Question about Tarot cards..

lilwinky

I would like to know, if people mix up their decks when they do a reading? Have anyone of you taken the Goddess deck and mixed in with the Rider-Waite Deck or any others have you mixed?
In one of my "learn about Tarot" books, it said, that you can do these things, and or side by side..readings...like a double reading. That kind of sounds hard to me...would you need to be extremely "experienced" in tarot readings already to be able to do this?

Curious as usual.

P.S.
I also have a new "little cheapy set" of cards...called "the answer deck", from Barnes and Nobles bookstore..have you ever seen those?
The first "tarot"deck that I have ever used ,were the Barnes and nobles Version..they are small, but, they have nice pictures on them! They are cute!

thanks, lilwinky

dadsnook2000

No

No, never, why? Each of the several decks I possess have been chosen for their uniqueness relative to the others, for thier concepts. Mixing them would confuse the purpose I have in mind for each of them. It might also cause some confusion for those I read for. Then, there is always the problem of sorting them and getting them back in their boxes. And, don't forget the difficulty in shuffeling and managing cards of two different sizes/shapes or proportions. Dave

lilwinky

Do they have small Rider -Waite tarot cards?

I saw them somewhere, I think that that would be so much easier for me to handle than the larger ones? DO they make these for all decks? Are there a multi-range of sizes? I was really surprised to see the smaller deck!

lilwinky

p.s. thanks for you reply on mixing the decks...but, I am still wondering if other may do that...just call me curious again! Meow!*giggle*

Amhran

give it a try and see....

I remember my friend and I trying that once. We mixed our two decks together and in our usual way took turns asking a bunch of questions. Never would either of us had done that in a professional reading or a reading done for anyone else. We did it just to see what it would be like. The novelty wore off quickly and we were back to reading for each other with our own decks. I imagine we learned something from the process. Most likely that simpler is better and 8 Kings are not better than 4 Kings! And 2 Death cards are *defininitely not* better than just 1 Death card!

However, everyone has to learn in their own way at their own pace. So Lilwinky if you are curious, go ahead and mix them up and see what you might learn from the experience. Even if you learn the same thing I did, at least you learned it first hand for yourself.

Cerulean

The Answer Deck and Tarot Nova look about the same size

depending on which pocket edition of the Tarot Nova it is. Since the Tarot Nova is designed to give small and simple readings, it's fine to mix your Answer and Tarot Nova.

On the other decks chosen, you might not like how the art mixes up--or you might enjoy the variety. The method of mixing decks has been called "comparative tarot" and the idea to read using two different decks--whether tarot and tarot or tarot and oracle.

BTW, the learntarot.com site has listings of different decks that you can see front/back samples and I believe, sizes. You could see different sizes of Rider Waite (Smith--to add the designer's name) decks there and different color versions. From what I remember, there are many versions Rider Waite Smith deck in different sizes and colors.

Best regards,

Cerulean

ArwenNightstar

lilwinky said:
I would like to know, if people mix up their decks when they do a reading? Have anyone of you taken the Goddess deck and mixed in with the Rider-Waite Deck or any others have you mixed?
In one of my "learn about Tarot" books, it said, that you can do these things, and or side by side..readings...like a double reading. That kind of sounds hard to me...would you need to be extremely "experienced" in tarot readings already to be able to do this?

I like to use two decks when I am reading for a couple or doing a year reading but I don't shuffle them together. What an intriguing idea!

michellemd

nope

lilwinky said:

Curious as usual.

P

nope,,, never mixed decks. doesn't seem to gel in my mind...!
no, i personally, IMHO, don't think it would serve any special purpose!

Amaterasu

I think I've read of that somewhere before.

I think it'd put a fun twist to readings, but I'd never do it because reorganizing the cards afterwards seems hard to do.

But I guess if you have the patience and presence of mind to pull of something like that, then go for it. :)

lilwinky

the other ideas....

regarding reading different decks....
I have also seen where people would take one deck, do a spread,and then take a completely different oracle deck or whatever the client wants,and or what the reader wants and they do a spread next to the other spread....the odd thing about this is that I haven't done that, yet, I have done readings with other oracle decks, after a reading with a tarot deck, and or vice a versa and I will end up getting a similar reading! The latest readings that I was doing was on the ex-friend that I have mentioned before....I asked the two decks at different intervals and perhaps different months as well, if she was over the end of our friendship...and each time the decks revealed to me that she was having a difficult time "regrouping" in her life,.,.,..kind of stagnant if I read those cards right! Well, Maybe I am seeing either what IS there, or what I wanted to see....but, I would rather see that she is no longer angry with me...but, I don't think that is what I was actually seeing in the cards...they kept saying over and over, that there is no "movement",and there is no change, and there is a sadness or longing still....even after several months.(The truth was that the friendship we had , well, it should NOT have been allowed to go on as it did, it was a very unhealthy, unbalanced, kind of "co-dependant" type of bad friendship.)..I let the friendship go on and on, and I should have said "you are hurting me, and I do not want this friendship of yours any longer!"..but, I didn't, partly because I thought that I could "change "her,,,,but, nope! ya can't! I knew that, I guess I am as stubborn and as relentless as ever...which isn't always a great thing!

But, had I read the cards sooner(if I had had cards way back then, those cards would have said "Girl, you can't see the bad vibes! Well, we can, and she's gotta go!" Yeah, that is what they would say!!! LOL! <GRINS>!!!! ;-)

lilwinky