Trimming the Thoth

ZenMusic

okay, I'm so impressed with the photos... I'm going to trim one of my large Thoths....

Has someone actually used these exact tools with good result ??? if so I'll get them

Some useful info ..-> Tools used for the borderectomy:
**** Fiskars trimmer: http://www.fiskarscrafts.com/tools/
**** Fiskars corner edger:

after using the corner edger..
>>Just a trick to get the sides even: hold the deck with the cards tight together and rub the deck softly on very fine sandpaper

Edge

I also will be joining the fold. Planing on trimming one of my decks very soon. At first I was against this but after reading some threads and seeing pictures of the finished work I'm sold on the idea completely. About the whole sandpaper issue, will doing this round out the corners a bit? I'm guessing that is more desirable than having a 4 sharp points...

TenOfSwords

Sanding is going to "blunt" the corners at least. I'd be a bit carefull trying to round the corners by sanding because of the risk of seperating the card from the varnish on the cards. Haven't sanded mine so I'm not an expert on it though.

I was really satisfied after having trimmed mine (just used scissors) and the reduced size was definately a bonus when shuffling.

RubyV

I think corner cutters are a must with a deck trimming project. It was a huge help when I trimmed my Goddess, and when I have some extra cash I''ll buy an extra thoth to trimmed because it looks so pretty!!

Formicida

I am *this* close to buying a new large-size Thoth and going at it, but I'm nervous and need a bit of encouragement. Specifically, I'm worried about the cards in which the image goes all the way out to the corners. Using a corner cutter, did you guys slice off the Fool's fingers or decapitate the little people in the upper corners of the Lovers? And if so, is that as weird and distracting as I fear?

I'd really feel better if I could see scans of those two cards from people that have taken the plunge.

Little Baron

Just an observation.

I trimmed my Thoth a few years ago. I have it sitting here beside me. With my large one, that has borders.

I had to get rid of those keywords and was so relieved.

But two years later, looking at them, I think I have come full circle. I feel that the bordered set look more regal and impressive than the trimmed.

I know!!!!! Me!!! The border-killer!!!!

But I actually feel that a cut deck looks more like a set of postcards. I have often felt that Harris' art style is not always consistant in the deck [in that some is kind of impressionist and loose, and some is very detailed], so the borders do hold it all together. And I am actually looking into the keywords and appreciating them a little more, whether they were supposed to be on the cards or not.

But it is nice to have both sets so that I have a choice.

I would definitely recommend it as an exercise and way of getting to know your deck.

LB

TenOfSwords

I had the same concern with the image vs border actually (hadn't anticipated it before cutting), but using a dark uniform background for the readings (I guess a light one would work as well) solved the missing border problem for me.

Little Baron

You know, in an ideal world, I would like a small border in black, with the number and title, added in some kind of unobtrusive way. If I could take a marker that wouldn't rub off and colour that border in [and know that it wouldn't drive me mad to do], that might be an alternative. The other thing I think, is I wonder what it would be like to leave one of the slim lines around it. The design does have a very, very small border incorperated in grey. Has anyone tried that?

LB

Formicida

Unfortunately, similia hadn't rounded the corners yet at the time of the photo (though he said he was going to), so the picture doesn't help. It is lovely, though.

TenOfSwords, have you been using them long with unrounded corners? Aren't they going to fray in shuffling or catch on things?