Convince me or discourage me....

BodhiSeed

I have been sitting on the fence for over a year about whether to get the Thoth tarot. I'm not drawn to the imagery at all... I suppose it's so different that it does arouse my curiosity though. Anyone care to convince me to buy it, or to discourage me from buying it?

Many Blessings,
Bodhran

gollog

I like a challenge, I'll give it a try ;)

Once felt the same, didn't like the deck but still felt a strong strange appeal. One day I couldn't win my curiosity so I bought the deck, but after at least a year, occasionally looking at it, reading about it and trying a reading with them... they still do nothing for me. I don't like the pictures, don't like the keywords on them, in fact, the grey frame on them is horrible and doesn't fit with the cards at all. Also I find it very hard to read with the minor arcana cards, they don't speak to me at all.

Still not convinced? Have a look at the horrible Hanged man card. That one really put me off!

Did any of this work putting you off???

Eco74

I say if it doesn't ruin your finances, go for it.

I'm in the process myself since I've seen a copy of the deck on the net at a really good price. I can certainly afford it and I have plenty curiosity. Also the artwork has this strange sort of push-pull on me...
Seems worthy enough to look into the challenge.
If the price does not go up too high, in which case I'll be getting something else instead, or just holding on to the money.

Mainly, the way I've seen it, it's a matter of priority and affordability.
The curiosity is there - that's just about as good as that elusive pull as far as I'm concerned.

Edited to add; And now, ofcourse, it has reached a too high price to keep my interest..

catlin

Go for it, bodhran!

You'll appreciate it once you have started on your journey trhough the Thoth tarot. It took me years to come to the Thoth but now I highly appreciate it. It's got a nice psychological output.

Grizabella

I don't like the Thoth myself. I just can't connect with it and actually feel put off by it. I've never seen any reason to insist on pushing it on myself, considering that. It seems like a waste of energy to me so I just don't worry about it. Not every deck is for everyone, after all. I know it's a popular deck and there are those who absolutely love it, but if it doesn't appeal to you, find one that does instead.

sharpchick

I've got it. . .when it first arrived, I looked at all the cards, making notes of my impressions of each - just as I do with all my other decks. Then I took a peek at the interpretations of the cards, and I was waaaaay off. . . something that hasn't happened to me often with new decks. It was hard for me to do a new deck reading after that.

My solution was to study the sucker intensively for about three months - only using my trusty Morgan Greer for daily readings and readings for other people.

This deck had to be the hardest for me to feel comfortable using, and I still feel as if I need the "crutch" of the companion book. I don't use the deck often, but I still adore the artwork.

tabbycat

Used to have the big greenish Thoth, but it went away with my ex. Never really liked it much - it was too large to comfortably shuffle and it was a bit scary, what with the Crowley connection. But I missed it...!
Now I have another copy and I've also got the small deck with the 3 Magus cards, also the Liber T. Don't read with any of them much, but they're nice to have, although I have to admit that I don't really care for the art on the Liber T.

Jilly

Citrin

Whoa! Not many Thoth-fans around. :D

I'd say, if it doesn't ruin your economy, go get it. I was once very negative towards it and didn't even feel like looking at the images online. Then for some reason I started feeling SO drawn to it a few months ago and ended up getting it. I was VERY pleasently surprised! The colors were much nicer than on the online scans, and it felt like a very refreshing change from my usual RWS decks.

It's much more readable than I first thought, and I like that it has a serious tone about it.

If you're really put off by the art perhaps you should stay away... But I'm just saying that you might end up really liking it. :) It's very well done and fascinating.

Alta

Well, I guess I have to chime in here.

Please, please go to the Thoth Forum and read for a while, especially the more general threads. The hard-core Thothites like Lillie, Aeon418, Scion and many others hang out there.

The art work is compelling, far more so than Pixie's, and the Book of Thoth rewards study. It is a fascinating deck which you could study literally forever. The more you use, the greater the rewards. Crowley may not have been the most upstanding person ever created, but genius' tend to live a bit of the edge anyway.

MareSaturni

Darling, i've too bought the Thoth and it DID ruin my finances back them. But it was SO rare to find decks here, i didn't, and still don't, regret anything.

I've used the Thoth for some time, when i practiced the 'reading-with-book' method...it because easier then, i was much more a beginner than i am now.
But right now, when i'm really trying to get in touch with the decks, to understand their symbolism...no, Thoth isn't for me. The borders don't bother me, the keywords a bit, the problem is...it is not clear to me. Mainly because i haven't really studied it's symbolism, it's complex...besides, right now i happen to be in love for another deck.

But i must say, Thoth was my love deck for many months...

Now, do you buy or not?

If you won't get absolutely poor because of this, GO FOR IT! Definitely, you might connect to this deck better than us in the end. Or you might keep it for collection. Or for studying different symbolisms.
There's a Thoth forum here, it might be interesting to visit...those study groups are really enlightening! I'm not there just because i'm lazy :D :D :D

AND, the Thoth is the deck my "skeptical/atheist/i-really-don't-believe-in-these-card-stuff" boyfriend likes most, from my collection. You see...most of people are really curious about it. Satisfy your curiosity, if you can!

~~~Yuko