One Deck Wonder

bleuivy

Hi, elf and PD. That excercise does sound fun. Of course, I wouldn't be able to do it until Halloween or so. Would we write up our stories about the cards and post them? (I assume that is the idea anyway.)

Also, welcome, similia! Are you thinking of joining us, or just poking your head in the door?

ETA - I really like the scan of the back of the II. Everything I learn about that deck makes me want to work with it more!

Moonbow

Thought you might all like to see this:

The International Sign for Marriage: :D

Little Baron

I really like the idea of doing this. I think I have always wanted to do this.

But, I change my mind every second. What I want one moment, I don't want the next. What I didn't want, the next moment, I want.

So, I think that maybe this is a good exercise for me.

So ..

My name is LittleBuddha. I have about 60 decks. Some never get touched but many are pulled out, put away, pulled out again. I am choosing the 'Buddha Tarot' for this exercise. Why? I don't know. I like it but I do think it is going to be a difficult one to use since the minor cards are not packed with symbolism and the interpretations in Place's book can sometimes be a little weak. You will read what the interpretation of the mudra or symbol is and often, think to yourself 'how does that relate to a reading'. I recently bought a book of 'Buddhist symbols', which might just rectify that problem. Also, the daily draws in the 'Buddha draw thread' may help.

I am not convinced that I can do this but I want to try. I really do. I feel like I am wasting this deck by not really getting in touch with it properly. I would love to be able to read for others with it but right now, I do not know enough.

Ok, I will put the others away. I have a new A4 book with pictures of the Buddha on it, blank and ready for notes. It is almost intimidating since I don't know where to start with my journal. Was thinking of just making daily notes on my daily draws and readings in a diary fashion.

LB

fluffy

How exciting

LittleBuddha we will be doing the Buddha together! I was a little bit nervous about being the only one using a non-RWS so thank goodness you have chosen this deck :)

I was a little unsure of this deck at first (before I got it), it didn't really appeal to me the artwork or anything, I usually like fully illustrated minors, but I got interested in it when you did the daily draws and it grew on me. I agree that this deck has a lot going for it, but I feel you need to really study the deck to fully appreciate it.

Regarding the journal, I think I am going to have a couple of pages for each card and then start at the back of the journal just making notes of my daily draw.

I am really excited about this project and hope I can stick to it for at least 6 months!

Love Fluffy

Satori

Welcome to Similia and Little Buddha!

This will be fun!

Similia, it sounds like you are using the II deck? Seeing as how you scanned the back in, you have it, so I assume you are choosing it.

We may be asking you to scan more....! Hope you don't mind!

Jewel-ry

PlatinumDove said:
Yay! :) This will be a very fun project...anyone else interested in the exercise?

Yes, definately count me in.

I have only managed a little time with the II so far and I really do like it. I feel a connection with it already. I love the King Pents, he looks like he has a brick attached to his foot. Now I don't know the RWS decks very well and of course all of my decks are packed away so I have nothing to compare him to but is this traditional? I don't remember seeing it before.

I also ended up dreaming about 10 Cups, I don't know why as its one of those cards which I normally just see as a happy ending, contentment, satisfaction, happy family etc. The thing here is that the family stand with their back to us, why is that? Is that 'traditional' too? Is it designed so that we see what they see, from their perspective?

I think there are probably a lot of things which are taken from RWS decks but since I have spent very little time with them, I just don't know them and of course the minimalistic feel to this deck emphasises the details even more.

~ welcome LittleBuddha and Similia (are you sure similia is joining us?)

:)

Sulis

OK, I've been doing some thinking and I'm joining too.

It's my wedding anniversary on Samhain and I think I deserve a new deck as a present :) I love the space in the RWS and have been using that deck almost exclusively for the past 6 months so I'm sure I'll be able to do this.
For the last couple of weeks, I've been thinking of stripping things back to the basics; I have one Marseilles deck but I can't work with it so I'm going to order the International Icon from Tarot Garden, hopefully I'll have it by the 31st.
I think the International Icon will have the same sort of space on the cards that the RWS has so I'm sure I'll like it.

Like Jewel-ry, I'd like to be able to picture every detail of a card in my head by the end of this.
It's the Pagan new year and I'm about to start TABI's mentoring system for their free reading programme so it seems like the perfect time.
I'm also just about to finish a tarot journal so I'm in need of a new one; I think I'm going to get 2; one for readings, one for musings about the cards.

I have around 35 decks at the moment but I only use around 5 of them regularly. I think an exercise like this could be just what I need.

Thanks Similia for the scan of the card backs by the way :)

Love

Sulis xx

Satori

I think we'll have to ask kissa to check out her King of Pents on the Universal...but I think his foot is usually raised...what about the Marseilles? Is his foot raised there?

Also, for those with the Icon, look at this. Today I was sorting thru it as the kids watch cartoons, separating out the Majors to set up the journal and I noticed...whoa, there is a striking correlation between the Death card and the knights....as if the knights are somehow related to Death.

Of course the knights are all on horseback, as is Death in the RWCS, but so is the Sun child and...of all the pips- the six of Wands.

Now the knights would have been a sort of helper for Death because well, knights did a lot of killing right? And the knight of swords seems to be the active principle of Death, with him charging in with his sword drawn.

Also, of all the knights, the Sword knight is charging to the left of the card, toward the past, as does the knight of Wands, and the others sit their horse facing forward, to the future...

Both knights, swords and wands are on horses that are more active, depicting movement, but towards the past. It could be argued that as the knights of fire and air they are connected so they are more involved with creating Death than their watery and earthy counterparts....

I have no idea why all of these cards suddenly looked like a group, the horseriders, with Death and the Sun the two Majors...

AS for the Sun, if I sort of keep to this thinking and think of the baby on the horse as a male child, he would be the pre-knight, pre-death weilder. But the life force of the sun, opposite of Death...I need more time to process this, but this was an exciting discovery for me!

bleuivy

Huzzah! Welcome LittleBuddha!

It's amazing how our little group of tarot minimalists is growing. :)

Grigori

Well I'm still a little vague on what exactly we are doing :laugh: but I do want to spend some time with the II because as yet is has remained unused, so sign me up. Also I am happy to scan the images as needed.

PS Moonbow*: that looks rather like the internation sign for divorce to me ;)