Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Decks Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Forum Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Spreads

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

Mlle Lenormand 
Resident

Question Celtic Cross Question

Is there a difinitive celtic cross? I've been using the following:

1. The Querent/Question
2. The obstacle
3. What is below you or in process of leaving
4. What has past you
5. What is crowning you
6. etc.

My questions are: What sort of time frame is number 4? Is it long past or immediate past? and how does it differ from 3?
Is 3 the immediate past?

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes"
Mlle Lenormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2002 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #1
Jenny-Li 
Citizen

Hm, no - actually I don't think there is ONE definitive version. I mean one of them must have been first, and thus the original version, but today there are many versions out there. And the good part is they are all good. The best thing is to find one that you're comfortable with and stick with that. And always make up your mind as to what all the positions are before you lay out the cards, even if you want to try other versions than your usual, otherwise I think it would be inviting confusion to your reading...!

I read the past not as a time frame, but as the background for the current situation. That means that sometimes it is just a couple of weeks back, sometimes a year, sometimes that position describes life all the way back to childhood for that person. The difference between this card and the below-card for me is that the below stands for the root, where the situation is rooted, and the past-card provides information about where this root has been, the past environment that has supported the growing of the situation for whatever timeframe.

I hope this makes sense...! And remember, this is just the way I read the positions, I may be the only one who does it this way...!

Light and love,
Jenny

Old 15-07-2002 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #2
Sullanciri2002 
Citizen

Smile

Hello Carolyn,
one thing I've noticed, is that "the" Celtic Cross gets explained differently in many different sources ... so it can be hard finding the way to read it that suits you.
The way I use it, the 3 stands more for aspects or influences that are only now becoming known to you ... which has little to do with how long they've been playing a part in the situation.
The 4 is the card that tells me which aspects or influences were active in the creation/origin of the situation, influences that played a part in how it came to be ... and crossreferencing that to most psychological theories indicated that's more in the "far" past than in recent times (although once again, it matters less than the fact that it has in some way led to the problem/situation)
Hope this helps ... but I'm sure you'll get as many offerings of advice that say completely different things.
Sullanciri2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2002 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #3
the hermit 
Citizen

Re: Celtic Cross Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Mlle Lenormand
Is there a difinitive celtic cross? I've been using the following:

1. The Querent/Question
2. The obstacle
3. What is below you or in process of leaving
4. What has past you
5. What is crowning you
6. etc.

My questions are: What sort of time frame is number 4? Is it long past or immediate past? and how does it differ from 3?
Is 3 the immediate past?
Mlle:
As already mentioned the Celtic Cross is an old spread that has many variations. A good place to see one of them is at Joan Bunning's website:

Learning the Tarot

within her site is much good information for beginners and advanced Tarot students. While she discuss it in several places, the Celtic Cross is specifically discussed on this part of the site:

Celtic Cross

She gives an excellent explanation of the spread using a tradition 10 card version of the cross with diagrams and instructions on laying out the spread and interpreting it.

Last edited by the hermit; 16-07-2002 at 05:50.
the hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2002 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #4
meatbox666 
Citizen

Card number 3 is the distant past....like what happened about 6 months ago. Card four is what recently happend three months until present.

Sullanciri said the same thing however I am going to add a time frame. The reason is to see what you are dealing with. Try it in your readings. Say to the person well, about six months ago, yadda yadda, but you have to try to develop that intuition to get the right month.

Last edited by meatbox666; 15-07-2002 at 23:02.
meatbox666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2002 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #5
kelli 
Resident

Re: Celtic Cross Question

Carolyn, I too have got a little confused with all the different variations of the celtic cross i have seen. I think its just a matter of finding the version that you feel most comfortable with and using that.

Ohh and thanks Hermit for posting that site.. (more reading for me to lose myself in )

Kelly

(by my pop who said it looooong before forrest gump)
kelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2002 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #6
Mlle Lenormand 
Resident

Thanks for all the good advice guys, I will check out those links and then it looks as if I should develop my intuition on this one. I suppose that having confidence in what you're doing is the major answer too.

Thanx

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes"
Mlle Lenormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2002 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #7