hi and help

sarah4

hi everyone,i hope someone could have the time to talk to me and give me some advice. a few years ago iw as given the royal tariot deck and a book thorsons way of tariot by evelyne herbin and terry donaldson. i cannot seem to connect to the cards. when i looked on this site it actually states that this deck has little meaning. anyway,there are so many decks to choose from is it ok to get more than one? also whats with the double sided cards and other styles like that doesnt that defeat the object? i can make my mind up on the cards but it is the style i cant like shall i get double sided ect.. im sorry if i dont sound clear. thanks in advance.

cricket

Hi Sarah, and welcome!

By all means, get more than one deck. Get two or three... dozen }) Goodness knows I've got that many, as do quite a few others here.

As for the whole object and styles, it all depends on you. If you connect to double-sided decks, more power to you! Get those ones. If you connect to Marseilles type decks (with pips and not pictures) get them. It all depends on you personally. Your personal preferences, style, even attitude of the moment. Just take your time to choose one that you think you could work with and go from there.

sarah4

cricket said:
Hi Sarah, and welcome!

By all means, get more than one deck. Get two or three... dozen }) Goodness knows I've got that many, as do quite a few others here.

As for the whole object and styles, it all depends on you. If you connect to double-sided decks, more power to you! Get those ones. If you connect to Marseilles type decks (with pips and not pictures) get them. It all depends on you personally. Your personal preferences, style, even attitude of the moment. Just take your time to choose one that you think you could work with and go from there.
oh bless you cricket and thank you.x

gregory

Ahem. If you start to feel guilty - have a look at my profile ( :|) I am unashamed.... (except for what it does to my bank balance !)

Ankou

If you haven't done so yet, take a look through the AT deck catalouge. Just punch around the titles that seem interesting and browse a bit. Can't hurt to window shop, right? }) Then when you hit 25 posts, check out the tarot trading forum. Be careful though.... it's addictive!

You can also start a thread asking about a specific deck your considering, before you buy, just to get a feel for how others liked it.

Happy Hunting!!!

Love and Light,

Ankou

sarah4

wow thank you both for your help and tips too. sorry gregory i dont like looking at peoples profiles but since you asked...wow i must say a stunning collection indeed! so do you use them?

gregory

sarah4 said:
wow thank you both for your help and tips too. sorry gregory i dont like looking at peoples profiles but since you asked...wow i must say a stunning collection indeed! so do you use them?
No - for a number of reasons, I don't read yet.
But why not look at people's profiles ? that's what they are there for ! :D (no obligation of course, if you actually don't want to, but don't be shy....!)

Lillie

Hi

The Royal tarot is not a very nice deck.
I have it. Sort of accidentally!
But I never use it. I don't like it much.

But I have a number of other decks.
It's fine to have as many as you want.
You can have different decks for different purposes or different moods.

A lot of people like cards with pictures on the minor cards. These help with interpretation, especially at first, when you are trying to remember all the meanings.

I decided what to put in my profile with the thought that other people would look at it.
People are meant to look at the profiles. It's what they are there for.
It helps us all to get to know each other.

Sulis

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to Aeclectic.

If you're looking for a deck to learn with and you'd also like a book to go with it I'd suggest you look at the decks that are based on the Rider-Waite deck.
The Rider-Waite deck has pictures on the numbered cards (I don't think the Royal Tarot does) and most tarot books you'll find are either based on that deck or on decks that are like it.

Here are a few examples for you to look at:

The Morgan Greer Tarot - a 'Rider-Waite clone' - the images have been redrawn in a different artistic style but the symbolism and meanings remain very close to the Rider-Waite deck.
The Robin Wood Tarot - not one of my favorites but many people love this deck - it has a more pagan slant but remains close to the Rider-Waite.
The Hudes Tarot
The Hanson Roberts Tarot
Or you may like a recolouring of the Rider-Waite:
Universal Waite
radiant Rider-Waite

Hope that helps

Love

Sulis xx

sarah4

hi everyone well i have been on a spree lol. i have bought on ebay the original rider white tarot deck,a satin purse and a book 78 degrees of wisdom by rachel pollack all in one auction so i got that. i also bought tarot of the witches. on a online shop I LOVE egypt,i feel connect to it somehow so i treated myself to nefertari's tarot and egyptian tarot they are simply beautiful. not a bad start to my collection. thanks everyone.x