One Deck Wonder

Sulis

elf said:
I think we'll have to ask kissa to check out her King of Pents on the Universal...but I think his foot is usually raised...what about the Marseilles? Is his foot raised there?
I'm looking at my RWS deck and the King of Pentacles is resting his foot on something - could be a stone, could be some sort of animal - looks like it could be a tortoise. I've attatched an image.

Love

Sulis xx

Attachments

• RWS---KIng-of-Pentacles.gif
    RWS---KIng-of-Pentacles.gif
    59.4 KB · Views: 119

Satori

It looks like his crest...a shield with a crest.

Kissa

oh shit i still haven't got my scanner working so i cannot help you but with a lousy description.
the foot is on a beast head, maybe an oax (sp?) or a wildpig (much probably) but i was never able to even notice it before i got the universal. are the universal waite cards available on tarot.com? where you can see the whole deck, i mean... that would help.
it looks to me like a hunting trophy or something. sorry i cannot help more!

kissa

edited to add a pic from tarot.com (or at least trying to...)

Attachments

• kingscoinsUW.jpg
    kingscoinsUW.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 102

Grigori

I've attached some scans again of the King of Pentacles.

I've always thought of that thing under his foot as a stone carving of a bull's head. To me it seemed an animals head of some description, the snout and eyes are clear. It could be a few animals I guess, but given the bulls all over this card and its association with Taurus (if you think of the RWS Kings as Fixed signs, which to me they most certainly are), I assumed it was also a bull.

I had rather wondered about the significance of his foot resting on it, or perhaps trodding it into the earth... Thinking of it in that light the gardens surrounding the king look a little overgrown and perhaps neglected.

The II in comparison is rather neat. The garden has only tidy grapes and that little grape like spot in the left hand corner. Even the castles behind seem more clean and maintained. Perhaps the taurus tendency to be slow has allowed the garden to grow up around him and get a bit wild?

Attachments

• II King Pents.JPG
    II King Pents.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 116
  • RWS King Pents.JPG
    RWS King Pents.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Line RWS King Pents.JPG
    Line RWS King Pents.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 111
  • feature.bmp
    124.9 KB · Views: 114

Kissa

darn!!! similia was faster than me for attachments!!

well done, you, man with a hat... ;)

kissa

ps: similia, where did you got the b&w image? from a book? i'd like to colour my own RWS for private use but cannot find the lines for the minors, just the majors...

Kissa

hi guys, as Jewel-ry already knows, i'm head over heels with the new fairytale tarot so i need some time-off to think, ponder and eventually reevaluate my commitment. i hope to get the international icon tarot early next week, meanwhile, i'm struggling...

anybody feeling like kicking my a**?? ;)

kissa

Moonbow

I'm not involved with this study group but I happen to have a black and white scan of the Roy De Deniers for you, as you see his foot is raised and crossed as in a number 4.

Grigori

I scanned that one from the Pictorial Key to the Tarot by Waite. There is a website I have seen where you can download a zip file containing the line drawings to all the RWS cards. I don't seem to have kept the link nor the download itself I'm very sorry to say :(

Maybe someone else can point you in the right direction... It does exist though, do not give up hope :)

bleuivy

Woops! I didn't see your post earlier joining our little group, Sulis. Welcome! I'm glad you've decided to join us!

Jewel-ry

similia said:
The garden has only tidy grapes and that little grape like spot in the left hand corner...

Maybe he is using the brick to squash the grape...making wine of course;)

I always thought he was quite a productive, enterprising guy!