Traveling AT Member Deck ~ Journal ~

Ravenswing

in a holding pattern...

TGIFriday the 21st of October 8:51PM EST

Hi all--

I just got word that the deck is winging its way to me. By my estimation, it'll touchdown Monday. Tonight, I'm going to prepare a space for it on my altar. No cleansing for it, though-- I want to make sure everybody's energies tag along with this one.

The fun starts soon....

fly well
Raven

Ravenswing

touchdown...

Well, here we are at Thursday the 27th.

Lo and behold, when I got home from work a wonderful package awaited me. Yes, it hadn't gotten lost as some feared...

The picture on the card from bleuivy was a wintery scene-- all in cool colors-- "to usher the deck into a new, colder season..." This morning was the first cold, see your foggy breath and bits of frosting type of day. New colder season alright.

The deck is in its box in a great bag-- more like a small pocketbook. It's silky red with flowering branches and chinese characters all in gold. It's about five inches by five inches, black pull-string with black beads. But the really neat thing is the handle; that's what makes it a pocketbook to me...

I'm going to spend a bit of time with it tonight. First, I'm going to pull out the signed cards and check them out, see what they might say. From there... I'm not certain. But I'll let y'all know.

Oh yes. I have a spot for it on my altar-- I'll introduce them to each other after I'm done whatever I do tonight. And I have a quartz crystal cut into a pyramid that I'm going to rest a-top the deck... That's for nights (although I may decide to sleep with it in my pillow case...)

This traveling deck'll be traveling with me. I have a bunch of cargo pants with too many pockets... The deck'll fit nicely in it's pouch in a pocket.

I guess that's about all for now. I'll let you know how the night went and all other kinds of good stuff.

This is going to be a great learning experience I'm sure.

fly well
Raven

Ravenswing

first impressions

from my journaling 10/27 10PM

I pull the box out of its bag and set it down on the bed in front of me. I'm here lounging in my music room-- all of my instruments about, scattered here and there, the major collection on a large set of shelves by the window. This is a place of contemplation for me. A quiet place.

I open the box and take out the deck. One corner of the box is torn, so before I go any further, I tape it back together. I think to re-inforce the other corners, but don't. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

I go through the deck, face down, leaving them in the order they came in, and not turning them over.

First one... I come to the card signed by MeeWah. Next is Bleuivy's, then RachelCat's and Rhiannon's. After a quick re-run through the deck, I discover that Jeanette has signed one of the two title cards which (I presume) has a card image on the other side. She has made her choice without affecting the deck proper... I smile at that.

I lay them down in a row in the order I found them and put the rest of the deck in its box. They are still in the order that I recieved them, waiting to be explored. That will come later.

I now have four cards and a title card in a row.

Five cards. But not simply cards-- they are the proof and wittnesses that this deck has been handled, shuffled, dealt out by five people with whom I have interacted with by the miricle of AT. So now before me I have something that is to me much more tangible than our internet crossings and meetings.

Five cards. Chosen as THE card by five of my friends. Each of them signed-- a way of saying "This one is mine."

Five cards. Four Hourglasses and a fifth that proclaims "The World Spirit Tarot". As I look at them, they transform. Suddenly they become the four elements and spirit...

air: the east and MeeWah

fire: the south and Bleuivy

water: the west and RachelCat

Earth: the north and Rhiannon

Spirit: the center and Jeanette.

I shift the cards from a row into a sacred circle.

Let me describe the card backs-- since it all I know of the deck at the moment... There are two background sections: the sun section and the moon and stars section. They are separated by a "line" running from right top to bottom left. Upper left corner is a quarter sun on a blue background; lower right is the cresent moon upon a dark star-studded background. And taking up most of the center is the hourglass. and all this bordered in black...

MeeWah has signed her card on the lower portion of the border-- silver ink glittering against the black. It is as if she doesn't wish to disturb the card...

Bleuivy signs in the upper part of the hourglass in clear clean letters, a blue fine tipped marker.

RachelCat signs in the lower portion of the hourglass, running parallel to the left-hand incline of the pile of sands. Her pen skips a bit...

Rhiannon signs across the top half of the hourglass. Everyone else has signed their name, place and the date. Rhiannon's locale is a mystery...

