Fairy Tales Spread #6: The Four Dragons

ArwenNightstar

I realized that I need to put this into a book. So I went on a fairy tale hunt for fairy tales I wasn't familiar with. This is my first attempt. It is a Chinese Fairy tale. I will post the tale as rewritten by me in a response here. Would love to hear what you think of this.

This is a very simple spread in that it is only 6 cards.

The Four Dragons Spread
A Fairy Tale Spread
Overall theme: Doing good for the sake of doing good

Sometimes we have to tackle a problem in several steps. From the Chinese tale of the Four Dragons, I offer this problem solution spread.

~~~6~~~
~~~2~~~
1~~5~~3
~~~4~~~

Card one is the Pearl Dragon (The Zhujiang aka Pearl River): The Pearl Dragon sees that there is a need.
Card two is the Yellow Dragon (The Huanghe akaYellow River) : The Yellow Dragon identifies the problem .
Card three is the Long Dragon (The Changjiang (Yangtze) aka Long River): The Long Dragon shows you where to go for help.
Card four is the Emperor: The Emperor is the block. Here is what you have to defeat to solve the problem.
Card five is the Black Dragon. The Black Dragon is the risk-taker. Here is the risk you have to take to remove the obstacle to your problem.
Card six is your change. In this tale all four dragons changed into rivers. How will your involvement in this problem change you?

The Fairy Tale Tarot Spread Series:
Mirror Mirror #1
Big Bad Wolf #2
Rapunzel’s Tower #3
Sleeping Beauty Relationship #4
Princess On The Glass Hill #5

ArwenNightstar

The Four Dragons -- A Chinese Fairy Tale

As promised, here is the tale

The Four Dragons
Many moons ago, there was no water on earth save for the Eastern Sea of China. In this sea dwelt four dragons. They played together in the sea. Their names were Long Dragon, Yellow Dragon, Black Dragon and Pearl Dragon.

One day the most daring of them, Black Dragon, suggested that they play hide-and-seek in the clouds. So off they flew. Great waves broke over the sea as they flew up to the sky to play their game.

Pearl Dragon hid in a cloud far away from the others. While there, she saw something that broke her heart. She called to the other dragons.

“Come here! I am here! Come quickly.”

The other dragons immediately flew to her side for Pearl Dragon was their sister and they did not like her to be upset.

“What is it, little sister?” asked Yellow Dragon who was the eldest of the four.

“Look! Down there. Do you see what they are doing?”

The other dragons looked at the earth where they say people everywhere. All of them were putting out offerings of food and burning sweet smelling incense in prayer.

“What are they praying for?” said Black Dragon who was the youngest boy.

“For water! Listen!” The eldest sister, Long Dragon, pointed at an old woman.

The four dragons listened and heard her prayers.

“God of Heaven, God who is good, our children are starving. We need rain. Please send rain.”

And the dragons looked and saw that the crops had died. The grass had yellowed beneath the blazing sun. Nothing could grow without rain.

Long Dragon was moved to speak. “We must do something! The people will die if it doesn’t rain soon.”

Yellow Dragon listened to his brother and sisters as they all agreed. Then he nodded.

“You are right, brother and sisters. We must go and ask the Jade Emperor, the God of Heaven, to let it rain.”

He launched himself into the clouds closely followed by his siblings. They reached the Heavenly Palace in short time. But the Emperor was not happy to see them.

“Why do you charge in like this? Who has told you to leave the sea? I am in charge of all things in the three worlds, heaven, earth and sea.”

Even though they were very scared of the Jade Emperor’s anger, the four dragons had to speak.

Long Dragon took a deep breath and bowed to the Emperor. “Please, Your Supreme Highness, please listen. The crops on earth are dying and so are the people. Please, we beg you to send rain.”

The Jade Emperor didn’t care. He was busy listening to the music of his fairy singers. He agreed to send rain so that the dragons would return to their home.

The dragons waited in their sea for ten days without any rain at all. They flew to see the people and they wept. The people suffered greatly! They ate bark and roots and even some had to eat the white clay from the ground.
And the Dragons hung their heads. They knew that the Jade Emperor would never care about the people. They had to do something, but what? They sat thinking. Then Long Dragon announced she had an idea. The others leapt up demanding to know what it was.

Long Dragon pointed to their home, the Eastern Sea.

“Look there! All this water in our sea. Why should we not scoop it up and toss it towards the sky. Then it will come down like rain to save the crops. What do you think of my idea?”

“It is a good idea!” Yellow Dragon approved. “But, Jade Emperor will hear of this and blame us.”

