Trimming the Thoth

rachelcat

Hey, Catlin, good luck. I know you'll be pleased. I thought that if the deck was uneven it would bother me, but for some reason it doesn't. I don't feel like I "messed up" my cards at all! I guess the advantages outweigh any negativity!

And, Fulgour, making a template is a good idea.

Have fun with it!

Dwaas

Well done rachelcat!

Just a trick to get the sides even: hold the deck with the cards tight together and rub the deck softly on very fine sandpaper. You will be amazed with the wonderful results! If you hesitate, test this with any other stock of paper.

And I am happy to hear catlin that you will join the trimming club as well. :)

Happy trimming to you all. Blessings

thinbuddha

Pointy corners.... I had trimmed my cards, and within a few minutes of messing around with them, those corners were not that pointy any longer. If you plan on shuffling the cards, I strongly suggest rounding the corners somehow, because those pointy corners damage easily.

Oh- it has been something like 3 months, and I am still very happy with the results. I recommend it to any and all who ever thought the borders were a bit overdone.

ravenest

When I first started reading on this forum I had no idea what trimming the Thoth meant. Then it became clear and I was horrified! Sanding them too ! next someone will be suggesting to jig-saw and lacquer them.

But now I have become curious. The geometry. The way they look when trimmed. Ooooh, I'm nervous ... but i think I am going to do it. Will it be on my old (faithful) deck or will I buy a new one?

Are there any Toth decks out there that get produced without the borders?

catlin

I can strongly recommend rounding the corners because I have some wonderful French decks with pointy corners and each time I take them out of their box you can bet that I will get one of these points under a finger nail - ouch! (I don't know why the French apparently love pointy corners, must be a "de Sade" remniscent).

Besides, pointy corners tend to fray easily.

catlin

ravenest said:
next someone will be suggesting to jig-saw and lacquer them.

Wow, methingks I should have the trimmed Thoth colour copied and glued to a cardboard. I'd love to have a Thoth puzzle!!!

Fronterance

ravenest said:
But now I have become curious. The geometry. The way they look when trimmed. ?

Why don't you just do what I will eventually do... get the images from online and crop them in photoshop? Then you can play around with the geometry easily enough.

Dwaas

ravenest said:
But now I have become curious. The geometry. The way they look when trimmed. Ooooh, I'm nervous ... but i think I am going to do it. Will it be on my old (faithful) deck or will I buy a new one?

Are there any Toth decks out there that get produced without the borders?

First question: buy a new Thoth, it is easy available and not that expensive, so if you are not satisfied with the results you will still have your old friend untouched.

Other question: no, as far as I know there are not Thoth decks sold without the borders unless trimmed after buying the deck.

Blessings

thinbuddha

ravenest said:
i think I am going to do it. Will it be on my old (faithful) deck or will I buy a new one?

BUY A NEW ONE

2 reasons:

1-Don't cut into your old trusty Thoth
2-The new decks are made in such a way that the backs are *perfect* after being cut. Some of the older printings, if cut, would leave the tips of the rose cross clipped short..... not good. Basically, take a look at the backs- and imagine what will be cut away before jumping.