Buckland Romani - Reversals

sharpchick

In Buckland's companion book for the deck, he says he doesn't think in terms of upright and reversed cards, because his interpretations of the cards contain all elements necessary for the reader. I know that my own intuitive interpretation of some of the cards doesn't seem to jive with the "traditional" interpretations he gives before giving his own. (Example, 2 of Chivs.) So I have not been using reversed interpretations of the cards in this deck.

What about you? Do you read reversals with this deck? Or just rely on your intuition given a card's position in the spread?

EminemsAngelBaby

Hi Sharpchick,

I read the deck with reversals. For me it's a matter of what my eye is drawn to in the card. That stokes my intution with the reversal and it's interp within the spread. EAB

Emeraldgirl

I read reversals with any reading I do so I use this deck with reversals as something I would naturally do.

Disa

I generally do read with reversals so I suppose I will with this deck, as well. I haven't worked with this deck or read more than the first 2 pages of the book yet, so, my methods are subject to change :)

Cerulean

I've noticed something curious...about how I read with this deck

Sometimes the design of the card is so open-ended, when I read for a few people using the Buckland Romani... a card design like the Three of Swords with the knives in the target shaped like a heart in a standing wagon might clearly say there's a challenge and stillness about the scene... and yet the the open door with a milk or water jug on one side and an dark interior on the other side makes a rather open-ended suggestion to me. It wasn't until I looked at the card in a context of a layout and had a suggestion of a reading theme that I pulled thoughts of both heartbreak and opportunity.

If I had thought of this just as a reversed three of swords, I think I would have felt a more limited meaning...sometimes I don't like using reversals because I feel there's a restriction or perhaps a bleakness in a reversal. Perhaps its just the design of the cards that I am liking--I don't want them upside down!

So I have not read reversals with this deck nor the Alchemical...I may be wrong, but I thought in both instances, the authors of the text that goes with these decks might not read with reversals...

Best wishes,

Cerulean

Best wishes,