Time to try another deck...

Little Baron

Nexijo explains the differences well. Oracle decks, whichever they are, are not 'tarot'. Tarot should always consist of 78 cards. It should have the major and minor cards, and the four suits within the minors, courts included. Oracles do not have this structure and enable the reader to read them in a fashion that they wish.

I have a few oracles but prefer standard tarot decks. At the moment, I am working with the Thoth. I like this deck and it may be interesting to you because the colours and 'feel' of the cards, even though they have the tarot's structure, can be used intuitively. They provoke reactions through their mood and there is a lot of symbolism and detail within the deck to draw on. If you do like the Thoth, one of the larger packs would be best, so that you can see all of the details properly.

Other decks I like - Hadar Marseille, the Druidcraft - the Marseille may be a little difficult to get into if you are used to scenic cards but it is worth the trouble and study. The Druidcraft has some very beautiful scenes and may be good for you if you want to look at what you already know from the RWS but through a different set of images.

Best,
LB

YogaSpider

What Art and which colors will speak to me...

All:

Thanks for helping form my thoughts and feelings. You can tell I am fairly new at this and guidance is so needed and appreciated.

Indeed there is so much out there and I am grateful to now know the difference in Tarot and Oracle Decks.

Yes, I think the best way is just to look at the art, colors, symbolism and just go with the ones that really sing and connect to me. I am a very "visual" oriented person so I have got a lot to look forward to in choosing my new deck.

YogaSpider

Abrac

Oracle comes from the Latin, oraculum, meaning "to speak." The dictionary definition of oracle is, "a source of wisdom." So in that sense both the Tarot and Oracle Decks are both oracles. It's rather confusing, but it's just simpler to say Oracle Decks to differentiate them from Tarots I guess.

fools_fool

Logiatrix

YogaSpider said:
...The Oracle deck was pointed out to me. What is the Oracle Deck? Is it a type of deck so there are many many different Oracle Decks?
Hi, YogaSpider!
I'm not sure if someone has already mentioned this, but there
is a deck specifically called the Oracle Tarot:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/oracle-tarot/

I enjoyed this deck for a while; I found it to be very readable
with depth I didn't expect. I'd assumed that the lack of court
cards and the art so spare of detail would inhibit really "good"
readings, but I was pleasantly wrong.

As a matter of fact, my deck moved on to a tarot pal who was
looking for a change, after exhausting all she could from her first
and only other tarot deck. She's still quite happy with the Oracle
Tarot
, but only as a second deck, because her first deck still
refuses to be replaced!
:)

HearthCricket

Personally I would treat yourself to the Gilded Tarot! I get wonderful readings from it, and there is a lot of symbolism and colour to it-lots of images to explore. The Halloween Tarot would be perfect, this time of year, to see how an artist uses a theme, but stick to the RW meanings, and how wonderfully the two can mix, when done well.