Jeanette signs in the same manner as MeeWah. She disturbs neither the title card nor the deck...

I look at the configuration. Four Hourglasses surrounding the World Spirit.

I feel a sense of completion. A belonging. Merry Meet, my friends. The circle is complete...

I look once again at the circle of cards and wonder what their message might be when I turn up their images and let them speak...

fly well
Raven

Ravenswing

shuffle, shuffle...

Friday 10/28 9:15PM EST

I put the deck back together last night without looking at their images. Rather than placing it on my altar, I decided to slip it into my pillowcase. I woke four or five times during the night (which is EXTREMELY unusual), but there was no tanigible recall...

This morning, I spent the entire bus ride to work (about twenty minutes) shuffling, shuffling, shuffling. The cards glide well and rarely stick. They even have a faint trace of new deck smell lingering on them.

As of yet, I haven't looked at any of the card faces. For some reason, I haven't flipped any of them over. It's not a lack of curiousity-- the box is enough of a teaser to make me want to look. It's almost as if I need to know them sight unseen....

Perhaps I'll see them tomorrow...

or later tonight.

fly well
Raven

Ravenswing

more to come...

I haven't had much time to get to my computer as of late. Much is going on in the rest of my life that keeps me busy. But, I have been using the cards daily-- and keeping a journal...

I'm hoping to get everything up over this coming weekend.

fly well
Raven

bleuivy

Bleuivy's journal entry! Finally!

Hi, everyone! Here are my journal entries at last. I've been trying to post this forever. I wrote these entries so long ago that reading them feels like reading something by someone else. Interesting.

Enjoy!

Saturday October 15 2005

I just received the AT travelling deck. I feel so privileged to be one of the first to hold and use this deck as it embarks on its travels around the world. Rachelcat packed the deck in a lovely red tarot bag and included a very cute Halloween card. I hope that everyone has the opportunity to open such a lovely package when they receive this deck.

The deck itself still feels new, though I know it has already passed through a few pairs of hands before it reached mine. I wonder how loved and tattered it will feel when it has reached the end of journeys.

I haven't had the opportunity to use the World Spirit deck before, so this is an entirely new experience for me. After leafing through the deck a few times, I already know I love it. Usually in a deck, there are a few cards I just don't like. This deck has so many gems it really has me captivated. I already have a few favourite cards. I love colours of the Moon, Temperance, the 4 of Wands and the 8 of Cups. The Tower card is one of my favourite Tower cards yet. The two's are also gorgeous - I especially like the 2 of Swords, and I really like the Hanged Man and Death. The quirky people on the 9 of Wands and the 2 of Pentacles are so cute!

I shuffled a bit and did a reading to see what I could learn from the deck while it was visiting me. I drew the 5 of Wands, the Moon, and the 7 of Wands. I wasn't too happy to see the 5 of Wands and the 7 of Wands, but the Moon in between those two cards really made me think. Perhaps this deck is to be my refuge from the more turbulent parts of my life right now.

Sunday October 16 2005

Daily Reading:
The Empress, Sibyl of Cups, The Emperor
Base card: Sibyl of Swords

So, the Empress, the Emperor, and 2 Sybils. It feels to me that there is a challenge in the Empress' level stare. In this deck, she talks very vividly about creation, productivity, but also contentment. I feel very strongly that my challenge today will be creating something and watching it grow. The Emperor seems to be pointing the way to what I must do for today: the Empress and the Sybil of Cups, both strong female images (who are almost in the same pose). I feel that a strong female person will be a very strong influence in my life today. Perhaps my mother? I can think of no other strong woman that might come into my life today; unless I am to be a strong female influence in someone else's life. The base card is the Sibyl of Swords. This to me backs up the other cards. Ugh. Sometimes I wish the cards would be a little more specific!

Journal Entry:

Well, today the deck and I didn't do anything terribly exciting. I have a habit of shuffling a deck while I'm watching TV. I shuffle through, and pull a card every once in a while just to see what comes up, and the feeling it gives me. Today, I did this while my father and I watched the Angels vs. the White Sox play for the American League Championship. We watched in companionable silence; neither of us were particularly rooting for either team, though it would be fun if the White Sox won, just because they haven’t in so very long. Most, we just chatted, which is something I haven't done with my father very much in months. I tried to explain Cricket to him, seeing as I had watched a bit of it while I was in England. I failed miserably, though because I doubt I'll ever really understand Cricket. :p As the baseball game dragged on into its later innings, I shuffled the deck and pulled a card when the mood struck me. Over the course of the later innings, I pulled: the Fool, the Tower, the Hierophant (twice), and the Moon. Four majors. Huh.