Black Dragon set his jaw and looked at Yellow Dragon with a fierce gaze. “Eldest brother, I may be only the youngest brother, but I will do anything to save these people and their crops.”

The others agreed wholeheartedly. And they all flew up from the sea with huge mouthfuls of water. They swooped all about the sky spraying water. Back to the sea and up to the sky until the sky was black!

The people looked up. Could it be real? Was it really happening? They hugged one another and shouted for joy as the sky began to pour water down on them.

“Praise to God of the Heavens! He has heard our prayers.”

The plants drank in the water and straightened their stalks with glee. Wheat and sorghum and rice all began to turn green again.

But the God of the Sea saw that his dragons were misbehaving and he reported them to the Jade Emperor who was furious.

“How dare those four dragons bring rain? I told them I would do it! They must be punished!”

And he ordered all of his generals and their armies to arrest the dragons and bring them to him. The dragons came quietly to the heavenly palace.

The Jade Emperor called the Mountain God. “Bring me four mountains!”

The Mountain God whistled up a wind to bring in the mountains.

“Each dragon must be pressed beneath a mountain so that they may never escape.”

The Mountain God did as he was told but he was sad. As he did it, he told the dragons this, “The only thing that can harm my mountains is water.”

The four dragons never regretted their actions. They remembered what the Mountain God had told them and realized that they would have to transform themselves. Even though it meant never being able to play hide-and-seek or tag with each other in the sky and the sea, they turned themselves into four rivers which dug their way out of the four mountains.

Now they flow past high mountains and deep valleys crossing the Imperial lands of China from west to east. They are the Heilongjiang (the Black Dragon) who lives in the far north; the Huanghe (the Yellow River) who cares for central China; the Changgjiang or Yangtze (the Long River) who flows in the south; and the Zhujiang (the Pearl river) who lives in the very far south.

The other Gods realized that it wasn’t fair for the four to never see one another so they created openings into the Eastern Sea where the siblings can see each other. And the great land of China was blessed with the gift of water.

RETOLD BY Stephanie Arwen Beck October 16, 2005

seneris

Another great spread from ArwenNightstar. I like all your fairytale spreads, they have inspired me a lot. Thanks to your spreads I got into reading and studying fairytales again, and even took up writing.
So you really want to make your spreads into a book? That's a very nice idea. I wish you all the luck with it and keep us all posted on the results. I know I would want a copy!
Do you have any more spreads coming? ;)

ArwenNightstar

seneris said:
Another great spread from ArwenNightstar. I like all your fairytale spreads, they have inspired me a lot. Thanks to your spreads I got into reading and studying fairytales again, and even took up writing.
So you really want to make your spreads into a book? That's a very nice idea. I wish you all the luck with it and keep us all posted on the results. I know I would want a copy!
Do you have any more spreads coming? ;)

I am absolutely working on more. I think the Little Mermaid (the original version) might make a very good spread. :)

sprite

i really like these fairy tale spreads glad to see them again

ArwenNightstar

sprite said:
i really like these fairy tale spreads glad to see them again

Thank you! Have you tried any of them out? If so, what did you like or dislike about them?

sprite

welcome. i did the mirror mirror one a few months back. at first i was a little confused like i just didnt understand what it was saying. then the nexxt night a friend and i were reading the froud farieis and they were saying exactly what your spread said and it put it all into perspective. actually the spread kinda smacked me in the face a little, like hello wake up and see what you need to fix and change

ArwenNightstar

sprite said:
welcome. i did the mirror mirror one a few months back. at first i was a little confused like i just didnt understand what it was saying. then the nexxt night a friend and i were reading the froud farieis and they were saying exactly what your spread said and it put it all into perspective. actually the spread kinda smacked me in the face a little, like hello wake up and see what you need to fix and change

I have found that Mirror, Mirror spread to be a bit harsh. :-/ It doesn't pull any punches, does it! Thanks so much for the feedback!!

autumn star

I really love this spread!!! Thanks for sharing it ... I'm going to add it to my journal now :)

ArwenNightstar

autumn star said:
I really love this spread!!! Thanks for sharing it ... I'm going to add it to my journal now :)

Would love to hear your findings with it!