Celestial Tarot - The Magician (Mercury)

MareSaturni

It was my daily card and i didn't quite understand why, so i thought we could give it a try :)

I- THE MAGICIAN ~ MERCURY ~

Standing over something that looks like a could or a white-ish smoke, we see the Greek god Hermes, called Mercury by the Romans. He is holding a caduceus in his left hand, and he has golden wings on his feet. Around him, we can see the symbols of the air, Gemini and Virgo and the Hebrew letter beth. The symbol of the planet Mercury is shown as a jewel sewn into his tunic.

Mercury/Hermes is the messenger of the gods. The god of the communication, of the medicine, of the tricksters and the thieves. He has been also considered the god of the mind and he's known for his perspicacity and cunningness.

Here you can see a picture of the card.

~Yuko

MareSaturni

I start then...first, some info about Mercury.
You're free to add more, of course!

Mercury @ Metasymbology.com

Mercury the Messenger of the Gods

Mercury is the youngest Player. He's full of ideas, youthful and very social. He likes the game to go quickly - his mind is ever changing. "Fast to come and fast to go!", is one of Mercury's favorite sayings.

The young son of the Moon, Mercury takes after his luminous mother and finds joy in the use of his ever-active mind. Unlike the intuitive and emotional mind of his mother, Mercury prefers only the facts and loves to research.

Immature and impatient Mercury can be defensive and quick to argue. His feelings are close to the surface and he often speaks out of turn. He has an eloquent way with words and loves to bring us news - the Messenger of the Gods. He is very communicative and prefers the written word or light and easy banter.

In Metasymbology, Mercury is Lord of Gemini and Virgo.

~*~

Mercury @ Astrologycom.com

Mercury

Mercury, the messenger of the gods, symbolises mentality: our intellect and mental outlook, the way we think and communicate. Mercury, as Hermes, is the emblem for the magus, the wise counsellor, divine messenger – and prince of thieves!

Planetary lord of Gemini and Virgo, this fast-moving planet stands for ideas, methods and information, especially as expressed through communication and media. Mercury rules writers, travellers, analysts, magicians, salespeople, astrologers and all types of consultants. Through his rulership of our hands, Mercury also reveals our manual dexterity and mechanical skills.

Mercury, god of the crossroads, also governs transportation: how we get where we're going, both physically and mentally.

~*~

...Mercury rules writers, travellers, analysts, magicians...

That's a very interesting link already...the patron of the magicians could be a magician himself...

~Yuko

WhiteRaven

I don't have very much to add on this card. Magician has always been a weak point for me in any deck. I have noticed his stance though and I find it quite funny really when you put the Fool next to him in order. It's like he's looking at the Fool ready to jump off the thumb and come towards him.....The Magician has this look on his face as if to say, "Oh Gawd, look what's coming.....must I endure such foolishness."

As per the imagery.....nothing much to add except there is the usual "as above so below" theme....something that draws my attention is his knees...they look sore and bruised.....also....there are several spirals that are beginning to form within the cloud that he's standing in. Perhaps this suggests an onset of a journey that's he's started.

I would like to note that it was quite ironic that Uranus has 21 moons according to that one website that I stumbled on...and then I read a thread that Dadsnook2000 posted in regards to the Moon in Astrology and how the moon is our "needs". Then I thought about Uranus and the "21"....the needs of the Fool is the path of the 21 Majors.....

Ok....back to the Magician now....;)

Anyone else have any observations?

MareSaturni

WhiteRaven, i put your observation about the Fool and the moons in the Fool thread...i feel it belong there and it IS very interesting. I don't know much about those astrological details (hence my great interest in studying this deck...certainly to learn more!), so i thank you for sharing this information!

Back to the Magician...we see that the Mercury's characteristics fit him very well. He shows one's ability to use the tools he has available to achieve something. Mercury, as the god of merchants, is that seller who is using all his charm, his charisma, his persuasion, to convince you that you really need that product. As a doctor, he'll use all his knowledge and equipment to make sure the person gets better. As a thieve, he'll use his dexterity and skill to either steal that wallet or to escape from the prision.

As the Magician, he'll use all the elements around him to create whatever he has in mind...and to teach the Fool how to do the same. How to use his latent potential.