My father asked me to explain tarot, and I tried, but I don’t think I managed it very well. He is a sceptic of the highest order, but he’s interested in what I am interested in. I offered to do a reading for him when the baseball game was done, but he politely turned my offer down. "I’m wary of that sort of thing," he explained. We’ve come to terms with each other’s oddities. He’s fine with me being "strange" and I’m fine with him being sceptical. :)

I put the deck away just as the game was ending.

The White Sox won. Cool.

Monday October 17 2005

Daily Reading:
The Wheel of Fortune, Temperance, The Hierophant
Base Card: 3 of Cups

I don't pull the Wheel of Fortune very often, and I don't quite know how to read it. Perhaps I will need to deal with things that I have no control over, accept things as they come. Temperance and the Hierophant suggest that I will have to temper my reactions today, and perhaps be more contentious than usual. The combination of Temperance and the Hierophant suggests to me that the day will have a lot to do with logistics and time management, and marshalling my resources where they need to be. The 3 of Cups as a base card may indicate that I may need to mediate between people today, or in some way deal with a group of people.

Journal Entry:

I've been a bit of a homebody lately because I've been working on finishing my MSc dissertation, so today I decided to go for a walk to get out of the house a bit. My neighbourhood is quite lovely. It has tree-lined streets, with red brick houses. I grew up in this neighbourhood, but haven't really seen it in over a year because I've been living in England. So today I decided to take the World Spirit out for a walk. I slipped the deck into my purse and headed out.

The weather wasn't the most beautiful, but the trees looked so green that it made up for the weather.

I walked past many houses where childhood friends used to live. Very few people who used to live in these houses still do. There used to be a group of twenty of us that would meet in any weather at any time of year with our bicycles and ride to a nearby park. It struck me as I walked by all their houses that are now occupied by other people that an entire generation of people from this neighbourhood has headed out into the world. I wonder where all of them are.

I didn't expect my walk to be so long, but after passing so many houses, I ended up at the small park my friends and I used to ride to. It's sandwiched between two residential roads, but it was big enough for us to play soccer in, or ride our bikes in crazy figure-8s. I don't even think it was supposed to be a park, so much as it is an area that isn't big enough to build houses on, so it's been left alone.

I'm sort of surprised I didn't glorify it in my memory and change it into some idealized place. But no, the park looks exactly the same as I remember it. There are the same trees and rocks grown over with moss. There is even the old stream bed that only has water after heavy rainfalls. I didn't remember that stream bed was there, but now that I see it, I remember.

I explore the park for a while, and remember the ridiculous things I did with my friends. We called the place our Bike Rodeo, because we used to ride our bikes here. We were all city kids, so I don't think we quite understood what a rodeo was, but the name stuck. I'm pleased to see some bicycle tire tracks in the mud near the curb. I wonder if another group of children have discovered this old place, or if these were just left by a commuter driving past.

It started getting dark, so I began walking home. The walk back seems to go more quickly. To be honest, I'd forgotten the tarot deck was in my bag. Once I got home, I took it out. I've been doing lots of two-card readings lately. I went to my house's screened-in porch and pulled two cards as I contemplated the walk I'd had, and rediscovering the Bike Rodeo. I pulled Temperance and the Moon. These cards are just so beautiful in this deck, and they really echo the sense of peace that followed me during my walk. I get a sense of things ending and becoming memories as I look at the moon card, and Temperance gives me a feeling that this is what must happen. Lovely.

Tuesday October 18th 2005

Daily Reading:
Sibyl of Cups, The Star, The Devil

The first two cards are so filled with water - The Sibyl of Cups looks like such an emotional card. She is at home in the water, her emotions. The Star is also a watery, emotional card. Both of these cards look calm and serene, even though there is so much going on in them. The Devil, meanwhile, feels like a such tense card. All that red on the devil card looks like a headache waiting to happen!

