i tarocchi omaggio a Federico II

UniversalSeeker

If this thread already exist, I cannot find it. I just received my deck from Alida today and it blew me away. Does anyone else have this deck, I hope so, I would love to hear your comments.

UniversalSeeker

Adam McLean

Yes I love large decks like this, particularly with
detailed artwork, though I think if it were printed just
a little smaller this would have sharpened up the details
even more.
The imagery on the majors is quite spectacular and
creative. The Fool is perhaps a little comment on life
by the artist himself, who is seen painting the heavens.
A little scroll says

In the dawn of my life
I saw the sun radiantly shine.
Now, far and in tears
I see him in the sunset again

Rather a sad thought by the artist. But luckily the work
is not at all cynical but full of delightful imagery. The
Magician is beautiful as is the Moon.

I must confess I know nothing about Federico II and
must invest some time in trying to read through the
book which came with the deck.

It is an expensive deck, but you will not regret buying it.

Adam McLean

lunakasha

Adam McLean said:
I must confess I know nothing about Federico II and
must invest some time in trying to read through the
book which came with the deck.

It is an expensive deck, but you will not regret buying it.

Adam McLean

Hi Adam...

I have this one on order from tarotgarden and cannot wait to see it up close. Thanks for the commentary....I had forgotten about a book. Is it in English by any chance???

Thanks!

:) Luna

Adam McLean

The accompanying book is in Italian.

lunakasha

Adam McLean said:
The accompanying book is in Italian.

Ooooh crap....that must be the reason I had forgotten about it, LOL!

Oh well....it looks like it should be pretty easy to work with, even without the book. Can't wait to see it....I am trying to imagine how I will shuffle these monster cards! :eek:

Adam McLean

I can't imagine you being able to shuffle the deck !

I doubt it is useful for reading. Instead the imagery tells
a story of the court of Federico II (1194 - 1250). Federico had an interest in mathematics, astronomy, music, poetry, and philosophy. He welcomed Saracen (Muslim) travellers to his court in Palermo, and sought cultural exchanges. He apparently constructed many castles some of which seem to be depicted on the cards.

The moon card imagery reflects his learning and interest in astronomy and mathematics.

Adam McLean

lunakasha

LOL....true enough, it will probably work better as a study deck.
Since the book is in Italian, I may have to do some online research on Federico II (but thanks for getting me started!) The Moon is probably my favorite card in the deck, at least from what I have seen so far. And, readable or not, I simply could not resist the artwork in this deck. Even if all I ever do is stare at them, they will be a wonderful (and unique) addition to my collection!

Maybe we could even start a little study group on them, if there is enough interest???

Adam McLean

lunakasha said:
Maybe we could even start a little study group on them, if there is enough interest???

Why not. If there is sufficient interest I would certainly take part. I wonder how many people on the forum actually own this deck. I expect a rather small number.

Adam McLean

lunakasha

Adam McLean said:
Why not. If there is sufficient interest I would certainly take part. I wonder how many people on the forum actually own this deck. I expect a rather small number.

Adam McLean

I agree....this is the only thread I could find specifically for this deck, and haven't heard it discussed much. So it may end up a very small group....but that's OK with me! I will be getting my deck within the next 3-4 weeks, hopefully.