Buddha Tarot Asita - The Seer

fluffy

Hi, I just thought I would get us started with this card.

These are just some ramblings on my first impression of Asita - the Seer. I will probably become clearer the more we study him. I hope!

As has been noted in other threads, he appears to be very different looking than any other figure in the deck. Almost western looking. I read it mentioned in another thread that he looks remarkably like one of the saints in Robert Places' Saints deck, although not owning this I can't say if I find this to be the case or not. Why does he look different? What is the significance of this? I have been thinking and have come to the conclusion that he is this way to set him apart from others. It makes him "unique", "special", how would he have appeared to them at the time, like someone foreign and exotic who had come from far lands with exciting stories to tell. He would have been someone to listen to with awe.

His hair is almost a grey colour - to show his age? many people associate age with wisdom this would concur with what Place defines this card as "wisdom". I also read on a web site that when he gave Siddhartha's father details of his prophecy he began to cry. When asked why he said that it was because although he knew Siddhartha was going to choose the rightpath, he was not going to be there to listen to his teachings. Again suggesting that he was very old.

The clouds I believe LittleBuddha has mentioned on the daily draw thread as showing a sadness or anxiety to Asita, which I think is a very good interpretation. However, I have had a further thought on this. The only other card that shows more clouds than this is the "Descent from Tusita Heaven" (the fool in standard decks). Perhaps this could mean that Asita is closer to heaven and that this is where he gets his insights from, he is near to his last incarnation and has been given the gift of foresight....

His clothing is red, which I have read is related in Buddhism to wisdom which again fits with the card, but what is that he is sat on?

I have more thoughts on this card and relating it to the Magician of traditional decks, of it's numbering and what this might mean in Buddhism, but for now I will let someone else take over hopefully. I feel I have more questions than answers with all these cards! :)

Love Fluffy
x

Edited to add picture :)

Attachments

• Asita.jpg
    Asita.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 305

YogaSpider

Hi Fluffy,

I just wrote in the thread started by LittleBuddha that I am so happy this study has started!

I am planning on purchasing the Buddha Tarot and would like to join this study too.

Yes, Asita was old when Siddharta was born... he was a hermit and very wise. When he held baby Siddharta in his arms and started to cry, the baby's parents became alarmed. But as you already wrote, Asita said that he was crying because he would not be alive when Siddharta would start his teachings. And Asita had been waiting all his life for somebody like Siddharta to come along...

Fluffy, I read in the other thread that you would post pictures of the cards? I am so curious how Asita looks like in this deck..!

Love and Light,
YogaSpider

Little Baron

Thankyou. Fluffy, I really like what you said about the clouds and Asita being close to heaven. The cards are making more sense to me as we discuss them and the characters, like friends. I love that they have names like 'Asita' because that is my first thought and means that I don't confuse this card with all I know about other magicians, which I feel, this man is not.

LB

aja

About those wonderful clouds....
(since I'm not familar with most of the legends, I'm having to do research on the characters - a not-unpleansant task :) )
Furthermore, he often spent his days in the Tavatimsa loka, a heavenly abode.
so yes, fluffy, it does sound as though he's up in the clouds. Perhaps on a lotus leaf? more likely a disk. another source put him at 90 when Siddharta was born. So I see him as sitting up on or above a mountain retreat, viewing the world, and seeing the celebration that accompanied Siddharta's birth.
But what is that he's holding in his hand?

fluffy

aja said:
But what is that he's holding in his hand?
Indeed what is he holding??? At first I thought it was a book and I still think it might be, but I think that wise men in that time period didn't have any of their beliefs or laws etc wrote down, they were handed down by ear generation to generation, so what could it be?

If it is a book then perhaps he is looking away from it because he has no need of the written word, everything he needs is in his head and his heart.

I found this on a website:
"The theoretical knowledge gained from a study of books is severely condemned by the Nathas as a useless lumber, as leading to confusion rather than illumination.

True Knowledge cannot be gained without Yoga. Merely intellectual knowledge does not avail for salvation. The Yogabija(verse 64) says - "+ + yogena rahita.m GYAna.m moxAya no bhavet.h". There are indeed records in history that several people obtained knowledge directly without the need of practising Yogi. By way of illustration the names of Jaigisavya, Asita, Janaka, Tuladhara, Dharmavyadha, Pailavakh, Maitreyi, Sulabha, Saragi and Sandili, to name a few among many such, may be mentioned. But it is replied that even in these cases the practice of Yoga in a previous life has to be presupposed. The Siddhas assert that a man who has obtained Knowledge but not Siddhi will be required to come under the sanctifying influence of a Siddha in course of time and through his Grace receive initiation into the mysteries of Yoga (cf Yogabija 159 - 60). This is absolutely necessary for the realisation of Moksa.
http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/gthursby/tantra/aspects.htm this is the website - I don't know how to do links :)

Perhaps this is the training that Asita had that is why he was crying because he knew he would not live to learn from a Siddha (Siddhartha). That is why he is turning away from his book, because he knows it is confusing him.

Relating him to the traditional image of the "magician" where are his tools? Does he need any? or is his teachings the only tools he needs to do his magic. Perhaps this magician is teaching us that we do not need tools to work magic and become great, it is simply a matter of a lot of years study and hard work and devotion.

Love Fluffy
x

YogaSpider

Asita was also a teacher and was able to interact with the devas, beings in the non-physical world. Hence the clouds, I would say. And to be able to interact with beings in the non-physical world could be interpreted as being able to practice magic.

I too, do not know what he is holding in his hands. Some scriptures cuz he is a teacher?

If it is a book then perhaps he is looking away from it because he has no need of the written word, everything he needs is in his head and his heart.
Nice one, Fluffy.

YS

Master_Margarita

The deck's author says in the companion book that Asita is in fact holding a book because "his wisdom and abilities come from his scholarship. he has not yet attained the spiritual wisdom that a Buddha can provide." Place also directly notes "Pay attention to the direction that this card is facing," an important message I think when this card appears in a reading.

I personally think that a Prophet is really quite a different figure than a Magician. He foretells an outcome rather than changing one.

Freddie

Asita was also a teacher and was able to interact with the devas, beings in the non-physical world. Hence the clouds, I would say. And to be able to interact with beings in the non-physical world could be interpreted as being able to practice magic.

I too, do not know what he is holding in his hands. Some scriptures cuz he is a teacher?

Nice one, Fluffy.

YS

Indeed they are scriptures on wood or palm leaf tired on the end with string, kind of like a big key chain. This is a beautiful card and the colouring is very emotive. I don't get the context of the 'The Magician' card in some packs, but this one I do as he seems friendly, but wise.

Freddie

Bhavana

You can still buy this deck for under $20 at Discountnewagebooks.com...
It would be great if the study group would get going again.