The International Icon and Me

Alta

tmgrl2 said:
...and moved the IIT into my very small cadre of reading decks...and moved the Alchemical out...to sit with other
"pretty" decks.
Okay, I am just shocked! Shocked I tell you!!!
The Alchemical is a very readable deck. The International Icon is too of course, but in a different way. Their 'spaces' are different.

(Which is, incidently, why I would never restrict myself to one deck.)

bleuivy

PlatinumDove said:
I'm in a tossup between my Thoth and one of my RWS clones, since I don't have the IIT nor the money to get it, especially not with the little one on the way.

I think the Thoth would be an excellent choice for this excercise. It's deep, but beautiful, and it just speaks such an interesting language.

I console myself thinking that we're all different and have our own unique ways of reading for others.

This is so, so true. Think how boring it would be if we all read the same. I love getting readings from different people on this site and seeing all of the different reading styles.

Kimberly

I went with just one deck for four years actually :laugh: and I think it did help me focus more on the meanings behind the cards than the cards themselves.

Of course, those were my first four years doing Tarot, so the experience was probably much much different for me than it would be for someone more experienced, or for me now.

PlatinumDove

Just the idea of reading with just one deck for over a year....*shudders* I think my other decks would call the Department of Tarot Services for negligence! :D

FantasyWorld

bleuivy said:
Alright, so I have deffinately decided I am in on this crazy adventure.
I'm having the same dillema: Which deck to choose? I want to use a deck that is deep enough I could stick with it. I would choose the Universal Waite, but I just cannot look at it every day for 1 year - the faces of those people sort of freak me out. Maybe I'll use a clone deck. The Hanson-Roberts is my newest deck, and I've had some great readings with it. Or maybe I should order the International Icon and cross that one off my wish list. ;) Or, hmmm...the Thoth, perhaps?

Oh well. Any suggestions?

I must be a masochist because I'm actually looking forward to this. :)

I think either Thoth or as Elf said in another post the International Icon.

Satori

Oh kissa, the Gill?
That would be hard. For me, choosing that deck would be hard....

I love the Gill, you know that. The Majors are some of my most favorite of any deck. Especially that Death card. I LOVE it. It moves me.

The thing about the Icon, well, it is obvious to me what it is saying.
I don't have to spend time digging at symbols or anything...it sort of just pops. I hadn't expected that. Really. It is a little uncanny the rapport I feel with it so soon. I have a sense of familiarity with it, like an old friend I hadn't met yet!

I did a phone reading last night and it was so seamless, the three cards, melting into each other...weird.

bleuivy

I have a start date!

Sooo...I haven't picked a deck yet (the Thoth is looking more and more interesting though - thanks for everyone's reccomendations!), but I have picked the official start date for this little adventure.

I'll be starting on...October 31st.

I chose that date because I didn't want to start something new like this until my dissertation is finished and turned in, and it's due on Halloween. So, I'll be finishing my dissertation and starting this project on the same day. Looks like I'll be starting the (pagan) new year off right. :D

tarobones

picking and choosing

I'm reading with interest and i agree. Pick a deck, stick with it. I couldn't do a Thoth, because I definitely find it a turn off, but I have a Convos Marseilles and an International Icon, so I could do this as well. Has anybody thought of doing a "Card of the Day" with the International Icon? or including II plus our Marseilles-Style deck, so we would be picking a card from say the Icon and then also looking at the same card from the Marseilles-style? Just a thought. I'm debating............BB, Michael

Satori

Hi bones,
Well, I'll be using the Hadar.
I have it, packed but soon oh so soon it will be down....and the big box of decks go up! Right now all my decks sit on a box on my dresser. I bid them goodnight and goodmorning...and I haven't touched one!

I just found my Victoria Regina in my Tarot cabinet, she was hiding under a spreadcloth, naughty girl, and so she will join all of the others very soon.

I have a stack of Tarot books going up on the Trading Forum sitting here by the computer, and another to be sorted thru in my cabinet. (My Tarot cabinet is an old, 1930's hutch with glass doors and three shelves. It is full of Tarots and Oracles....or it was.)

I think that a card a day is a great idea...I'll do it when I can. I don't always post daily here, family life is family life! But I do promise to check this thread as often as I can.

As someone who reads for the public I'm interested in the patterns that I know will emerge. I have three parties booked between now and Christmas, and I'm pretty sure I'll have more. And I've been getting more private bookings at the Bead store, so, I'll have lots of opportunities to use the deck.

I would like to get to the point where I feel comfortable enough with unillustrated pips to read them out in the world. I'm not quite sure where to begin with that tho.

Here, I'm gonna click my heels three times-clickclickclick-spin around, spin around, spin around....and shout...."Please help with the numbers O Tarot gods!"

There.
Now we wait.....

PlatinumDove

Ooooh, the Thoth and an unillustrated pips deck....*goes to see which one she should choose*