But the Magician, like Mercuty, is quick. Unlike the High Priestess, who slowly unveil the mysteries, he'll tell the Fool "All right kid, you use this and that to do that...yes, like this...always think about this and this and don't forget about that. Got it? Great, i gotta go...bye".

If we relate Mercury with the signs he rules, Gemini and Virgo, we can also see a bit more about the Magician. Gemini appears in the 'Lovers' cards, the card of choices and search, and Virgo is the Hermit...the Magician is also about searching, deciding how to use your tool the best way, and discovering the things hidden in the darkness.

Wow, i'm writing too much. I don't know, this deck makes me inspired! How come it took me so long to get it...

~Yuko

rcb30872

Elemental Symbol ~ Air
Astrological Ruler ~ Mercury
Astrological Correspondence ~ Gemini/Virgo

Gemini
They can be something of an illusionist and trickster. Just when others think they have found the keys to their personality or thought patterns, Geminis switch mental gears and leave those around them needing to take the time and energy to understand them all over again. When they truly set their mind to soem pursuit, plan or project, they can be one of the most determined of all signs. Their mind is their magic wand, and the saying "You are what you think" really holds true for Geminis. Their thoughts decide whether they play the game of life as a winner of a loser, as a victor of victim over circumstance. That is why it is so vital for them to master their thoughts and think positively. Although they are often most charming and accomodating, they can be incredibly contrary when it suits them. They pursue their dreams with a strange kind of driven tenactiy, and also with an amazing vulnerability or ingenuity. They seem to have an innate knact for turning their desires or dreams into realities. Their thoughs are far more potent than they possibly even appreciate or realise, and can be used to either build their life, or sabbotage their life, according to the way they think about things. When they don't have a secret agenda they can be the most up-front person. At other times they keep long-running secrets, schemes, dreams and desires locked away safely in the secret garden of their powerful mind. Taking their thoughts out to play only when they know nobody can sense or tune into them is often one of their greatest powers of all. This is when they are at their hightest level of scheming, manipulating and conniving and when they do this inner-dialogue or brain churning activity they are the mind-master of the zodiac. If they want something, or someone, they usually get the results they desire. They can express themselves not in straight talk but in riddles.

Mercury's Influence on Gemini
Because they are so mecurial in nature, they can be tremendously exciting, mysterious and alluring companion. They have great ideas, moments of great insight, even genius, and an incredible ability to excite and inspire others with their concepts. Because their ruling planet Mercury is the planet of communication and mind powers, they can be the zodiac's greatest genius thinker and analyst (at times). They can also be one of the greatest of business people. They can be incredibly psychic if they learn to tap into the enormous unlimited resources accessible through their own mind. And when they are creative and tap into the magical zone of creativity, they can be in a league of their own. Mercury is the ancient messenger of the gods. Mercury's influence makes them a natural communicator and it also gives them a yearning for travel. Their abundance of energy (mental and physical) is a gift from Mercury and so is their ability to think fast! Mercury has two sides. The planet can intensify mood swings and put a new twist on decision-making; that's why they sometimes find themselves changing their mind back and forth before they reach a decision.

Virgo
Mind-magic is in their zodiac genes and many professional magicians are born under this sign. When they don't want to be seen, there are times that they perform their home-making sleight of hand, thier psychological games, or blend into their chosen surroundings so that they become almost invisible. While not by nature as competitive as say the fire signs, they are far better than most and winning over others or getting what they want, although they play the scenes out in their mind, rahter than in front of the world. They play their best cards so that others do not notice the clever way that they have outmanoeuvred them, even after they have won their hand.

Mercury
Mercury is a personal planet. Mercury rules the conscious, reasoning mind. Mercury reflects out link of reason between the conscious and subconscious, between physical and spiritual. Mercurial types tend to be adaptable, mental, active, able to pursue several activities simultaneously, expressive and communicative. Some positive characteristics of Mercury are the ability to learn quickly, resourcefulness, brilliance, eloquence, dexterity and great awareness. Some negative characteristics of Mercury are an unwarranted sense of superiority, indecisiveness, instability, talks too much, gullible and nosy. Mercury rules the nervous system, tongue movement, the hands, reflexes and coordination, mental awareness, memory and the conscious mind. Mercury rules writing, among other things.

:love:

Bec