Hold On - You asked the cards WHAT?!

Dwaas

I got the Emperor so I didn't dare to eat folly happy cornflakes :D :D

Enough of this, back to this very interesting topic...

floracove

Rogan said:
Does anyone else think using the cards so frivilously might just as well mean your practice and opinion on the cards is just that - Frivilous?

No, I do not...
I am only me, I see with my eyes, feel with my heart, and think with my brain.
I'm different from others, they are different from me.

We all do things differently...

Dwaas

Can you be too dependant on the cards? Can it get to a stage where anyone else watching who didn't know what you were doing would think you've developed a serious co-dependence, even though you're doing it "for fun"...

Yes it is always possible that people not knowing me thinks I'm strange. Not only because of tarot and the questions I ask :) But why should I care? Beside of the stupid jokes I made in this thread I believe I don't ask my cards too many silly questions. But who can tell? And who cares? Being too dependant on anything is not wise but I think there are way more dangerous addictions possible then being addicted to asking "silly" questions with tarot cards. Especially when it is just for fun. And I have the confidence that a good deck would play as well, to show that it is not useful to over-ask it.
Blessings

Kiama

Personally I think that there is a line some people can cross between doing it for fun and becoming dependent on the cards. When you have to ask the cards before making a decision, in my opinion you are 'addicted' to Tarot - just as an alcoholic cannot function properly before he's had a beer, perhaps. And for me, I try to avoid addictions as much as possible. Sometimes, decisions need to be made on one's own, without anyone else's opinion, and without the cards.

In a similar way, I don't agree with people using the cards to get answers they could get in other, simpler ways. "Is my husband going to leave me?" "What does he/she think about me?" "Is so-and-so gay?" If you wanna find these things out folks, ask the people yourself! Tarot is not, in my opinion, an alternative to communication - with yourself and others.

BUT on the other hand I have no problem 'trivializing' the cards. I did a reading with Runes about soup at the Framlingham Tarot Conference; I've been asked questions about cars from querents. Tarot, for me, is a Map of the Universe: and I don't know about anyone else, but my universe does include all the trivial, mundane stuff that goes to make up life. Fun, laughing, dinner, taking one's shoes off, television, writing, having a bath, walking the dog... it's all a part of life as much as big issues such as divorce, spiritual paths, choices, moving house... And thus, I do believe Tarot can answer questions such as "what shall I have for dinner tonight?" and "how will the party go tonight?"

And as for having fun with the cards: I don't believe that somehow having fun, laughing, making light of things, is any less 'sacred' or 'useful' or 'important' than doing serious Tarot readings all the time. Through laughter and fun we can find out a lot about ourselves, the world around us, and the Tarot itself. Tarot shouldn't just be that tool we use when we're in dire need of some answers: it should be something we get enjoyment out of, something that brightens out day when we use it. Don't know about anyone else, but reading about somebody's divorce doesn't make my day any better, whereas asking a silly question about what the cards think of Eastenders, or whether I should have coffee or milkshake, or whether I'm gonna party til the sun comes up this evening does.

Kiama

Sophie

Just returned from lunch. They had a third choice - fish - which I hadn't considered. That was clearly what the 6 of Cups had in mind, since I love fish and it lives in water. There was broccoli as well - that must be the Marseille greenery.

Of course, as per Kiama's post on addiction, I would normally not bother to ask that of my cards. But it was fun to do, and broke up the monotony of office work - so all to the good I think. I don't know if you had that effect in mind when you started the thread, Rogan - but thanks anyway ;)

Dwaas - you don't think the Emperor likes cornflakes? What does he like? Red meat? (for breakfast???)

Oh dear, I had better be serious for a minute. Yes, I believe one can become dependent on the tarot. But not only through trivial questions. All interaction with tarot is potentially addictive if you can't do without. I use tarot more as brainstorming, for myself, or reflecting over issues. Tarot doesn't decide - I decide: but tarot can guide, or rather, help me look a the issue determining my decision from various angles. Whether you are reading for yourself or someone is reading for you - you know in your heart of hearts if a reading rings true. If it does, and you follow it, you haven't given your power away, IMO.

Now...what shall I have for supper? V-The Pope! Something conventional and hearty, I think - and that's good for me - even virtuous }) :p

Elven

Dwaas said:
I got the Emperor so I didn't dare to eat folly happy cornflakes

Ah yes but I see Mr W.K. Kelloggs on that throne and as history of his now successful empire, he structured the foundation of the Breakfast cereal in 1906. The concept was incredably successful, and the foundation of the history of the company was geared towards health and nutrition. The company itself has strong foundations and is equiring a marketshare which puts it in the top of its field.

Kellogg Company was formed when production of Kellogg’s Corn Flakes® W.K. Kellogg began worldwide expansion of the company in 1914. By 1938, Kellogg had build plants in England and Australia. After W.K. Kellogg’s death in 1951, Kellogg continued to expand its operations, building plants in Latin America and Asia. In 1958 Tony the Tiger® won a contest over Katy the Kangaroo to become the sole spokes-character for Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes® and a mainstay in American culture.

With 2003 sales of nearly $9 billion, Kellogg Company (NYSE: K) is the world’s leading producer of cereal and a leading producer of convenience foods. Kellogg products are manufactured in 17 countries and marketed in more than 180 countries around the world.

Kellogg has established itself as an industry leader with health-conscious, innovative breakfast choices like Special K, All Bran and 19 cereals.

Well the card has certainly enlightened me on CornFlakes (especially as a foundation of Kelloggs) and I can see where the Emperor card relates very well with this cereal. The establishment, foundation, leader, innovation, intent, direction and overseeing are all keywords which I would associate with the Emperor.

Now I have been enlightened on the subject - I may or may not choose to have Cornflakes for breakfast :)

Rogan said:
Does anyone else think using the cards so frivilously might just as well mean your practice and opinion on the cards is just that - Frivilous?

No :)

Blessings
Elven x

Cielo

:(

Got the Fool...no lunch for me I guess...I should just jump off the cliff....well the Dog on the card isn't Kosher, is it now?! :D

Sophie

Cielo said:
Got the Fool...no lunch for me I guess...I should just jump off the cliff....well the Dog on the card isn't Kosher, is it now?! :D
According to Umbrae, the Fool is the Lord of Apples, Cielo. So bite into it ;)

Elven

Helvetica said:
According to Umbrae, the Fool is the Lord of Apples, Cielo. So bite into it.
That is so interesting - because I thought of the fool and his rose - and there are fruits called 'Apple Roses' - they smell superb - like roses and taste like rosewater - but dont eat the seeds or the roots they're poisonous.

*Ok enough already Elven, LOL!! I have to go to bed now anyway :)*

memries

Now I know what I am doing incorrectly ! No kidding I mean it ! I just don't play with my cards enough. I treat them as if they were sacrosanct kind of like going to Church.
When you stop to think of it ..how many serious questions can you really ask about life shaking events...they just do not come every day. You handle them and move on so when you stop to think of it, using the cards for fun things and every day things is the only way you can use them every day.
I do read for close friends but that is it and hesitate to read for myself.
Think I have to get in gear here and put some play into my card reading.
Are you sure it is not the Page of Cups that means you should have fish for dinner ?