The Empress--Other Meanings

Quizeen

I've been accustomed to think of The Empress as the nurturing/mother card, but is it possible that she also indicates the birthing or development of a new idea, project, way of thinking? Is she always very literal/grounded or can she also be more "of the mind'? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

star-lover

yes, one of the meanings of the empress signifies creativity per se

bringing life to something

also one of the words i relate to this card is *blossoming* and bearing fruit after period of gestation

i love this card

this card reminds me of that chaka khan song, im every woman its all in me

she can do anything she puts hand to and take care of it
power of the feminine stuff

a_shikhs

Hey Quizeen,
yes, the Empress card does denote nurturing and motherly feelings. I dont really see this card relating to the development of a new idea or a project but it does indicate the birth of a baby. It can indicate achievemnt of goals and accomplishment. She is someone who is very very loving, luxurious, practical, mature and loves outdoors. I guess she is more grounded but where the mind is concerned, she is practical and positive. These are my views about her.. I too would like to know and learn about other people's views and ideas..

Shikhs...

Sophie

Quizeen - it's actually her first meaning: she is the one that births what the Priestess has gestated, fertilised by the Magician.

The nurturing aspect is what follows on from giving birth (obviously!!)

So it goes for an idea, a story, a song, a mathematical solution, a cake, a legal argument, etc...as well as a real child.

Quizeen

This is all very welcome. I was little concerned because The Empress keeps coming up lately in readings that I'm doing for myself pertaining to changing situations, finding new paths for myself, etc. I'm not a particularly motherly, lovey person, so the thought of a possible future in this vein was a little alarming to me.

But, it began to occurr to me that perhaps, for me, The Empress meant bringing an idea to fruition, which seems very reasonable given my present circumstances. But I was concerned that I was just rationalizing things. It's good to know that there might be other possibilities of meaning.

mtnmermaid

I think the card can definitely have the broader meaning of nurturing and encouraging growth/expansion of anything, just broaden your definition of mothering - think of a mother who nurtures her kids' aspirations whatever they are just because she loves them. One kid is starting a business, one kid (these are grown up kids LOL) is starting a family with a husband and her own kids, one kid is an artist, one kid is...insert whatever you want....Mom doesn't care what they're working on, she'll encourage them all to make whatever their project is grow and flourish. She also turns up for me a lot when I need to stop focusing on others and remember to take care of myself.

Dolphin_Dreamer

Hi

I've done readings for ppl about career choice and always thought of it in the vein you are thinking... Some ppl get attached to thier special projects, thier cars, thier hobbies (hmmm are we talking tarot here??? lol) and they refer to them, nurture them as 'thier babies'.

Sometimes you might look at the surrounding or adjoining cards that also might elaborate on the empress...

Teheuti

Quizeen said:
I was little concerned because The Empress keeps coming up lately in readings that I'm doing for myself pertaining to changing situations, finding new paths for myself, etc. I'm not a particularly motherly, lovey person, so the thought of a possible future in this vein was a little alarming to me.
I've had similar feelings about the Empress and it took many life-changing situations for me to come to a real appreciation of what she could offer me. If she keeps coming up then she wants you to get to know who she is and can be for you. It could be about nurturing and taking care of yourself or becoming more aware of your sensual or aesthetic side. The Empress can speak to nutritional issues or to the pure enjoyment of nature and the beautiful things around you. There may also be an opportunity to rule and direct from a yin perspective.

Mary