Journal Entry:

I have been teaching my 12-year-old brother, Matthew, how to read tarot cards. I gave him the Celtic Dragon tarot as a graduation present from Elementary School, and so far he hasn't been interested in any other deck because he's so enamoured with the Celtic Dragon. I knew he'd love the World Spirit, though. At summer camp, he spent an entire week learning how to make linoleum prints.

Our lessons have been pretty laid back, and I wonder if you can even call them lessons. He'll appear in my room with his deck whenever he wants to go over the cards with me, and I'll pull out a deck. We don't pull cards randomly. Matt decides what cards he wants to discuss, we'll pull them out of our decks, lay them out, and trade stories.

As I suspected, Matt loved the World Spirit. He was adamant that he wanted to do at least one tarot lesson with it before I sent the deck off into the world. Today, he decided he wanted to discuss the Magician and the Tower. It's quite interesting the stories Matt sees in the cards. He looked the cards from his deck, and then from the World Spirit for quite a while. To him, the Tower is an outgrowth of the Magician. The Magician, he said, wanted to do something exceptional, and the destruction of the Tower is the result. The destruction of the Tower wasn't what the Magician set out to do, but it happened anyway. After Matt explained how the Magician started working his magic, my brother pointed to the World Spirit's Tower card and said, quite simply: "The world changed."

It struck me as a pretty profound thing for a kid to say.

Thursday October 20 2005

Daily Reading:
Six of Swords, Three of Pentacles, The Emperor

Looking at these three cards, I see two choices I can make for today. I can be the woman in the six of swords asking for help on a project, or I can be the woman in the three of pentacles, showing her work off to others. I do not know which is the right course to take for today. The 6 of Swords looks to be the darker and more difficult choice, but the 3 of Pentacles may be the easy out. The Emperor is facing both cards as I've laid them out and is reaching towards them. Perhaps he is saying I can do both: ask for assistance and in so doing I'll learn that I already know more than I think I do.

Friday October 21 2005

Daily Reading:
6 of Wands, The Tower, The High Priestess

Both the 6 of Wands and the High Priestess have paths or roads with the central figure at the end of the long path. Though, while the 6 of Wands looks as though it is carried out in daylight, the High Priestess is at night, with that long, ominous shadow curling away from her. These two cards really make me think of a path, or road I am travelling. From the 6 of Wands, it looks as thought I am coming to the end of a long, difficult journey. The figure in the 6 of wands is running along a well-lit and clear path, and there are people cheering her on. The Tower separates this card from the High Priestess, who appears to have finished her journey, but appears to be very alone. The shadow stretching out over the journey travelled in the High Priestess makes me think that my perception of my journey will change when I reach the end.

Journal Entry:

Well, my time with this deck has come to an end. I've loved every minute I've had with it. I'll pack it up and send it on its way. As I look back over these journal entries, it's struck me that I pulled a ton of Major cards. I wonder if this reflects the intensity I felt with this deck.

The World Spirit is going on the list of decks I’d like to get to know in more detail. I definitely see it as a deep and versatile reading deck. I wish I had more time to work with it, but I have been a Hermit lately, working on finishing my dissertation.

I decided to sign the Moon. It spoke to me so clearly after my walk with the deck to the Bike Rodeo, and that is no small thing. The Moon and I have had a rocky relationship since I began learning tarot. The Moon in this deck helped me understand that card in a way I never have before.

Incidentally, my brother’s final verdict on this deck was: "Nice. Bright but dark. I can feel the cards." He didn't mean in a tactile way.

I'll look forward to reading more about the deck's travels. I feel privileged to have been a link in the chain.

Ravenswing

me again

I'm starting a bit backwards here...

I just set our traveling deck along its way. I can only get to the post office on Saturday mornings; I was tied up all last Saturday, so it's running a bit late.

For much of the time I had our World Spirit, it rested on my altar. I didn't cart it around with me. Instead, I always carried one of the extra title cards. One side saying "The World Spirit Tarot", the other side depicting the Magician.

The Magician is a card I initially identified with. Through high school and a few years of college, I wore a denim jacket with the RWS Magician painted on the back of it. I literally wore it out...

