The Boiardo Tarocchi Poem: Chapter 1 (Fear) (Whips)

DoctorArcanus

Here is the second part of the translation by Ross G Caldwell with my consulence on the Italian Language :)

Code:
COMINCIANO CINQUE CAPITULI                   HERE BEGIN THE FIVE MOST
BELLISSIMI SOPRA IL TIMORE,                  BEAUTIFUL CHAPTERS ON FEAR,
GELOSIA, SPERANZA, AMORE, DEL                JEALOUSY, HOPE, AND LOVE, BY
CONTE MATHEO MARIA BOIARDO                   COUNT MATTEO MARIA BOIARDO

CAPITULO I (TIMOR) (Flagelli)                CHAPTER I (FEAR) (WHIPS)

1) TIMOR un'alma tien tanto dubiosa          1) FEAR keeps a soul is such doubts
Ch'ella ha poca ragion(1) di viver lieta,    That it has little reason to live happily,
Qual mai non gode e sempre è paurosa.        Because it never enjoys and is always afraid.

2) TIMOR, dov'è(2) qualche pericol, vieta    2) FEAR, where there is some danger, forbids
Pigliar piacere, e tanto un om fa vile,      All pleasure, and makes a man so faint-hearted,
Che l'animo ragion mai non acquieta.         That reason can never appease the soul.

3) TIMOR tremar fa l'agnel ne l'ovile        3) FEAR makes the lamb tremble in the fold
Se di fuor sente il lupo, e si sta chiuso,   If it hears the wolf outside; and it stays so enclosed,
Che appena intrar gli puo il vento sottile.  That the subtlest breeze can hardly reach it.

4) TIMOR quattro destrier d'un carro a l'uso 4) FEAR keeps four horses at the service of a chariot
Sotto una virga tiene a un giogo stretti;    Under a cane, tied to a yoke;
E molti in servitu, che non gli excuso.      It also keeps many in servitude, whom I do not excuse.

5) TIMOR ci tien talor, che i nostri effetti 5) FEAR so grips us sometimes, that we cannot
Non possiam dimostrar, ché assai ne offende, Express our feelings, which is a great damage,
Che compagni al timor sono i rispetti.       Because respect is a fellow of fear.

6) TIMOR fa sempre che un non si(3) difende, 6) FEAR makes so that someone never defends himself,
Ma supplice ai contrasti se dimostra         And in case of conflict chooses to implore
E senz'arme adoprar vinto se rende.          And surrenders without using his weapons.

7) TIMOR se tu ti accosti a armati in giostra 7) FEAR: if you reach the armed men in a joust,
La lor virtu sarà sotto te morta;            Their courage will be dead under your influence;
Dove tu sei, sempre la fronte il mostra.     Whenever you are present, you can see it on their faces.

8) TIMOR obturba(4) i sensi, e faccia smorta 8) FEAR troubles the senses, and makes pale
Rende, e tremito il cor per lui si sente,    the face; one feels his heart tremble because of it,
E l'occhio il mostra con sua vista torta.    And the eye shows it with an oblique glance.

9) TIMOR non ha sol, di quel ch'è presente,  9) FEAR has no doubts, about what is
Dubbio: ma teme, ben che sia lontano,        present: but even though it be far away, it fears
Il periculo, e a sé pargli imminente.        Danger, and to fear danger seems near.

10) TIMOR de certo è a imaginarlo vano,     10) FEAR is certainly vain when you imagine it,
E dove timor regna, ognun concorre          And where fear reigns, everyone agrees
Che invalido quel corpo sia e mal sano.     That that body is ill and not healthy.

11) TIMOR Fineo fra gli omini una torre     11) FEAR transformed Phineas, a tower among men,
Converse in saxo col Meduseo volto,         Into stone, by the face of Medusa;
Ché a' timidi fortuna non soccorre.         But fortune does not help the timid.

12) TIMOR Ptolemeo re, subito volto         12) FEAR once turned king Ptolemy
Ebbe contra Pompeo, sol per paura           Against Pompey, merely because Ptolemy was afraid
Che Cesar non gli avesse il regno tolto.    That Caesar would have taken his kingdom away from him.

13) TIMOR non lasso Andromeca secura        13) FEAR prevented Andromache from saving
Del figlio, visto Ulixe: e intrar lo fece   Her son, seeing Ulysses: and made him enter
Del patre Ector entro la sepultura.         Into the same tomb as his father Hector.

14) TIMOR Dyonisio del tonsore in vece      14) FEAR: Dionysius, instead of a barber,
Uso le proprie figlie, cum carboni          Had his own daughters shave him with coals, in order
Per fugir ferro; e al fin non fugi nece.    To avoid iron; and in the end he did not avoid it.

Ché mal se fugge quel che 'l ciel dispone.  Because it is difficult to avoid what
                                              has been decided by heaven.