Time to try another deck...

YogaSpider

Hello All,

Since a year now I have been learning the Wisdom of Tarot with the RWS deck. In another forum here in AT I was wondering about enhancing my knowledge of the Tarot by trying another deck.

I think that might be a good idea and now I will slowly explore the different decks.

The Oracle deck was pointed out to me. What is the Oracle Deck? Is it a type of deck so there are many many different Oracle Decks?

And what decks did you use to learn the tarot and become more skilled with it? What decks would you recommend to enhance Tarot knowledge next to the RWS deck?

So many questions, I am so eager to learn.
Thank you for your input,
YogaSpider

bladeraven

There's a whole area devoted to Oracles here: http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=63

My favorites are the Fairies Oracle by Froud and the Dreaming in Color deck..the Dreaming in Color I highly recommend because it's very visually stimulating on the upper level but subconsiciously it stimulates your intuition and really causes you to dwell into the deepr aspects of your subconsious and you tend to discover layers you didn't think existed before.

Another good thread is : http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=48714&highlight=oracle+tarot

there is a good suggestion of types of oracles to get...but give the Oracles section a look through and you'll be surprised at the wide variety and definetely take a look at the card samples...you'll be surprised at the visual and subconsious impact that they have.

As a postscript..Helvetica are using these Universe Cards for oracle readings and they are amazing...they are space images and you'll be amaze how it elicits a deep response from your intuition and subconscious state.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=48581&highlight=deep+space

YogaSpider

Blown away by beauty

I looked through the Oracle decks and I am blown away by their beauty.

Thanks for the hook-up, Bladeraven!

Now what is the distinct difference with the RWS deck and the Oracle decks?
How would one define the Oracle Decks...?

rcb30872

I have the Healing with the Fairies, and it really is a lovely deck.

I think that Oracles may give insight into what is around you at the moment, or something that you may need to work on. It usually pinpoints things like "Healing", "Love", "Forgiveness". I get the impression that it is not a DIY thing, if you know what I mean.

Whereas the RWS decks, and others like that, is more of a sense that could possibly highlight what is going on, what can be done to change it, and then possibly the outcome of such a change. I hope you understand this, because I definitely don't!!

Usually Oracles have a particular set meaning, whereas RWS and other decks can have different definitions for one particular card, and can be used for so many different situations.

I think I stop here *confusing myself*

Bec

bladeraven

I think this thread might be of great help: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=46968&highlight=oracle

If you look at the RWS you'll see a "template" that most tarot decks tend to work with but if you compared your RWS with the decks you see in the Oracle decks..you'll see that the Oracle decks like Dreaming in Color isn't based on the Major/Minor Arcana but rather images, thoughts, visual stimulations or like in the Universe Cards: images of space...Oracles tend to follow the I-Ching, even animals.

YogaSpider

Bec, my head is spinning by your explanation but I think I am starting to feel the difference ;). But please explain to me how it would not be a DIY thing?
I am appealed by fact you mention topics like Healing and Forgiveness, it sounds very Bright and Light.

Bladeraven, I hear ya when you are talking about the "templates"... I was looking for the pips and the trumps in some oracle images I just set my eyes upon and could not find them. Now I see why...

bladeraven

That's the really best way to illustrate the difference between Tarot and Oracles...Oracles really dont' have Majors/Minors.

For instance..the Universe Cards are nothing more than images of space....Froud's Fairies Oracles are the different Fairies that have a msg to share...Dreaming In Color..if you visit the website..you'll see it's a visual message of our intuitions and emotions..i.e. Forgiveness...

Oracles is a method to look at your intuition and spirituality and what makes up your physical...They are FANTASTIC decks to use for meditating on versus tarot decks in my opinion.

With oracles...you can use them with your Tarot deck as well...you can do a reading with the Tarot..and the Oracle will help you reach the deeper level of the reading...

YogaSpider

Please note that I am open to any other TAROT Decks other than the RWS.

Tips and suggestions are most welcome in order to help me improve my studies of the Tarot.

YogaSpider

Citrin

What kind of art do you like? There are tons of tarot decks that will remind you of the RWS, but still have little differences and symbolism that will be new to you. Thus making you learn more. :)

The Old English is a favorite of mine - Beautiful art and a minor arcana that is quite original, but not hard to get into.

Fantastical is a darker deck that is very well done and captivating. Once again, the minor arcana is quite different, and might take your tarot-mind a bit further. :)

There are also two beautiful 'RWS clones'; Hanson-Roberts and, my favorite - Robin Wood. They are very similar to the RWS, but symbolism is changed around a little and the art is of course different. I feel that especially the court cards in Robin Wood make them a lot easier to understand.

nexyjo

if you're looking to study the tarot, you may wish to consider looking at tarot decks exclusively, and not oracle decks. as you've discovered, tarot decks follow a structured format, where oracle decks do not - they can be any number of cards and often act as if they are all "majors", with each card having as much "weight" and influence as any other, with no specific association with any kind of suit or sub-group. each oracle deck can vary significantly.

while tarot decks can also vary, they all usually do follow one of a few fairly well defined formats.

my own personal favorites are the robin wood deck, which is a rider-waite clone with imagery that better suits my own personal view on the world, and the pagan tarot, designed by gina pace (who also hosts another great tarot site - wicce's tarot collection). you can find a review and pics of the pagan tarot on this site here:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/pagan-tarot/
or on amazon listed under "LS The Pagan Tarot". i've actually written a review on the deck which is published there.

keep in mind, that as a pagan, i tend toward pagan-flavored decks - of which both the robin wood and pagan tarot are examples. there's thousands of tarot decks available, covering virtually any interest. many people find that decks that relate to their interests work well for them.

on the other hand, sometimes a deck that has nothing to do with a person's interests will work for them. it just "speaks" to them.

i have usually found new decks by looking through reviews and pictures of decks, found on this site and others. it can take a while to find a new deck, and i'll usually set aside a rather large chunk of time specifically for that purpose. heh, i'll even set aside time just to look through different decks simply because i like to, and not specifically because i'm looking for a new deck :)

good luck!