The deck sat upon its bag on the left side of my altar, top side to the north. Atop it I set a pyramid shaped quartz crystal. I sent the crystal along with the deck. Seemed fitting to me.

(I'm having a bit of internet problems... I keep on getting re-directed. So far I've returned to this note four times.)

I'll get back to everyone with the rest of the adventures of our traveling deck

fly well
Raven

squeakmo9

my turn...

I received the deck today at work at 10:30am.I wanted it shipped there because I thought it would make for a safer delivery, and it did. I'm fortunate to have such a nice man as my mailman who always likes to share a joke or some anecdote but when he brought out that package, I couldn't focus on what he was saying. I just kept nodding, maybe threw in an "aham", something about football, a sparrow, and dominos? Whatever, we both parted with big smiles on our faces.
I had a customer under the dryer, Tuesdays are so quiet in general, it was a good time for an introduction. This small, white package had a good weight to it and when I opened it...WOW!!
I think I said "WOW" about a dozen times. The little red, satin sack is adorable! There inside was the deck, a lovely note from Ravenswing (nice parchment design)and Raven's beautiful pyramid crystal. It is unfortunate that this beautiful crystal cannot travel with the deck as intended but there is a concern that others will follow suit, gradually increasing the weight and before you know it, you'll need a pallet to get it on the plane. I promise to take great care in returning it safely to Ravenswing.

I was in awe of the front box cover and just stared trying to figure out who the lady on the roof was, finally I opened it, my RWS Fool turned into a girl! This was great!
I held the deck gingerly, like it was going to break or something and wanted to go through each card slowly but I couldn't control the need to see more and more quickly. Each card so wonderous, sensuous, dark, ancient, mysterious, rich, on and on. I noticed the careful order that they were placed in by Ravenswing so I set them aside and finished the lady under the dryer.
Afterward I wrote down the order of the "court cards". I am not familiar with terms like "Sibyl" or "Seer" and with all due apologies, I have not been reading this journal only because I wanted little to no information regarding this deck that I have never seen before. I wanted to see it and experience it with clear eyes. I will, however, read the past entries after I send my friend along...and what a friend. So expressive in every way, holding nothing back. In Raven's note, I was informed that the deck was "talkative", I absolutely agree. I also concur with Ravenwing that it must be from the others who had used it, very right.

squeakmo9

getting to know you...

I asked: "World Spirit Tarot what is it you want me to know?"
I drew 3 cards in 3 piles of 12.

10 of Wands, 10 of cups(RX), 5 of Cups (RX)

I don't know whether this deck permits reversed interpretations but I like to read them as such.

It's interesting to see smiles, tears, fear, real human emotions that are so universal.

