Astrology vs. Tarot, which's "better"?

ArcanoMáximo

Some ones say the Tarot comes from the Astrology.
Others say that don't.
I think than even when we can connect some aspects of Tarot with many more theories or doctrines they never can fit with it at all.

As Tarotist i prefer the Tarot cause for me is more immediate and direct, and i suppose that even if i could travel to another planet even so i might do my work there, but if i was only Astrologer i might not because of all the cosmic configurations changes around, so the Tarot is more transcendental or "Universal" to me.

Other stuff is also that I like more the work with images than with mathematical dates, and think that is better to the communication with the collective unconscious, even when interpreting the different combinations of a natal chart is possible to handle many "archetypical images" you don't have them in front of you when having to explain it to the querents.

I also have found always more accurate Tarot readings than natal or yearly charts.
In my experience it seems Astrology is more general and for to be more precise is necessary make a lot more of calculations and yet continue not being very useful.
People don't understand these concepts completely.

But some ones say that the Astrology allows a very more deep insight, or that is "scientific" while Tarot not.

I've many curiosity about your thoughts among this topic and also i think is good as a "market research".
Perhaps you can help me.
So...

Which is "better" or work at the most for you, in your personal experience, and why?

Do you consider someone "better" or not?
Why?

Thanks in advance for your commentaries:)!

Sunburst

I've studied astrology for 20 years, so I learned how to calculate natal charts by hand, without using computer programs. I found it easy to understand relationships between planets, as I could visually see various angles between them. I started to get into tarot just a couple of years ago, and have been studying it in more depth recently. I'm also a bit intuitive, I think. I like using both tarot and astrology. I find that they complement each other.

Tarot gives me a good idea of what's going on with a particular situation, and helps me to focus on a person's particular problem. Astrology is good for seeing trends, and I find that astrology is really helpful for timing things, both on a daily basis - like when to hold an important meeting - and to help a person see cycles and when major events will occur. I find timing to be difficult with tarot. Astrology also tells me about a person's personal traits, their natural strengths and weaknesses, and indicates the specific areas of their life where there are lessons to be learned. Astrological transits are helpful for seeing which areas of a person's life are being activated by the energies of the various planets. Tarot, on the other hand, is useful for finding solutions to problems, and for gaining specific insights on particular situations.

I guess I wouldn't want to give up either of them!

Sunburst

Psychebleu

I can't say one is better than the other, as I love them both! I actually began studying astrology first - but my thing was mainly natal charts - then progression - I never got into horary and electional astrology. For me, I found tarot better for fortune telling and prediction - of course astrology can help with timing.

I'll probably get virtual rotten tomatoes thrown at me for what I am about to say, but I'm gonna say it anyway. Who says astrology is all that technical? Or mathematical? Sure, when it comes to setting up a chart - but when it comes to interpretation it has never been the emphasis. Many (not ALL) astrologers like to use the mathematical aspect to imply that astrology is more accurate or rational than tarot. That's BS. We still approach astrology as if the planets revolve around the earth. Doesn't matter, because first and foremost astrology is based not on astronomy, but mythology. Tarot is based on archetypes. Same difference, if you ask me. Also, between aspects, signs, and houses, etc - there is as much room for confusion and varied interpretations for the same symbols and configurations, as with a 78-card tarot deck.

It's never really the medium, but how you use it.

Red Emma

Tarot? Astrology?

Among those who believe that before we enter this particular life, we make a grand plan which focuses on whatever lessons we need to learn, I've heard it said that one's astrological charts, forecasts, etc., outline the pre-life plan.

Tarot, on the other hand, helps us to see the day-to-day picture and how to deal with problems as they arise.

Makes sense to me, but I sometimes wonder about it.

Tabby

Astrology vs. Tarot. I have been doing tarot longer than I have been messing with astrology. Actually, I'm more of a "real beginner" with astrology because I'm reading a beginner book in astrology. The reason I'm dealing with astrology is so I can do my own natal chart and maybe understand myself a little bit better. Tarot, I feel, helps me with what is going on presently in my life. My concerns, etc. It helps me makes decisions, when I need to, and it is my guide.

dadsnook2000

Two different systems

Astrology and Tarot are two different systems and each provides tools that the other does not. I've been involved with both since the early '70s and I would suggest these focal points for the two systems.

ASTROLOGY can tell you:
** Specific things about all aspects of your character and personality.
** Can point out developmental trends during your life, ahead of time, even.
** Can pin-point in time when events are/will happen and what the nature of those events are.

TAROT can tell you:
** The answer to a specific question
** Provide meditative messages.

Weaknesses compared to the other system:
** Astrology requires the use of a time/location for a base-event, Tarot does not require this information or the calculation that goes with it.
** Astrology requires a lot more study to reach a reasonable level of practice and understanding, Tarot can be learned and applied much faster by students early in their studies.
** Tarot is not very good at determining "when" something will/could happen compared to Astrology -- which is excellent for this.

Dave

wizzle

ditto

ditto, ditto, ditto

The answers regarding tarot/astrology strengths and weaknesses are excellent. I can only add that studying the symbols in one system helps understand them in the other and adds a great deal of richness to a reading.

Psychebleu

Totally agree

wizzle said:
ditto, ditto, ditto

The answers regarding tarot/astrology strengths and weaknesses are excellent. I can only add that studying the symbols in one system helps understand them in the other and adds a great deal of richness to a reading.

This is probably the reason the Thoth deck is my favorite and yields the clearest answers for me. Eventhough there was a bit of a push to make the astrological correspondences fit - they have been enormously helpful for me, as someone who began studying astrology before I got into tarot. I have plenty tarot books - but when I began using that deck, there were moments when simply seeing the glyphs on the card helped me to more deeply understand the meaning better than comparing a dozen meanings/interpretations from the books I'd read.

ArcanoMáximo

Thanks by the replies!

I'm with the most every one said here.

When i say for me Tarot is better i mean that it is at the moment of the consultation with a client, a querent.

Those who use both how do you use them?
Do you have the natal chart open in the computer while reading the cards in the same office?
Do you speak of both together? or do you just use Tarot for the general forecast and in a moment you look to the chart for the timing?

Flidais

ArcanoMáximo said:
Those who use both how do you use them?
Do you have the natal chart open in the computer while reading the cards in the same office? Do you speak of both together? or do you just use Tarot for the general forecast and in a moment you look to the chart for the timing?
I don't do readings in person, so I can't address that. However, for my on-line readings I use both astrology and tarot whenever possible, unless (for example) the person has simply asked for a birth chart.

For all Tarot readings, I request the month, date, and year of birth. I have noticed on many occasions that one of the cards drawn into a spread will match a planetary placement in the client's chart (for example, the 5 of Cups appears and the person has Mars in Scorpio in his chart) . To me, this reaffirms that the cards are "tuned in" to that person. Also, the astrological information helps me understand the client all the better, along with how he or she can make the best use of the information shown in the reading.