Celestial Tarot - The High Priestess (Moon)

MareSaturni

Time for a new card!

II - THE HIGH PRIESTESS ~ MOON ~

In this card, we see a woman with very pale skin...she is wearing a long, blue/purple-ish skirt, but her torso is naked. She's covering her face with a translucid veil, and has her eyes closed. She's standing on the moon, apparently.
Around her, we see symbols of the moon, the water and the letter gimel. Unlike the other cards, the symbols aren't golden...they are white-ish. I also don't see anywhere the symbol of Cancer, the zodiac sign ruled by the Moon.
Behind her, drawn in white, there's a small and faint image of a high priestess, sitting between two pillars and wearing a moon crown.

Here you can see the card.

~Yuko

WhiteRaven

To me she looks like she's starting to take off the veil...to reveal the mysteries to us or rather the Fool.....

Umm.....Cancer is associated with the Chariot. High Priestess is simply the Moon. (Ruler that is)....I think the creator just put the symbols of the ruler for each Major.

In the LWB it states :

"...As the half veiled goddess is inviting us into her mysteries, responding to our urge to be engaged in her reverie and to unveil the truth."

This is one of the reasons why I see it as her beginning to take her veil off...
even the pose she has....think of someone trying to take off a T-Shirt and how their hands go above their heads to get the task done....

MareSaturni

WhiteRaven said:
Umm.....Cancer is associated with the Chariot. High Priestess is simply the Moon. (Ruler that is)....I think the creator just put the symbols of the ruler for each Major.

I know, but in the other 'planet' cards there is always the symbols of the signs they rule. Aquarius is assiciated with the Star, but you can see it's symbol in the Fool (Uranus). I just found weird that the High Priestess doesn't show Cancer's symbol. ;)

WhiteRaven said:
This is one of the reasons why I see it as her beginning to take her veil off...

Yes, i agree with you. She's taking her veil off...it also reminds me of the moon that's behind the clouds...and then suddenly appears, bright in the sky, illuminating things in the night.
The High Priestess might be the one who will illuminate for us things some mysteries we would never find without her light.

~Yuko

13thFaeChylde

Looking at this card this morning...it reminded me of the painting "Night with her Train of Stars" by Edward Robert Hughes. ..."Selene yoked her shimmering horses to her chariot and drove it across the night sky mesmerizing earth in the gentle glow of her moonlight."

(here's the pic)
http://www.mageist.net/train.html

The veil that she is removing could be from herself to give to us, so that we may cover our eyes to see what lies beneath, deep below the surface. The inner life that we do not see when paying so much attention to what is outside of ourselves.

Cerulean

I just discovered something...maybe fun for Moon or Cancer fans...

Every image of the Moon, beginning with the High Priestess, shows a different phase of the Moon...

The HP is either the Progressed New Moon...judging from what I see in the Feb/March issue of the Mountain Astrologer..so she is just beginning to unveil...

Cardinal Water or King of Cups seems to be progressed crescent moon

Cancer or the Chariot seems to be the progressed first quarter moon

Pisces or the Moon card seems to be the progressed gibbous moon

Mutable Water or Prince of Cups seems to be the progressed disseminated moon...

I was trying to understand all the moon cards in this deck or references...and the moon phases seem all different. I may have missed other cards with moon references in this deck...but thought this might be fun...

If you can access the website scans, it might be easier to check through to see if you see any 'moon images' and if they all differ...they do in my look-see...

http://www.tarot.com/about-tarot/decks/browsedecks.php?newdeck=73

Cerulean

rcb30872

Elemental Symbol ~ Water
Astrological Ruler ~ Moon
Astrological Correspondence ~ Cancer

Cancer
Cancers accomplish some remarkable goals and accomplishments through thei course of their lives and many Cancers make a global impact. Those Cancers who learn to balance their emotions and rely upon their instincts and intuition to guide their daily decisions often leave a lasting legacy. Because they are intimately familiar with the hidden aspects of themselves, they know that most people and situations are not what they appear to be on the suface, but ironically, few people know this about them. Their outer shell protects many thing about and within them - like their vulnerabilities, their strengths and all of their secret desires, plans and ambitions. Their feelings make them highly creative and super-imaginative. Where they can manage it, tapping into their inner worl is time well spent because they have tapped into it, their ability to sense things in the air and delve deep inside their own inner resources, highlights and show them their innate psychic abilities. Their psychic sense together with their emotions make them a powerful negotiator (and manipulator) whether they admit it to themselves or not. They are the zodiac's most successful weaver of invisible magic.

Moon's Influence on Cancer
Just as the moon can be jolly when it is full, and rather intimidating when it as it its lowest ebb, Cancers can run hot and cold too. The ruling planet, the Moon, ensures that their emotional world is kept in a constant flux and for that reason their feelings sometimes take over and run their lives. Usually, life does tend to pich them up and dust them off when they need it, because like the moon they are a reflection of everything and everyone around them and if they are allowed to lose their lustre, it isn't a great reflection of the world at all. They do try to be good and to rise above their moon-ruled unsteady emotions but often this is no easy task, because the moon has such a powerful, magnetic hold on Cancers that it's not easily broken. Remember that like the moon in its spiral dance across the sky, they must circle through darkness and light, thunderstorms and rainbows before they reflect their fullest, brightest light. The moon phase and whether the moon was harmoniously or discordantly connected to other planets at the time of their birth, all influence their emotional range and degree of their mood swings. If they were born under a more discordent moon aspect, they are one of the most emotionally charged up, over-reactive types of Cancer and their mood swongs can spin and twist them around in crazy circles. If they were born on a more favourable moon phase, their feelings are generally more balanced and harmonious and they experience less dramatic emotional "tick-tocks". Most Cancers have warm and loyal hearts and they are all operating under the magicel lunar forces fo the moon, so they are among the world's greatest and most mysterious magicians.

The Moon
It shows the everyday activities of life - how you get along with people, especially with women. The moon affects moods, memory and subconscious thoughts. The moon represents the mother, domestic matters and home life. Lunar types are emotional, sensitive, imaginative, domestic, instinctive and changeable. Some positive characteristics of the moon are inspiration, magnetism, visionary and positive psychic powers, flexibility, amorousness and creativity. Some of the negative characteristics of the moon are self-destructive or negative psychic powers, dreaminess, moodiness, possessiveness, smothering love and a tendency to be clannish. The moon rules nutrition, the stomach, the breasts, womb and impregnation, body fluids, the subconscious mind, insanity, instincts, memory and digestion.

:love:

Bec

Rhiamon

I don't really have anything to add, but this card is so interesting to me because of the traditional image of the HP in the background, why do ya suppose she's there? Or am I missing something?

rcb30872

Rhiamon said:
I don't really have anything to add, but this card is so interesting to me because of the traditional image of the HP in the background, why do ya suppose she's there? Or am I missing something?
I noticed that, and also wondered myself. Have not given it much thought, I wonder what anyone else has to say about this

Bec

MareSaturni

rcb30872 said:
I noticed that, and also wondered myself. Have not given it much thought, I wonder what anyone else has to say about this

Bec

I've noticed most of the cards have a white-ish traditional image on the background. I guess it's just to relate the bigger picture to the traditional meaning...like in the Chariot, the 'bigger' image is very different from what we are used to...

~Yuko