The 10 of Wands has a boy cowering into fetal position as, what looks like, a light load of branches are falling atop of him. I don't see fear in his eyes as much as a "here we go again" look. The white makes him look somewhat naive but the backround is hopeful. In the distance a violet horizon and to the extreme right, I noticed a stick-like figure. At first I thought it similar to the sign for Neptune, except there is a triangle crossing it at its shoulders and neck. I noticed this figure reappearing in most of the cards. Then I found it on the surface of the little red, satin sack the deck came in, so it must be of Asian or of Oriental origin. Please forgive my ignorance.
Anyway back to the 10 of wands... the house in the distance as well as the rising sun seem hopeful, if only this guy would get himself together.
The 10 of Cups appears similar to the 10 of Cups(RWS) that I am accustomed to. There is an obvious celebration with family and friends, something that was long hoped for has materialized. With the plenty of green hues, it is ripe with growth and harmony. I think it curious how two of the five figures are wearing what appears to be think gold cuffs. It looks to me as if they were enslaved in some way and are now celebrating their freedom. Perhaps a new beginning, a new phase in their lives. The child and dog are to the extreme left, denoting early instinctual life, past youth, the man wearing a striped shirt looks happy but ambivalent. The person in the center appears in black with an X or cross on it, there could be issues with negativity and maintaining balance. The woman to the extreme right, in a purple tunic speaks to me of the higher mind, the joy found in spirit. These three remind me of the 3 of cups, a celebration of the 3 phases of personal development.
The last card is the 5 of Cups where the sorrow and agony of loss is potently clear. She buckles at the knees as if she can stand the emotional torment no more. She is clothed in a green that is fogged with grey, just like the sky. Things appear muddled even with the bright sun in the sky. A dark animal, donkey-like appears in the distant past. Was she as stubborn as a mule? Did she not listen to her instincts or give in to them too much? A red ring on her left hand, giving hint to a compulsive, obsessive behavior. The latin for left is sinestra, I think, giving way to the word sinister, perhaps she was too aggressive in holding too tight to something that wasn't meant to be held on to. The right hand has a ring with a lavender hue to it. Whatever it was that was lost, she understands the affects of it as there are streaks of purple running through her dark hair.
With the 10 of Cups(RX) I know that it indicates a point of finding security and real peace of mind.
I think that both cards on either side of it make their own contribution to my character. I have always doubted my decision to do hair, it was something that I sort of fell into a few years ago. I have struggled for the past 4 years in trying to become a confident indivitual, thereby a confident professional. There have been several times when I have wavered. Like the boy in the 10 of Wands I did not think myself worthy of the given responsibility or worthy of whatever talents I do possess. Perhaps the load isn't as heavy as I had thought and that I may make things more difficult than they should be. I really do need to give myself a break and just keep learning and be more persistent. The 5 of Cups has also taught me a few things in letting go. Since it is reversed, I am able to see things objectively more than ever. I can sort through those things that caused great sorrow and disappointment, realize my contributing part in some of those scenerios and learn from them.
I read in another thread that you can add all three cards to get one, so if I am doing this right, Both 10s add up to 1 each making 2, then added in to 5, totally 7.
The Chariot. I always saw the Chariot as a wishy-washy type, kind of going nowhere in a real hurry. However, in this deck, he strikes me as someone who is very much in control and at rest. He almost has an affectionate look on his face as he looks at his animals. At this moment they are his beloved friends, pets, but in the heat of battle they are as important as ammunition or his spear in this case.
The steed appear as half zebra, half fish, there is a strange duality in his instincts. The warrior is still in the strong presence of the moon that rests over his head and on his chariot. He is somewhat mysterious with a waiting panther in the backround and a flying bird in the distance. This is the first time I have ever seen the warrior smile, allowing his spear to rest on his chest. I believe that I am more capable of many things then I currently am aware of. Just like my moon in Taurus, I need to trust my capabilities a little more.

squeakmo9

card of the day...

Today I drew the High Priestess(RX).
The card is most mysterious as is she. She is blue and nekkid under the clear light of the crescent moon. The sky looms across in a midnight blue, her arms stretched up, above her head, as if she had been busing herself doing yoga. Her hands are open to the sky as a knotted, makeshift cloak, really a blanket, swings with the clear breeze. The Priestess is perfectly still, looking at me, encircled by stones with an opening path where her shadow grows ever larger. Beyond the path, she stands between two trees. One is home to a fat, brown owl and the other to a couple of flourishing orange flowers.
When the card is upsidedown, it is then that you can make out a set of horns on her shadow and the stones appear to be a sea of crescent moons. The inverted stones now appear like an open mouth, the yellow path, a tongue, she is ready to speak if only I could listen closely.
The beginning of my day had me in conversation with a customer. I commented how unusually hot the weather was today, I think it must have been 67 degrees. Failing to check the weather channel before I left the house, I made the mistake of layering up. A coat on top of a sweater jacket, on top of a turtleneck, on top of a shirt...what am I 80? So to my surprise, when I exited the front door I removed everything except the turtleneck and regreted that until I got to the shop. So I brought up the safe topic of weather with this customer and then somehow it ended up being about enviromental responsibility. It seems 20 years ago a son of this woman had traveled out west to live with a Native American family for the summer. During his stay he met a man named SunBear. One evening this lady's son and SunBear began to talk about the Earth and he told her son that in the near future we would experience radical enviromental events, catastrophes of nature that would affect all of the country. All this because, we as humans had misused Earth's resources, taken more than given back. The boy returned home after the summer and told his mom what SunBear had said. She was, at the time, in complete disbelief and disregarded the message, nonsense. So when the topic of unusual weather came up, she remembered what her son had told her some 20 years ago. It caused me to think, I mean nowadays I hear it all the time, but am I doing enough? I think this was the heartfelt message of the High Priestess to me, to be more conscious with all that I have been given.