in the moonlight. Except if there is rain in the forecast I slip them in a ziplock bag.

-Static

okieinalaska

I just bought my second deck in 17 years and it was a used moon garden. To say it felt a little strange would be an understatement. ; ) (Mostly I think because I was sooo used to my old deck)

Someone posted here that they take the cards and match them up deck to deck and let them sit a little. The new deck absorbing the old deck...I did that and shuffled a lot too.

For now I keep them in the same pouch and slept with them under my pillow. (first time doing that, I had tarot dreams all night LOL)

Do whatever you need to do to make it feel like yours. : )
Amy

full deck

Helvetica and Sullis have excellent advice. Just handle and shuffle the deck. If one has their own personal "energy", then why not use it in the most direct manner possible?

Anything else is really is superstition, i.e., moonlight, lucky rabbit's foot, uncle Festus' socks, etc. I have failed to find a single person yet who can justify such in a manner that does not leave me thinking that they are prone to superstition.

Ilithiya

*nods to full deck* The reason why I rap mine on the table is because it "feels" like the molecules get knocked back into place, kind of like tapping a container of sugar to settle it. :D

In the end, it is superstition, I suppose, but if it's valid for at least one person, it's valid, period. A ton of bricks weighs the same as a ton of feathers! :)

Illy

tarotbear

Before you just blatantly cleanse the deck, why don't you handle it and use it a couple of times first? You may find you like it's energies, so rather than wipe them away, why not enhance them?