Swietlistej Drogi Study Group - Nine of Wands

FaerieSage

Hi!
I was wondering, what have people found the 9 of Wands to mean in their readings? The imagery of the sickbed with the angel has confused me and I'm not entirely sure how I should be interpreting it.

Strange2

I have attempted a translation of the text on the 9 of Wands from the Tarot Świetlistej Drogi book, using Poltran.com.

"Consequence in operation, Including to life of ideal, Disinterested or platonic love, Valid views, Readiness for taking of battle in defense of personal conviction, Conquest of recognition and estimate, Intensive work over spiritual development (evolution), Tolerance, Community service, Wide mental horizons, Good health, Custody of (protection of) superior (upper; highest) power, Expected difficulties will turn out simple (easy) for overcoming than it seemed on start, Realization of dream, Proper moment for plotting, Obstinacy in aspiration for purpose, Overcoming of barrier, Breaking of personal limitation, Prosperous completion started operations earlier, Expansion of range of operation, Internal discipline."

My impression of the Drogi 9 of Wands, in light of this text, is one of receiving/giving support, overcoming difficulties, and working towards spiritual development.

Hope this helps...

FaerieSage

Strange2,
Thank you!!!! I've been contemplating trying to get things translated, but haven't actually had the time to do so!!! That makes so much more sense now. It's always nice to know what the artist intended. ;-)

Moonbow

When I see this card it always reminds me of the Reiki that I do (although I'm no angel :angel:).

The reason I like the Swietlistej Drogi deck is because the the depictions relate very much to the meanings I would use for a Marseilles deck.

Firstly I think of the number nine being a number of endings and completeness but one where all the other numbers (1-8) have been experienced first. So, just like the energy of life, various stages have been lived through and each one has lead to the next until this one is reached.

I would read it as something coming to its peak before moving on to a different stage. A turn around point to something new. The card could be seen in various ways but one is that the Guardian Angel is giving life back and therefore healing the sick. Another is that perhaps the person is moving on spiritually, or in death. I wouldn't see this a literal death though.

Grizabella

I thought 10's were completeness and things finished up. Maybe not in Marseille decks, though?

If I were to use a RWS type meaning for this card, I'd interpret it as saying that this person on the bed has been through a very serious illness and that through the power given to the person ministering to him which was in turn given to her through Divine intervention, he was holding his own now. Of course, on the RWS cards, there's no sign of Divine intervention or anyone ministering to the guy with the bandage on his head, but he's still resting from a physical battle, like the man on the bed is at a standstill with a serious illness of some kind.

I just got the deck, so as time goes on and I do readings with it, I'm sure a lot more will be revealed about it to me.

weaver

When considering the RWS 9 of Wands card I generally think along the lines of “hanging tough” or “going above and beyond the call of duty”. While I think that rather rote response works with this deck, to my eye the scene found in the Drogi 9 of Wands card gives us much more to consider.

Here we see what appears to be a hale and hearty woman tending to someone who looks frail and in need of support. Is what we see an old man experiencing declining health? Alternatively, might the reclining person be a youngster who is either sickly or simply temporarily requiring nurturing care of some sort and who is at that skinny, awkward age often experienced by youth, especially adolescent boys? For that matter, does the person in repose need to be a person at all? Might it not possibly represent a project or phase of some sort?

Behind the caregiver and reclining form, nine wands burn brightly, warming and illuminating the scene. Above it all, a haloed angel spreads forth its arms in a manner that suggests (to me) blessing, and the transmittance of strength, courage, and inspired thought that has the potential to be channeled into elevated action and (possibly even) a purpose driven life.

Though one can certainly look at this card and see a deathbed scene, I fundamentally find the image to be one of warmth and hope. I am not sure why the word “service” keeps entering my thoughts as I view this card but I am struck by the many ways the word “service” might bring to this scene. Specifically, what would tending a service to, or receiving service from, potentially and uniquely mean to each of the three figures depicted in this card? We are looking at a number 9 card meaning it is a multiple of 3. Could the the 3 figures possibly represent Faith, Hope, and Charity?

In the context of a Tarot reading, I think this 9 of Wards card provides a rich source of inspiration! Who or what is being nurtured? What needs are being tended to now or, alternatively, are in need of attention? Who or what is the Angel guiding? (Hands to work, hearts to God or Goddess, as the case may be?) Does the Angel represent a need for the “conversation” or actions being taken to be elevated in some way? In the scene we sense great focus on the part of both the caretaker and Angel. Is there a consuming force that needs to be explored in the context of a reading or, alternatively, something that might require extra time, energy, attention, or even resolve, at his point in time?

Lastly, in touching upon with what MoonBow so eloquently expressed in an earlier post, if what we are seeing is a deathbed scene, and, this being a 9 card, it makes sense it might be just that, what is ending right now or going to end soon? What might be required to bring about a successful closure while at the same time, addressing the needs of one’s highest self?

I hope these rambling thoughts taken from my notes are reasonably coherent! Attached is a clip of Drogi’s 9 of Wands card. What are your thoughts about this card’s unique image? I hope others join in this discussion regardless of whether or not you own the deck!

Attachments

• NineWands.jpg
    NineWands.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 129

victoria.star

I am just going to write what popped into my head the moment I held the card:

There are different levels of existence. Guidance or healing coming from the Star Walker, passing through the Healer into the Underworld. Connections of Sky, Spirit, Soul. Returning in a neverending cycle through the eternal flame. Reminder that all life is connected, in all its forms.